Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Hear, Hear! The Audiobook Thread

Page 2 / 4
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've only listened to a handful of audiobooks, mostly Tom Clancy and they didn't translate too well into that medium. Red Storm Rising, in particular, suffered terribly for the translation. It's difficult to do an audio telling of a battle of the types found in that book and I remember listening to it and thinking that there was perhaps 10 minutes of actual battle (symbolized by machine gun fire in the background) and mostly dialogue between the principals away from the action, whereas in the book it's almost 70% battle. They tried to do some exposition to explain what was going on but it just didn't mesh well with the format.

I can easily see how other books would be a natural fit for audiobooks though, especially ones where the book is mostly dialogue or is telling a simple or good story.

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : May 8, 2010 2:18 pm
Cymru
(@cymru)
NarniaWeb Nut

Has anyone listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks? I've been thinking of springing for those.

That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald

Posted : May 11, 2010 4:36 am
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I have not, but I have listened to the HP series narrator, Jim Dale, read Around the World in Eighty Days and he was simply brilliant!

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

Topic starter Posted : May 11, 2010 6:57 am
Amira Tair
(@amira-tair)
NarniaWeb Regular

I never really cared much for audiobooks, I always thought I would prefer to read, as my mind tends to get easily distracted if not reading - and even then .
However, I decided to to give them a try and I started with The Chronicles of Narnia - the BBC series. It's wonderful! I love how the readers - and excellent actors they are all - give each of the characters a differente voice, and how they bring to life the story. I specially liked Michael York, Derek Jacobi - brilliant! - and Jeremy Northam. Right now I am halfway MN and Kenneth Branagh is excellent, I love his performance of Uncle Andrew, it's hilarious, and I think he has nailed the character.
Although I have little experience with audiobooks so far, it has been quite interesting. I have found that listening to a book can change your perspective of the story. I'll explain: my least favourite of the CoN is SC; however, Jeremy Northam's performance has made me appreciate it more, and I have developed a certain fondness for the book. On the contrary, I was disappointed by HHB's reader - I don't remember his name right now - and that was the book I was looking forward to more eagerly.
On the full cast vs. single reader, I prefer a single reader, it seems to me more similar to the act of reading, more intimate in a way, whereas a full cast reminds me more of a theatrical experience. But I'm certain one day I'll give them a try. :)

Posted : May 18, 2010 10:12 pm
PrincessRosario
(@princessrosario)
NarniaWeb Nut

Due to having a very boring office job over the summer, I've been listening to audiobooks a lot recently. I'm currently on Book 5 of Harry Potter, and the reader is wonderful. Don't know his name, though -- Jim something?

EDIT: Wisewoman confirmed above that his name is Jim Dale. Cymru, I'd really suggest getting them. They are fabulous!

For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and along the way, lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted : May 19, 2010 8:49 am
Attolian Thief
(@attolian-thief)
NarniaWeb Regular

While I don't have much time to listen to them anymore I love audio books. I've listened to The Chronicles of Narnia(FOTF edition) The Hobbit, Some of the Harry Potter books, Nim's Island, some of Eoin Colfer's books, and my favorites most of Brian Jacques's books. Brian Jacques's books are a commbination of author narration and full cast, they are very well done and a extremly fun to listen to. As for what's better, single narration or full cast I would have to say that it depends narrator. Some can be very good, and others can put you to sleep.

It is in thier "good" characters that novelists make, unaware, the most shocking revelations. C.S. Lewis

Posted : July 5, 2010 6:42 am
Eagle Scout
(@eagle-scout)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Yay for audio books! some of my favorites are;
CoN (Harper audio)
Adams vs. Jefferson (Recorded books)
A Wrinkle in Time (Listening Libary)
The Reagan I knew (BlackStone audio)
Cheaper by the Dozen (Listening Libary)
And some more that are to political to mention here.

memento mori

Posted : July 10, 2010 6:20 am
Andrew
(@andrew)
NarniaWeb Nut

Has anyone listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks? I've been thinking of springing for those.

I have! I think the first four are somewhat poorly made, but still decent enough. The last 3, however, are very well done and enjoyable (:

5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!

Posted : July 10, 2010 8:41 am
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)

What do you mean by "poorly made"? I'm just curious. You would think that the HP narrations would be top-notch. Hmm.

I just finished listening to the second book in Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, Lost In A Good Book. It was really good, but I do wish Fforde and I agreed more on certain moral and political issues. Ah well. I don't recommend these to younger listeners because there is some profanity, but the story itself is quite imaginative and a lot of fun.

And I started my first Western, Lando by Louis L'Amour. It's okay so far. Sometimes the writing sounds very stilted and awkward. I don't think it's the reader's fault. It's a nice short audiobook at four discs (unabridged).

After that I will probably move on to the first Hornblower book, Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester. I've heard a lot of good things about the series and I'm looking forward to it :)

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

Topic starter Posted : July 11, 2010 10:50 am
Andrew
(@andrew)
NarniaWeb Nut

What do you mean by "poorly made"? I'm just curious. You would think that the HP narrations would be top-notch.

Well I should say that I rented all of them from the library, and as they get alot of use that could account for it, but there was a definite difference in clarity of sound between the first four and the last three. The fourth one especially sounded very muffled.

Here's a fun fact: in the first four, Voldemort's name is pronounced with a silent T at the end (Vol-de-more), because that's how JK Rowling said it was pronounced. However, after the movie was released, they changed the pronunciation in the audiobooks to match. B-)

5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!

Posted : July 11, 2010 12:51 pm
Miss Rosario
(@miss-rosario)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've listened to the Narnia (I guess they count as audiobooks?) as well as Anne of Green Gables. I'm currently in the middle of the Harry Potter series, thanks to my sister, and just finished Order of the Phoenix. The reader is excellent!

Here's a fun fact: in the first four, Voldemort's name is pronounced with a silent T at the end (Vol-de-more), because that's how JK Rowling said it was pronounced. However, after the movie was released, they changed the pronunciation in the audiobooks to match.

I noticed that. ;))

Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci

Posted : July 25, 2010 7:13 am
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)

The FotF audio dramas of the CoN definitely count! They were my first audiobooks when I started my long commute last year. They are brilliant and I've been thinking about listening to them again.

I'm almost done with Mr. Midshipman Hornblower and have enjoyed it very much, though things did lag a little in the middle. Maybe it was just that I had other things on my mind. I will finish that up today and will then start Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls, read by Anthony Heald. I've never read this classic and am looking forward to it! :)

Topic starter Posted : July 28, 2010 4:26 am
PrincessRosario
(@princessrosario)
NarniaWeb Nut

Well I should say that I rented all of them from the library, and as they get alot of use that could account for it, but there was a definite difference in clarity of sound between the first four and the last three. The fourth one especially sounded very muffled.

That's almost certainly due to heavy use. The recordings I have are great.

For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and along the way, lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted : July 28, 2010 11:52 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I just listened to the audio book for Bird Lake Moon by Kevin Henkes and it's read by Oliver Wyman. :) I love that guy's voice! he does a great job at audio books!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : August 2, 2010 6:04 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

My favorite audiobooks are those read by the authors themselves. :) Especially if it's a classic book. Does anyone have one of those.

I heard clips of Tolkien reading from TTT once. Also, Robert Frost reading his poetry. It's so amazing to hear the actual voice of the author of your favorite books. :D

~Riella =:)

Posted : February 11, 2011 10:29 am
Page 2 / 4
Share: