Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Hear, Hear! The Audiobook Thread

Page 3 / 4
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

My all-time favorite audio book is the Chronicles of Narnia audio drama. However, I'm not sure that really counts because it is an audio drama and not an actual audio book.

I heard a few Louis L'Amour short stories read by Willie Nelson which I borrowed from the library. Those were pretty good.

Over-all, I much prefer reading a book myself than having it read to me.

Posted : March 22, 2011 9:59 pm
Lilygloves
(@lilygloves)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Although I had read the books when I was little, FotF was the reason I really fell in love with Narnia. Because I was so little when I started reading, it was a lot easier for me to listen because it took less time and was easier to understand the plot and themes. I admit, even though I am definitely too old for Adventures in Odyssey, I still listen every day. That's my "dirty little secret"

Posted : April 11, 2011 4:10 pm
MinotaurforAslan
(@minotaurforaslan)
NarniaWeb Junkie

My family always listens to the Freddy the Pig audiobooks in the car during long trips - they're narrated by John McDonough, such a fantastic reader! He can create probably about 20 distinctive voices.

I'm currently listening to the Cat's Cradle audiobook by Kurt Vonnegut.

Posted : April 11, 2011 7:44 pm
Adeona
(@adeona)
Thursday's Wayfaring Child Hospitality Committee

Ah yes, Freddy the Pig. I have fond memories of listening to those with my brothers and sisters.

Recently my mom has been listening to a lot of "The Cat Who..." mysteries by Lillian Jackson Braun, narrated by George Guidall. I like his cat voices. :p The books themselves are mostly mediocre.

"In the end, there is something to which we say: 'This I must do.'"
- Gordon T. Smith
avi by Flambeau

Posted : April 13, 2011 6:34 pm
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm not much into audiobooks. Only own one, The Magician's Nephew. This I bought when I was first introduced to Narnia in 2005. I had already seen LWW, and bought all seven books. This was before I knew of the difference between chronological and published order.

I liked TMN audiobook,
I originally planned on getting the final six too but found it to be to expensive, at least through iTunes where they each cost $16. Not a price I want to pay for something I already have, (I didn't pay attention to the price when I bought TMN).

However,
I recently bought the Radio Theater set from Focus on the Family, all seven stories. It was $26 for all seven. I just finished listening to the first one, LWW- (though like with the books its ordered in chronological order I decided to do it published order). I loved the LWW radio theater, I did it between two days, one disc each day. From beginning to end it was wonderful- Aslan's voice took some getting used to but it turned out fine too. :)

Posted : August 9, 2011 12:27 pm
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

One of my favorite books to hear on audio book is the Silmarillion. Martin Shaw's voice is so deep and rich; it brings Tolkien's mythic stories to an even greater life.

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : August 9, 2011 4:59 pm
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

so having loved the LWW audio drama from Focus on the Family, I decided I wouldn't do them too close together so that I could enjoy them for a longer period. Finally I did the Prince Caspian audio drama. This one took me a little longer to listen. Like the book, I like it less than LWW. I don't know why this one just isn't the same. It was a great audio drama however, just not like LWW.

Posted : September 20, 2011 4:53 pm
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I have a question: though I've usually not been big on audio books, I am eager to listen to an Anne of Green Gables one. I really want to find the Megan Follows one because I'm so used to her voice as Anne, but my library does not carry that one. :( They have the one by Shelley Fraiser and Kate Burton--out of these, which one would be the best to get? If I could find it, I'd love to get a CD of the Anne audiobook narrated by Megan Follows...but since this isn't feasible, I'd really love to hear which one would be better to borrow from the Shelley Fraiser and Kate Burton one, or even both of their pros and cons... :) I did see the Focus on the Family version quite frequently on the library catalog and amazon, but I understood that it's more a full cast narrating instead of one person reading out of the book. I kind of want the latter, which is why I'd be interested in someone reading. :)
Thank-you in advance. :)

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : November 28, 2011 10:25 am
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with either of those readers. My version is narrated by Barbara Caruso (I haven't listened to it yet). I started a topic in the Kindred Spirits group over at LibraryThing; maybe someone will have some input :)

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

Topic starter Posted : November 29, 2011 8:27 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Hmm... Personally, I don't enjoy audio books, barring a few exceptions. I find that my mind wanders too easily while listening to them, especially if I'm listening to one in the car while I'm driving. If I'm listening on an Mp3 player, the result is a bit better but I might just be in the minority when I say, "give me a book instead, any day".

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : November 29, 2011 3:41 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Hmm... Personally, I don't enjoy audio books, barring a few exceptions. I find that my mind wanders too easily while listening to them, especially if I'm listening to one in the car while I'm driving. If I'm listening on an Mp3 player, the result is a bit better but I might just be in the minority when I say, "give me a book instead, any day".

Same here. I don't own a single audiobook. I even space out when people read to me in real life. I need to have my eyes literally reading the words in order to take them in fully.

~Riella =:)

Posted : November 29, 2011 4:01 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Interesting. Part of my dislike also has to do with audiobooks having poor voice-acting or not enough range (one person doing all of the voices, even those of characters that are male/female), or you realize how bad the writing is once something is read out-loud (Wormwood etc. by G.P. Taylor). I don't always need to be reading the book to take it in, but most of the time it helps greatly. For example, all through primary/elementary school when the teacher read the class novel, I listened intently and imagined the stories playing out in my mind. Focus on the Family: Narnia are great but they're best listened to in a dark room, without any distractions (then you can just drink in the experiences). Otherwise, I much prefer a real book.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : November 29, 2011 5:01 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

One audio drama I think would be cool to try listening to is The Screwtape Letters with Andy Serkis. :) I might try that one sometime.

~Riella =:)

Posted : November 29, 2011 5:23 pm
Dylan
(@dylan)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I love the Focus on the family Narnia audiobooks, they absolutly rock! http://forum.narniaweb.com/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=10#

Posted : November 30, 2011 4:23 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Thanks for opening that topic, WW! I really appreciate it! :) I see someone said the Barbara Caruso version is good, and I do recall seeing that either on the catalog or on amazon, so if nothing else, I'll look into that one. Thanks!

Warrior, I am in the minority who would prefer a book in print (to date, I don't think I've heard a full book via audiobook except for one in the car my mom was listening to a few years ago) because that way I'll focus better on it and also, I'd remember it better if I see it in print, but I like the productivity that interesting audiobooks offer. ;)) And, also, if it's an interesting book like Anne of Green Gables, for me, I find audiobooks like that fascinating.

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : November 30, 2011 6:10 am
Page 3 / 4
Share: