Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Hear, Hear! The Audiobook Thread

Page 1 / 4
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)
Member Moderator Emeritus

How do you read a book that isn't printed? You listen to it, of course! :) Over the past 30 years (yes, harking back to the 1980s), the audiobook format has become more and more common. Libraries have sections devoted to audiobooks, both fiction and nonfiction, and the format has become increasingly popular with the advent of iPods and other portable audio devices. And according to a recent study by the National Endowment for the Arts, audiobook listening is currently one of very few "types" of reading that is increasing general literacy.

Audio/radio dramas are another highly popular genre of audio entertainment. Old-time radio shows can now be enjoyed anywhere that your iPod can go. Audio dramas add sound effects and music to enhance the actors' performance and create an entertainment medium that is somewhere between a movie and a printed book. The BBC is one prolific producer of audio dramas, and Focus on the Family Radio Theatre is another that has created many beloved series (like The Chronicles of Narnia). Another very popular and longstanding radio drama is Adventures in Odyssey.

A lot of listeners (like myself) listen to audiobooks during our commutes to and from work. My daily drive is an hour each way, and it became much less burdensome when I started listening to audiobooks! My first were FotF's The Chronicles of Narnia (what a great way to start, right? :D). Since then I've listened to a variety of audiobooks, including the genres of mystery, humor, drama, classics, YA, fantasy, and more. My local libraries have a pretty good collection. Right now I'm in the middle of the unabridged production of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, read by Simon Vance. It's fantastic!

So have you enjoyed any audio works? What are your favorites? Who are the best readers/narrators? Do you prefer a single reader or a full-cast production? Or are you unfamiliar with audiobooks and want to try one? This is the place to discuss! :)

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

Topic starter Posted : May 6, 2010 2:36 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Lets see...

Old Time Radio:

The Lone Ranger
Sherlock Holmes
Philip Marlowe
Richard Diamond
Boston Blackie
Johnny Dollar
Sam Spade
Box 13

and the list goes on... ;)) These are among the shows I LOVE listening to. Back in the days where even a 15 minute OTR program (like Superman and Johnny Dollar) could have a complete plot and not leave anything out.

Adventures in Odyssey...

I can remember listening to Odyssey in the late 80s on our way to church. I would bug my parents to let me listen if we were "late" turning to the station that carried it. I haven't listened as much the last few years, but I loved the early years.

Focus on the Family Radio Theatre:

I've heard (and own) all of the Narnia cds. I love those. I've heard bits of Little Women. I have Ben Hur but have yet to listen to it. That's on my schedule for when I get my laptop back.

Full cast vs. single reader...

Depends on the reader. If the reader can make their vocal patterns unique enough so that the characters actually sound like characters and not someone just reading the lines (i.e. inflection and lot of it!) then I'm fine with a single reader. I tend to go towards the full cast though.

Posted : May 6, 2010 2:48 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Oh my, where to begin?! Sadly, I don't have that much opportunity to listen to audio books. Mainly we enjoy them while on longer car trips, but years ago our youngest son had a job of labeling thousands of flyers for a local book/music store, and we whiled the hours away by listening to FotF's Narnia Radio Theatre! And not each story just once, but over and over again. Wonderful! We also took in FotF's excellent adaptations of Les Misérables and A Christmas Carol, as well as BBC Radio's The Lord of the Rings, with Ian Holm as Frodo, which was kind of fun to get used to, since his distinctive voice remains fixed as Bilbo in my mind. ;))

Others we have listened to over time are Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness and Nightmare Academy, both read by the author, whose reading aloud I really enjoy, along with his fantastically exciting plots.

Some audios we have, but have not yet listened to, are Ben Hur and
The Hiding Place (Corrie Ten Boom). One I recently picked up on sale is The Secret Garden. :)

I'd love to hear some Dickens and some Sherlock Holmes on audio, and want to purchase Little Women sometime.

starkat, I'm dittoing you on your thoughts about single reader versus full cast. I tend to enjoy the full dramas more, but some single readers are very adept at changing their voice for each character, which really adds a lot to becoming engrossed in a story.

Anyway for audio books! :D And great Into, Amy!

(Edited as I had forgotten to include A Christmas Carol!)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : May 6, 2010 5:22 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

If you have iTunes, they have free Old Time Radio podcasts that you can download and listen to. They have a Sherlock Holmes one among many many others. I usually have about 300-500 Old Time Radio podcasts downloaded at any time. ;))

Posted : May 6, 2010 5:43 am
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard any of the Sherlock Holmes shows, kat. They sound like they would be fun. I did just listen to an Agatha Christie mystery, The Body in the Library, not too long ago. It was a single-reader production with Stephanie Cole as the narrator, and she did a wonderful job. I especially liked how she voiced Miss Marple.

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

Topic starter Posted : May 6, 2010 6:00 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I far prefer the quality of the productions starring Nigel Bruce and Basil Rathbone and the actors that followed or filled in. They were a much better audio quality then some of the other versions and the stories were unique.

I've been listening to Sherlock Holmes and The Lone Ranger just about 6 - 8 hours a day this week while at work. ;)) I'd probably have to say that they are my favorites.

OH! And The Green Hornet! Can't forget about that one! A "good guy" whom everyone thinks is the worst criminal in the city!

Posted : May 6, 2010 7:14 am
De_De
(@de_de)
NarniaWeb Guru

I don't listen to audiobooks much, but recently I have been listening to The Shack and it is awesome.

I don't know if the Bible read by Alexander Scorbe is considered an audiobook, but I listen to that a lot. And it is really nice!!!

Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club

Posted : May 6, 2010 8:01 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

here's some of my favorite audio books:

Travel Team (book by Mike Lupica)
Miracle On 49th Street ( book by Mike Lupica)
The Chronicles Of Narnia (Focus On The Family)

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : May 6, 2010 9:47 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

some faves...

The Chronicles Of Narnia (Focus On The Family)
A Christmas Carol (Focus on the Family)
Magic Tree House series
Adventures in Odyssey
I, Juan de Pajera (not sure about the spelling)
Dr. Doolittle
Your Story Hour
some other history tapes we had.

Posted : May 6, 2010 9:55 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I am actually quite obsessed with Travel Team (read by Oliver Wyman)! if you have not heard it, then you should! it's really good! :D

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : May 6, 2010 10:12 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

My parents are big audiobook fans, but I tend to lean toward reading the book. Although, if there's an especially great audiobook I'd love to listen to it. I'm not one to sample, though, because an over-energetic or monotonus voice could ruin the book for me...

The only audiobook I remember hearing is one of The Little Mermaid by Grimm brothers. It was really lovely, because of the music played but the lady's voice was raspy.

Audiobooks based on Dicken's work is of great interest to me; I must search that up sometime. :)

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : May 6, 2010 2:28 pm
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

As much as I try to only listen to audiobook it never really works without me having the actual book in front of me. I usually dose off.

Though when I do and you are all going to think I'm weird, i listen to the Narnia audiobooks, mostly SC when I go to sleep and I'll dream the story as one of the characters in my head. It's fun. :D ;)

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : May 7, 2010 8:39 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I love listening to audio books when I am knitting! it's so calming and it helps me concentrate on both the knitting and the story! :D

oh, I forgot to mention that I like the audio book for Jeanne Duprau's book "The City Of Ember" :)

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : May 7, 2010 11:08 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

I haven't listened to very many audiobooks. Nearly all of the ones that I have listened to were done by Focus on the Family Radio Theater. Narnia is definitely a favorite.
Radio shows I have listened to include:
Adventures in Odyssey: one of the best radio shows ever.
Down Gilead Lane: a fun show. I know one of the actors.
Jungle Jam and Friends the Radio Show: spent a lot of hours listening to Gruffy, Millard, the Cheetah Sisters, and the rest.
Gunsmoke: listened to this a lot on some of our road trips.
Children's Bible Hour: I can still the song they played at the beginning of every episode.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : May 8, 2010 11:49 am
Aravis Narnia
(@aravis-narnia)
NarniaWeb Nut

I have listened to a lot of books on audio. Since I have to drive so much and do not have that much spare time to sit down and read books on print, I listen to a lot of books. And yes, I have The Chronicles of Narnia on CD. It is the only audiobook I actually own- the rest I check out from the library.

Posted : May 8, 2010 2:15 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: