Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 8 / 154
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

*hands out homemade popsicles to all who are dripping with humidity*

*gladly accepts one*

We haven't been as insanely hot as you folks up in the Northern parts of the midwest, but things have been pretty "soupy" here. The air is very "Muggly" (which is an invented word combining Muggy and Ugly ;)) ) and sweat just stays on you like an extra coating of clothing.

Ugh.

Plus, despite the fact that it's been super humid, we haven't had any rolling thunderstorms, or those really severe pop-up thunder cells. After record flooding in June and July, we're back to the too-dry state of things.

The weather here is just blistering heat, unending sunlight, and air as thick as an elephant's hide.

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : August 26, 2013 12:34 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Another record high today. *sigh* ;)) 97F/36C with the heat index reaching 105F/41C. A few days a year of this heat is enough; I can't imagine living with it for months and months like some of our members do.

Even our lows are staying hot - it only got down to 77F/25C this morning, so I dashed out for some errands and groceries before returning home to camp in front of the A/C.

The TV meteorologists have commented that at least one model has these 90s extending at least to September 10. That'd be some kind of record, I imagine, for so late in the season (after all, our possible snow season begins September 14). Spring came late, so I guess everything's just behind. ;))

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : August 26, 2013 1:22 pm
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Thank you my dear hobbit, I think I will try one. *takes popsicle, and takes a looooooooooooonnnnng lick) MMMMMMMMM Quite satisfying. My compliments
Indeed the dreaded heat refuses to abate. Even one of those good drenching storms that DiGoRyKiRke mentioned would be nice. It would at least offer some temporary repreave.
I think even the insects are begining to feel it. I got back from the Scout meeting at the park this evening with hardly a bite. Not complaining mind you.
Well, off to the marshes. There drying up a bit, but I still might find a spot that's deep enough to sink into, and cool off.
Hmm. Six left. Can't let them melt, and go to waste. * takes another popsicle, and heads off*

Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2013 4:29 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Muggly - good word for these soupy days. ;))

We had some glorious thunderstorms yesterday with heavy downpours (rain was needed, so this was good), but, alas, they did nothing to drop the humidity.

A few days a year of this heat is enough; I can't imagine living with it for months and months like some of our members do.

My sentiments as well. #:-s

Whilst our temperatures are not quite as high as yours, my MN friends, still it's nearing 100F each day here, and only dropping to 70 at night. Oh, for the crisp days of 40-50F temps, and down to near freezing at night. Yet, as with the MNers, our forecast with this hot, sticky weather extends well into next week.

Bra-a-a-a-a-a-ce yourself! ;))

Thankfully, every few days we should be having some good rainfall ... having the cloudcover is a teensy bit better than that bright orb burning down everywhere. ;)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : August 27, 2013 6:28 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It's hard to believe parts of our area were flooded just 2 months ago. A dry spell combined with this record heat means much of the state has returned to "abnormally dry" or worse, according to the Drought Monitor (but nothing as serious as areas to the south and west of here).

The unusual heat - with highs up to 20F/11C over normal - continues. The low temperature Sunday morning was 80F/27C - the latest in the summer such a reading has been recorded here.

A brief respite is predicted for Monday, with highs around normal, before we go back into the 90s for the first week or so of September.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : August 28, 2013 8:11 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

On Sunday it will be officially spring (September 1st). But the trees down this way, especially the European ones, don't know whether it is spring or autumn. We've had the mildest winter on record, this year, according to BOM (Bureau of Meteorology), following record-breaking heat last summer. It is dry as well, down here, and already there have been a series of bushfires on the Central Coast and elsewhere. We don't need heaters any more, not even in evenings.

An El Nino or what?

Posted : August 28, 2013 1:09 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

A warmer than average winter here wouldn't be too bad. ;))

Meanwhile, The Old Farmers Almanac is predicting a colder than usual winter for the US and Canada, using terms like 'piercing cold.' Meteorologists, however, tend to question their methodology and accuracy of their predictions.

I wanted to share an amusing Freudian slip on today's noon weathercast. The local TV stations broadcast their news shows live from the State Fair, which has seen a lot of humidity and record heat this year. However, right now it's cloudy and comparatively cool (only 78F/26C, which is the about the average high right now), so the crowd cheered when the weatherman came on to do his segment. He replied, "Remember this when it snows later this summer - I mean winter." He added that the way this year has been, it could still snow this summer. ;))

Posted : August 30, 2013 7:26 am
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

The temperature went all the way down to...80F/26.7C this morning. Had 2 days at 101F/38.3C this week. Will probably hit 100F/37.8C today.

The average daily low has been about 78F/25.6C for over 10 days now. Doesn't allow things to really cool off at all. Looking forward to the the Fall/Autumn weather. B-)

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

Posted : September 7, 2013 6:38 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That's just plain hot, GlimGlum, if you ask me. ;)) Kudos on handling it so well.

After a couple days of pleasant weather we're back into the hot and humid 90s again. It's a bit late for that, though the same happened last year around this time.

Autumn is coming indeed, Glimmie! Can't wait. Only 7 days till the start of the possible snow season. :)

Posted : September 7, 2013 10:51 am
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

We did get a break today, Mr. gazer. After hitting 100F/37.8C early this afternoon, a monsoon-like thunderstorm hit with heavy rains and the temperature has dropped 18F degrees.

Only 82F/27.8C at the moment.

Autumn is coming indeed, Glimmie! Can't wait. Only 7 days till the start of the possible snow season. :)

Wow! Snow season could be that close for you. I'll bet a certain hobbity mod up in Canada can't wait for that white stuff to start falling sooner rather than later. ;)

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

Posted : September 7, 2013 1:00 pm
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Ah snow. That fabled state of water, which does coat the ground with it's thick blanket of wonderfully cool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sorry folks, just mentally dozing after a loooooong day of overtime in a hot, and humid factory #:-s
Though, as stargazer has already mentioned, the season may well be upon those of us in the great planes of the mid-west. Looking at the weather channel and they call for highs in the mid sixties by late next week.
And guess what I'm doing then. Camping! Break out the winter gear!!!!

Topic starter Posted : September 7, 2013 5:38 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Meanwhile, The Old Farmers Almanac is predicting a colder than usual winter for the US and Canada, using terms like 'piercing cold.' Meteorologists, however, tend to question their methodology and accuracy of their predictions.

Hurrah for the Farmers' Almanac! I tend to trust them more than the meteorologists. :)) Those farmers have proven themselves accurate so many times, from my experience.

*chuckles at the "snows later this summer" Freudian slip* ;))

Looking forward to the the Fall/Autumn weather.

Whew, I bet you are, Glim! *dittos 'gazer on the kudos* B-) And glad to hear you received some rain. :)

And guess what I'm doing then. Camping! Break out the winter gear!!!!

If anyone can handle that, I do believe a Marshwiggle can. ;)

So, after a glorious 8C/46.4F early Monday morning, tomorrow will be rocketing up to a high of 34C/93.2F with a heat index of 42C/107.6F! :-o Thankfully, being September, this will be short-lived, with cooler, more seasonable temperatures greeting us by Thursday afternoon. Showers will begin to usher in this desired change late Wednesday.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : September 9, 2013 9:47 am
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)

The almanac says that NE Ohio where Mansfield is will be mild and not very snowy, while it says that Central Ohio where Columbus is will be much colder and snowier than normal. Not quite sure what to make of that :P

We're in for a scorcher for the next three days. Highs for Today - Thursday are going to be in the mid nineties. . . . . ridiculous! Thankfully, the bottom will drop out, and the weekend is going to be nice and mild with highs in the low to mid sixties :D

Posted : September 10, 2013 1:38 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Our cold front came through today. :D :D :D It was really quite lovely out (though I'm sure you northerners would still find it much too hot). Tomorrow's high is 82F with the overnight low of 61F. I'm toying with the idea of pitching a tent in the backyard tomorrow night for fun. :D

Posted : September 12, 2013 3:27 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)

82 = Too Hot. . . . .

Tomorrow's expected high is in the low 60's!!!!!! I cannot contain my excitement over that!

Posted : September 12, 2013 3:38 pm
Page 8 / 154
Share: