[Closed] Athletes Anonymous

Page 2 / 2
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

*Is also a member of Intervarsity. :D*

*ahem!* Back on topic. :)
I just started swimming regularly. I grew up playing soccer, but it's hard to play soccer to keep in shape when you aren't in an organized league anymore. I tried running, but I hated it. So far, I love swimming. It leaves me feeling tired, but not in the desperate way running did.

Posted : May 13, 2011 2:10 pm
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Softball, basketball and cheerleading are my sports (yes cheerleading is considered a sport and considered one of the top 3 most dangerous sports) :p I would know I had to jump from a 35 feet tall diving board and four girls below me in an emty pool had to catch me during a practice. I was a cheerleader from 7th grade all the way to 11th, in my senior year I quit cheerleading to consentrate more on my acting.

I've played in t-ball leagues since I was four and went on an allstar softball team when I was 7 and played on teams since I was 14. My postions were at first an outfielder to short stop, first base, and pitcher.

I've been playing on basketball teams since I was 11-12 or 13. I played on YMCA teams and was pretty good at it. In middle school my PE teacher wanted me to tryout for the girls basketball team, I did but this girl was trying out that didn't like me a lot at school and constantly teased me shoved me into a fan and dislocated my shoulder. I didn't get on the team and she was disqualified from tryouts. Because of this I lost interest in playing basketball but I still love to watch it.

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : May 13, 2011 7:59 pm
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I forgot to mention, I also rock climb. Rock climbing is lots of fun and it can be pretty intense. I went on a half hour hike to a rock climbing area and then climbed for several hours before hiking back two weeks ago with a group of people. It was awesome!

Sweet! I really want to try rock climbing, but I have a slight problem with heights... #:-s . I can be on the top of a mountain or on the edge of a scree slope and not care, but there's something about clinging to a vertical rock wall... I hope I get me courage up someday ;)

Posted : May 17, 2011 1:57 pm
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

I forgot to mention, I also rock climb. Rock climbing is lots of fun and it can be pretty intense. I went on a half hour hike to a rock climbing area and then climbed for several hours before hiking back two weeks ago with a group of people. It was awesome!

Sweet! I really want to try rock climbing, but I have a slight problem with heights... #:-s . I can be on the top of a mountain or on the edge of a scree slope and not care, but there's something about clinging to a vertical rock wall... I hope I get me courage up someday ;)

That's why you have a rope and someone belaying you. ;)

Posted : May 17, 2011 3:38 pm
Lucy of Narnia
(@lucy-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

I want to go rock-climbing! :D or so I think. I have never tried it. I don't mind heights sometimes, other times I'm too chicken. ;)) How high exactly do you climb? :)

Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!

Posted : May 17, 2011 4:51 pm
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

I want to go rock-climbing! :D or so I think. I have never tried it. I don't mind heights sometimes, other times I'm too chicken. ;)) How high exactly do you climb? :)

As high as you want depending on how long of a rope you have. The highest I've climbed is a tower of rock about 50 feet high. One of the guys in the group I went with had climbed a cliff 500 feet high. He didn't do it all at once though. He and a buddy climbed it about 50 feet at a time. One would climb up to a ledge hammering in pitons and clipping on the carabiners. Then, the guy who'd climbed up would belay from on top while the second guy climbed up and removed the pitons. Then, they'd start all over from that ledge. I'd love to do something like that sometime! I haven't learned how to climb with pitons and carabiners because I've only climbed stuff where there was an anchor at the top. The rocks where I went climbing a few weeks ago are used for climbing all the time so there were permanent anchors at five different spots.

Posted : May 17, 2011 5:31 pm
Radagast of Mirkwood
(@radagast-of-mirkwood)
NarniaWeb Regular

If Ultimate Frisbee is not a sport, almost no sports are. I get more painful falls and bruises from that sport more than any other. My friend and I play an indoor version due to lack of space and its a bit more violent than the normal. If I need a great workout Ultimate is the sport I play.

I love Baseball and I used to play it. I was a 2nd Baseman in youth baseball and I was pretty good. Sadly I stopped playing and now I am terrible at baseball.

I am going to be on my new school's soccer team this year. They are a former powerhouse who has um fallen on hard times (They went like 1-16-1 last year) So basically if you are at all athletic they want you on the team. Even if you have no soccer experience. So it will be interesting this year.

Protector of the Birds and Beasts of Middle Earth.

Posted : May 18, 2011 2:43 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I'm not much of a competitive sports person because I can be rather poor loser. It doesn't help that I'm not very good at them. ;))
A few though that I've done in the past that I've enjoyed.....

Bicycling - I've never done it more than outside of a family outing setting, but when I was little, my dad and I would bike the neighborhood with plastic bags and pick up aluminum cans. My dad used to joke that this was for my college fund. ;)

Roller blading - I haven't skated in years, but I've never forgotten how much fun this was. I used to skate both around neighborhoods but also hang out with friends at the roller rink.

Climbing - It started with trees at a young age. ;)) And by the time I hit college, I was pretty decent. I never did find the official rock wall climbing group (they existed), but the athletic center had the coolest device ever. The closest I can come to describing it was a treadmill set upright with rocks screwed into it. It would tilt and pitch various degrees to mimic changes in a rock face you might be climbing, but usually I'd just set it on a 5 degree slope and climb for 10 minutes straight. It was a fantastic cardio exercise and I WISH that I could find one where I live now.

Walking - About the only form of exercise I get now. And even then I'm not that great at consistently do it. But it's finally warming up outside so hopefully I can get back into consistently doing it again. :)

Posted : May 18, 2011 3:34 am
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Has anyone on here been canoeing? I've done it ever since I went to Church Camp with my youth group in 2001. We had a race competition and my group won first place. I did another conoeing race and I won again. Now I go to reserves and canoe almost every summer now. Since I live in Louisiana it's really beautiful down in them bayous and swamps. Next time i do it i'll get some pictures for you guys, it really is beautiful.

So have anyboby canoed, went water rafting? etc?

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : May 18, 2011 8:25 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Watching others rock climb, on formations like Palisade Head or Devils Tower is as close as I've come to it.

Canoeing, on the other hand, I enjoy (though I've never done it competitively). In fact, I just did some over the past weekend with my brother and his kids. And we canoed in the Boundary Waters lakes quite frequently in my younger days. Kayaking is great fun as well.

Walking or hiking is my primary form of sport/exercise now. I need to get back in shape after a rather lengthy winter.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : May 18, 2011 11:08 am
Sparky
(@sparky)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Well, back when I was between the ages of 4 and 12, I played 8 years of soccer, 4 years of basketball in a development league, 3 years of baseball(first 2 years were tee-ball, 3rd was machine pitch and I was terrible), and 1 years of football(I was a defensive lineman, and didn't like it much). Then I didn't play anything "organized" until high school, when I played 2 years of competitive basketball. More casually, I play flag football with friends and still do some pick-up basketball.

Mark my words, someday I will think of something brilliant to put in my sig.

Posted : May 20, 2011 11:40 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Only went canoeing a few times. But I go kayaking quite often. Last year me and my Dad spent a whole day kayaking down the Misssissippi through the Twin Cities, that was really fun but kinda scary when huge barges came by. =))

Posted : May 22, 2011 9:49 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: