Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Works by Lewis's friends and associates (The Inklings and others)

Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I've been searching and couldn't find a previous thread for this topic, so decided to start one — I hope this is the right section for it. We've got a general "books" thread (Tome and Folio) in The Spare Oom, but perhaps people here would find it interesting to discuss works we've read, or would like to read, specifically by authors who were associated with Lewis and who may perhaps have influenced him, or vice versa. (Some examples would be his fellow members of the Inklings, the Oxford literary club to which Tolkien and Lewis belonged.)

I'd like to get the ball rolling by asking if anyone here is familiar with the works of Roger Lancelyn Green, who was one of Lewis's students and later became his biographer. After Lancelyn Green's name came up in another discussion here on NarniaWeb, I looked him up and found he's best known for his retellings of myths and legends for young readers, including tales from Greek and Egyptian mythology as well as King Arthur and Robin Hood. What really intrigues me, though, is that he also wrote an original fantasy novel called The Land of the Lord High Tiger, which according to Wikipedia is "a fantasy that has been compared to the Narnia books."

I would absolutely love to read this book, but unfortunately it's not only out of print, but apparently very rare — I can't find any copies for sale anywhere online, and it seems it regularly goes for hundreds of pounds (or dollars) when a copy does come up. (It was published in 1958 — for perspective, that's two years after the final Narnia book was published.)

The best I could find about it online was this blog post from a couple of years ago — Experiencing the Joys of a Rare Book — in which a commentator who's read The Land of the Lord High Tiger writes:

While it’s rather different from the Narnia series, it does indeed have some similarities that you’ll likely appreciate if you’re a fan. This children’s adventure fantasy occurs in an alternate world like Narnia, but it’s entered by a boy Roger and his stuffed animals who become anthropomorphized living beings. Time also operates differently there than in Earth just like in Narnia. It bears the name tiger time. The book also mentions a place called North Narnia. After these features, the similarities mostly end.

I find this book quite stunning. Green plays with fairy tale ropes in fascinating ways. For instance, the character Priscilla has Cinderella traits, but she faces unique consequences for staying at the ball past midnight.

In addition to the novel’s use of fairy tale concepts, this book’s plot fascinates me. The characters embark on a standard fantasy quest, yet Green’s writing impresses me so much that it makes this type of story feel new as he fills it with bizarre adventures.

All of which just makes me even more intrigued and eager to get hold of this book some day if only I can!! Grin  

Has anyone else here read it, or any other works by Lancelyn Green? If so, what did you think?

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2023 9:32 am
Lindsaydoering
(@lindsaydoering)
NarniaWeb Regular

@courtenay There is a book called Tales Before Narnia edited by Douglas Anderson - which I have been reading.  It has a story called The Wood that Time Forgot: The Enchanted Wood by Green.  I haven't read it - but in the introduction (by the editor) it has more information on Green, The Land of the Lord High Tiger (and some controversy over whether it is derivative of the Narnia books).  I got the book initially because I wanted the Green story - but there are other good stories too. 

For example Undine (translated from German) which George MacDonald held in high regard.  This was a great story.  Also - there is a story by William Lindsay Gresham - the first husband of Joy.  I was not expecting this to be a good story - but it is a remarkably good story; and it actually contains a reference to George MacDonald's Phantastes - which was the book that most influenced CSL's writing and life outlook (according to CSL). The Gresham book was written years before he ever met CSL - or ever knew that he would meet CSL - but they both seem to at least have had the same book on their minds. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2023 11:36 am
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@lindsaydoering Thanks so much — I hadn't heard of that book (Tales Before Narnia) and it sounds awesome. I've just found and ordered a copy of it! Here's a review of it, which I read before deciding to buy the book and which whetted my appetite further.

Posted by: @lindsaydoering

Also - there is a story by William Lindsay Gresham - the first husband of Joy.  I was not expecting this to be a good story - but it is a remarkably good story; and it actually contains a reference to George MacDonald's Phantastes - which was the book that most influenced CSL's writing and life outlook (according to CSL). The Gresham book was written years before he ever met CSL - or ever knew that he would meet CSL - but they both seem to at least have had the same book on their minds. 

That's all the more fascinating and it reminds me that I have a copy of Phantastes that I picked up second hand last year. I'm going to start reading it as well and see what it's like!

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2023 1:58 pm
Lindsaydoering
(@lindsaydoering)
NarniaWeb Regular

@courtenay Thanks for link to review - I agree with the reviewer that William Lindsay Gresham is the surprise of Tales Before.

I finally got around to reading Phantastes a couple weeks ago. It is unlike anything I have ever read. It is dense - I am going to reread it - and I think Lewis reread it often.  (I have no idea how he read so much stuff so quickly).  I think this book has to be reread a number of times.  I'll be nterested in your take on it - I have some ideas about it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2023 8:08 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @lindsaydoering

I finally got around to reading Phantastes a couple weeks ago. It is unlike anything I have ever read. It is dense - I am going to reread it - and I think Lewis reread it often.  (I have no idea how he read so much stuff so quickly).  I think this book has to be reread a number of times.  I'll be nterested in your take on it - I have some ideas about it.  

Hmmm, that may take a while — I started it this morning and quickly decided I'd prefer something a bit lighter at the moment!! Wink  But I will definitely share my thoughts when I do read it.

Meanwhile, I was in touch with a friend who also loves Narnia and other fantasy, and he let me know his mum got him some Roger Lancelyn Green books when he was little (he grew up in the 1950s and '60s), and he can't quite remember which ones they were, but he may just have the one about the Lord High Tiger!  But as he'd need to sort out all the stuff in his loft to find out, I don't think I'll learn the answer to that any time soon... Grin  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2023 8:24 am
Lindsaydoering
(@lindsaydoering)
NarniaWeb Regular

@courtenay Ok - if you do decide to pick it up again - I can forward some notes that I have on it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2023 8:48 am
Courtenay liked
Share: