Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Lewis as Hiker and Biker

Lindsaydoering
(@lindsaydoering)
NarniaWeb Regular

Does anyone know of any resources discussing Lewis as a hiker/biker?

Or a collection/list of his hikes or bike rides?

In Surprised by Joy Lewis suggests that hiking and biking - the movement through landscapes or “an appreciation of external nature” - is of utmost importance – on par with reading.  

Of the landscape in Surrey he writes “… to walk in it daily gave one the same sort of pleasure that there is in the labyrinthine complexity of Malory or the Faerie Queene”.  He also states that while studying with Knock he developed a life-long habit of walking for two hours every day.

Surprised by Joy contains a lot of commentary on specific named landscapes. From correspondence we know some specifics walks he took – for example with Warnie from Chepstow up the Wye River valley (1/1/31). 

I am planning a possible trip to some of these landscapes.

This topic was modified 9 months ago by Lindsaydoering
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2023 9:28 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@lindsaydoering 

If you can find George Sayer's  biography, Jack, there's some information and description in the chapter called The Kilns. 

He also describes Jack coming to walk with him in the Malvern Hills, in 1951.

(This is considered by Doug Gresham to be the best bio, if you're looking for one)

Message me if you can't access it, and I'll send you some bits!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2023 2:41 pm
Lindsaydoering
(@lindsaydoering)
NarniaWeb Regular

@coracle Yup - thank you - I just reread the Kilns chapter - he goes over all the annual walking vacations - including locations. But not really the actual trail - like from where to where.  I wonder if someone has done this research - I am sure the info is out there. 

I had forgotten Sayer's biography - and now I can't put it down!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 17, 2023 11:04 am
coracle liked
Share: