Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What was the Giant Time's New name?

KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

"Yes," said Aslan, though they had not spoken. "While he lay dreaming his name was Time. Now that he is awake he will have a new one." - The Last Battle

The Giant Time was called that because he was waiting for the End of Narnia, which signifies Time.  Aslan states that he will have a new name but what exactly was the name that he gave him. Of course metaphorically and not literally a "name", but what would his name be/mean if you were to choose one? 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 30, 2021 10:04 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Since time would be meaningless after the Old Narnia, I think maybe his new name might be something like....Father Nothing or Father Meaningless. OK, hopefully something better than that. LOL But along those lines.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2021 10:59 am
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

Lol, @col-klink!  But I know what you are saying here. I was thinking something along the lines of Father Ending since he was seen and was actually involved in the ending of Narnia.  It also says in the Silver Chair 

"That is old Father Time, who once was a King in Overland," said the Warden. "And now he has sunk down into the Deep Realm and lies dreaming of all the things that are done in the upper world. Many sink
down, and few return to the sunlit lands. They say he will wake at the end of the world." - Silver Chair 

He only awakes at the end of the World.  Since he was Father Time while waiting for the time to wake up, a name I think appropriate for him would be Father Ending in correspond to him having a role in ending Narnia. 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 30, 2021 11:18 am
Courtenay liked
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of Worlds."

Robert Oppenheimer's thought when the first atomic bomb was exploded. It's from Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita, and is said by Lord Krishna. Krishna has three aspects in Hinduism: the creator, the maintainer, and the destroyer. I'm pretty sure Lewis had something like this in mind.

More here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2021 1:35 pm
Share: