Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ranking the Opening Chapters

Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Here's my attempt at ranking the first chapters of each Narnia books from weakest to strongest. (I should stress that I think they're all great. In some ways, they have some of the best writing I've ever read, detailed enough to paint a specific picture but not so detailed as to be boring.) 

Prince Caspian

Lots of great writing and an intriguing mystery with the ruins. But so slow paced that you don't expect the mystery to be cleared up any time soon, so it's hard to get excited about the next chapter. Maybe Lewis should have had them discover the chess piece before this one ended, so there'd be more of a cliff hanger. This has also the least interesting way of getting the characters to Narnia, though it becomes more interesting once it's explained.

The Last Battle

Really hooky first sentence, letting us know right away these are the last days of Narnia. The dynamic between Shift and Puzzle is amusing in its depressing way and we establish right away that this villain's scheme is totally different from that of previous Narnian baddies, making it really intriguing. However, because it focus on the antagonist rather than the protagonist, it's not quite as engaging. To be fair though, I'm not sure how Lewis could have written it differently and created the same dramatic effect. It also lacks the magic of other first chapters as there's no entrance into Narnia. But after so many Narnia books with similar beginnings, I can't blame Lewis for wanting to experiment.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 

I'm shocked at myself for ranking this one so low. It has the wittiest opening line of any Narnia book (not that the others are trying to be witty, so it's not like it has much competition) and one of the best entrances to Narnia. But I feel like there's more telling than showing when it comes to Eustace's obnoxiousness. (Significantly, every adaptation adds to dialogue to this scene.) It comes across like an excuse for Lewis to mock people who liked things he disliked and disliked things he liked. To be honest, it feels a bit meanspirited. And because it ends with Lucy happy and comfortable rather than on a cliffhanger, it's not quite as engaging as most of the other first chapters.

The Horse and his Boy

There's a lot to love about this chapter, especially the moment when Bree says, "but I can." But because it's so different from the other first chapters (that's just the nature of the beast), it's hard for me to relax and enjoy the story. I'm always wondering in the back of my head, even after having read it and loved it many times, am I going to like this as much as the average Narnia book? The fact that the first long conversation is written in "Calormene" also makes it hard to get your bearings. Even Shasta's first line, "O, my father etc." is unusually formal. But in retrospect, I don't see how this chapter could have been written otherwise, at least not without losing some of the overall book's virtues.

The Silver Chair 

This chapter does a great job of getting you invested in Jill. We meet her when she's crying because she's been bullied and at the end she does something horrible that'll haunt her for who knows how long. The entrance to Narnia may not be as great as the ones in VDT, LWW or MN, but it's better than the ones in PC and LB.

The Magician's Nephew

I adore this one! The descriptions give you a real feel for the time period. Because we see what kind of stories and games they like, I feel it gives us a clearer idea of Digory and Polly than of any of the other Narnian protagonists. And the cliffhanger is maybe the best in the series. It just demands you read the next chapter.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe 

This is actually my least favorite Narnia book...but I feel it has the best opening chapter! All the little details about the professor's house bring it to life and make you curious. Their dialogue gives you a good idea of all the main characters' personalities right off the bat. (Well, it kind of makes Lucy come across as scared when she's Lucy the Valiant, but nothing's perfect.) And the description of the entrance to Narnia is sheer magic.

What are your favorite and least favorite first chapters of The Chronicles of Narnia?

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 24, 2021 5:41 pm
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

@col-klink 

Wow! The LWW opening is one of my favorites too! I absolutely love the ending of chapter 1 where Lucy meets Mr. Tumnus and it ends on a cliff-hanger. 

Personally though, My favorite opening is of The Magician's Nephew because of how quickly it gets into  sudden mystery of Uncle Andrew and especially how the very first paragraph tells you exactly what it is about. 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2021 5:53 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Oh, tough one. Not sure where to rank each of the openings, but I will go book by book for each book.

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe- It's a good introduction in where you get to know the Pevensies, and what has happened to them. You learn about where they're staying at, and they did not know that there was a wardrobe that lead to another world. Some of us even wonder where did CS Lewis came up with the name Narnia when you read it in the next chapter. Being of Italian descent, the name Narnia for a town in Italy makes it pretty special.

Prince Caspian- The opening chapter introduces the Pevensies as well. When they are in Narnia, it's like we're seeing it first from their perspective.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Edmund and Lucy having to deal with staying with Eustace for summer holidays, then they see the painting in Lucy's bedroom. It's a great way to start the story, see a see comer to Narnia for a change.

The Silver Chair- With the Pevensies being out of the picture, it's tough to give an opinion on this. It's great to see that Eustace is a different person, and now has Jill to tell Narnia about.

The Horse And His Boy- Obviously, I think you have to read The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe before you read this book, because the opening chapter says that it's a story about that takes place during the golden age... when Peter was the High King. Otherwise, you wouldn't know who Peter or his brother and sisters were.

The Magician's Nephew- It gives the insight about, "This is how the comings and goings between our world and a world called Narnia first began."

The Last Battle- It's probably more like a prologue with Shift manipulating Puzzle into pretending to be Aslan.. "We'll set everything right in Narnia." "This is what Aslan wants you to do."

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2021 11:05 am
Share: