Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Prince Rishda?

Page 2 / 2
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

The one I have is second hand. We were cleaning out our church library since no one was using it, and that just happened to be there. We took it home with us, because as a Narnia fan you're like, "Oh, this could be intriguing."

Okay, maybe we can just ignore the "Prince Rishda" incident and enjoy the devotional book as it is.

You're probably right. So having various commentaries or other source material, even if it is based on one mistake, as a source of inspiration for Narnia film or series adaptions is certainly a "no" on my list.

On that note, there are things in the books that are never explained. Who knows? Maybe Shift promised Rishda world power. Maybe Rishda was working with Shift but was really planning for world domination. Rishda could also have been in the process of making himself ruler of Narnia.

I see it as more of a c-plot but I can almost see that a movie or series would want to make it the A-plot. But it would not be what makes The Last Battle so compelling.

Filmmakers, if you are reading this, do what you can to make The Last Battle a good if not great movie or series, but don't lose sight of what makes it compelling in the first place. Do what you can to make Rishda a great villain, even a complex one, but don't lose sight of what makes him a complex villain in the first place.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 16, 2023 6:44 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena It's worth pointing out that Aravis can not be called Princess. She is not the daughter or granddaughter of a reigning monarch.  She merely claims descent from a Tisroc long ago.  Rishda may be the same. 

I don't see why spin-off movies are relevant in this thread, sorry.  (They would be Hollywood fan fictions, ugh!)

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2023 7:32 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @coracle

It's worth pointing out that Aravis can not be called Princess. She is not the daughter or granddaughter of a reigning monarch.  She merely claims descent from a Tisroc long ago.  Rishda may be the same. 

That is a possibility. And I'm thinking maybe that's what the devotional book Roar: A Christian Family Guide To Narnia are suggesting.

I am not exactly a purist, though I'm sure Rishda would be annoyed with anyone, let alone the devotional book, calling him a prince. Tongue

Anyhow, I don't think we're given much description of Rishda on what he looks like. I think the closest we come to is-

One of the Calormenes, who had a helmet instead of a turban and seemed to be in command

Though I think he would have a gold brace or something on his arm, given that he was a Tarkaan, and that was what a Tarkaan was known for wearing. You might recall from the first chapter of HHB-

But Arsheesh knew by the gold on the stranger’s bare arm that he was a Tarkaan or great lord, and he bowed kneeling before him till his beard touched the earth and made signs to Shasta to kneel also.

So it would be no secret if the Tarkaans in Calormen had possibly a gold brace or something on their arm. I would not be surprised if Rishda did.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 16, 2023 7:47 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jasmine_tarkheena If you're really bothered by the typo, maybe you should consider writing to the publishers or the authors of Roar. I once did a topic on Narniaweb about a major misattribution in Becoming Mrs. Lewis, a novel about C. S. Lewis's wife, and someone on Narniaweb contacted the publisher, who said that it would be corrected in later printings. Pretty cool!

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2023 10:01 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @col-klink

If you're really bothered by the typo, maybe you should consider writing to the publishers or the authors of Roar. I once did a topic on Narniaweb about a major misattribution in Becoming Mrs. Lewis, a novel about C. S. Lewis's wife, and someone on Narniaweb contacted the publisher, who said that it would be corrected in later printings. Pretty cool!

I actually haven't thought of that.

Perhaps readers could draw to their own conclusion on what the authors are trying to get at with the "Prince Rishda" typo.

Perhaps we should just ignore the typo and enjoy the devotional book as it is. I do actually have some positive things to say about the devotional book as a whole.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 17, 2023 7:59 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jasmine_tarkheena If you don't want to talk about the typo anymore, maybe you should change this topic's title and possibly move it to the Characters forum. (Or do the moderators have to be the ones to do that?) It looks like you just want to talk about the Rishda Tarkaan in general at this point and not whether or not he counts as a prince yet you keep posting in this thread. It's a little confusing and I think changing the title would give people a better idea of what the discussions is about now. Smile  

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 2:44 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@col-klink

Hey, I take it back! I'm sure there are different definitions of "prince" in the dictionary.

Maybe if CS Lewis have written something about Rishda's ancestry that would count him as a prince, he would have. But of course, he didn't.

I'm not exactly a purist, because the commentaries are what they are. I enjoy it for what it is, even if there is a typo. It comes to show that no writer is perfect!

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 17, 2023 2:48 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @coracle

@jasmine_tarkheena It's worth pointing out that Aravis can not be called Princess. She is not the daughter or granddaughter of a reigning monarch.  She merely claims descent from a Tisroc long ago.  Rishda may be the same. 

That's true, assuming the monarchies in the Narnian world follow the same rules for titles as the British monarchy (which we can probably assume they do, since that's what the author was familiar with). If so, Aravis would become a princess by her marriage to Prince Cor. But there's a twist there, under the British system — because the title comes from her husband and isn't one she was born to, she wouldn't be entitled to be called "Princess Aravis". Her correct style would actually be "Princess Cor". No kidding!! Grin  (You pick these things up from living in Britain. And yes, that does mean the media were incorrect in regularly referring to the late Diana, Princess of Wales, as "Princess Diana". Of course that's an easy shorthand and made a lot more sense than calling her "Princess Charles", but the latter was technically correct...)

I don't see why spin-off movies are relevant in this thread, sorry.  (They would be Hollywood fan fictions, ugh!)

I also don't see that spin-off movies are a relevant topic here. I'd far rather see the next producers (Netflix or whoever else) make decent adaptations of the seven books first, and THEN we can worry about spin-offs!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 5:55 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

If CS Lewis could have written something about Rishda's ancestry that would qualify him as a prince, he would have. But of course he didn't. I guess we're left to our imagination.

There seems to be no point now. Though I think people tend to like the villains better than the heroes, in both literature and movies. I never understood why, though.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 17, 2023 6:03 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: