Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Narnia Books Similiar to Disney

Page 1 / 2
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Being a Narnia fan and Disney fan, it would seem that there are similarities between Narnia books and Disney movies.

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe- Bednobs and Broomsticks meets Frozen

Prince Caspian- The Lion King

Voyage of the Dawn TreaderThe Little Mermaid meets Beauty and the Beast

The Silver Chair- Aladdin meets Frozen

The Horse and His Boy- Aladdin

The Magician's Nephew- Atlantis: The Lost Empire

The Last Battle- Pocahontas

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 10, 2021 8:14 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

In an essay called 'On Fairy Tales', Lewis's friend Professor Tolkien talked about the patterns of European fairy tales and fantasy. He said there are a lot of elements which are common to various countries, and each story is like dipping a ladle into a pot of soup with lots of different vegetables in it.  
Walt Disney used fairy tales from various countries as the basis for many of his films, and I think his organisation continues to do this.

So yes, you have spotted some of the parallels. Of course the messages and the outcomes may differ in Narnian stories.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2021 8:35 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle True. Prince Caspian and The Lion King both have stories involving an murderous uncle; Voyage of Dawn Treader had Eustace turning into dragon to help him see what a "beast" he had been; Uncle Andrew refers to Atlantis; The Last Battle and Pocahontas has a story of foreigners conquering a new land (in some aspect, Rishda Tarkaan would be almost compared to Governor Radcliffe). 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 10, 2021 8:45 pm
coracle liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

In an episode of Talking Beasts (the Narniaweb podcast), someone pointed out that Eustace's subplot in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is actually a deconstruction of movies like Beauty and the Beast. In them, being turned into a monster is presented as a scary scene. (Beauty and the Beast doesn't actually depict the initial transformation but I think if it did, we can assume they would do it like this.) And being turned back into a human is presented as a joyous moment. Eustace being turned into a dragon happens painlessly while he's asleep and his transformation back into a human is a painful, disturbing scene. (Well, I don't actually find it that disturbing to read myself because of the way it's written, but you get the point.) For Eustace, being a monster is easy. Being human is hard. LOL #93 The Un-dragoning! (Book Commentary) - NarniaWeb | Netflix's Narnia Movies

Can I go on a (mild) rant? I'm a little sick of people saying The Lion King, Hamlet and Prince Caspian all have the same plot. (I'm not mad at you, Jasmine. You're obviously playing a game here and looking for any plot points that are remotely similar to Disney movies. In fact, I'm grateful to you for giving me an opportunity to go on this rant. Wink ) It's true that they all have the same premise of the main character being a crown prince whose uncle kills his father to take over the throne. What fan of Hamlet though, would summarize the story like that? Or Prince Caspian for that matter? They have hardly anything in common thematically and if you look at most of the iconic moments in The Lion King (The opening scene, the wildebeest stampede, etc) you'll that they have no counterparts in Hamlet at all. And the one scene that does (the hero being confronted by the spirit of his dead father) is almost completely different from it. The tone is totally different. It comes at a different place in the plot. And Prince Caspian doesn't have a version of this scene at all. Both PC and LK were likely influenced by Hamlet, since it's very famous, but only in a shallow way. They're not the same stories at all. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2021 7:40 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@col-klink I get that they have to modified the plot line. In Prince Caspian, there's not a ghost of Caspian IX appearing to Prince Caspian to tell him to take his rightful place as king or to take vengeance on Miraz. Neither Simba nor Caspian die at the end. So I understand your rant. I'm sure we all have something rant or rave about. And what about the plot line with The Last Battle and Pocahontas? A lot of other movies have a similar story line (Dances with Wolves, Fern gully, Avatar). They all involve cutting down trees and destroying nature... and some greedy leader conquering the world.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 11, 2021 8:15 am
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

Great topic! Although I can't really see LWW and the Frozen connection. Sure they both have an unwanted winter seizing the land and there is a snow queen to whom everyone refers to as a monster, but the plot is different. Elsa, and the White Witch, for example, are two completely different things. Elsa represents an insecure, somewhat confused and scared person. While on the other hand, Jadis knows exactly what she's doing and why. Jadis wants the winter to come, and Elsa did it on accident.  The goal is also very different. Anna's goal is to bring back summer by changing her sister. The Pevensies goal is to get to Aslan, also indirectly bringing back summer. Of course you could argue that both the Pevensies and Anna are hoping to get their sibling back, but like I mentioned before, both have very different ways of achieving it. 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 7:57 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@kingedthejust I think it's because both The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe and Frozen were inspired by The Snow Queen, much like Prince Caspian and The Lion King were inspired by Hamlet. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 14, 2021 8:34 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Even some of the villains in Narnia are similar to Disney villains. Miraz has similarities to Scar in The Lion King because both killed the brother and their nephews are the protagonists. I think Prince Rabadash in a way is similar to Gaston in Beauty and the Beast, because both are good-looking and wanted to marry the pretty heroine (Belle and Susan). And Rishda has similarities to Governor Ratcliffe in Pocahontas because both wanted to conquer the world (Virginia and Narnia). And what about Tash? Some might view he is similar to Chernabog from Night on Bald Mountain in Fantasia because both are pure evil, having no motive (unless you count Tash claiming Rishda as his lawful prey as a motive).

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 10, 2022 7:44 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, The Rescuers basically has the same plot as The Silver Chair...just with mice... yeah, never mind. Grin  

Slightly more seriously, the episode of VDT with Caspian having to awaken the Three Sleepers is definitely linked to Sleeping Beauty... in fact, Caspian even references the fairy tale (or something like it) in that chapter, describing it as being a story from Lucy and Edmund's world. 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2022 11:04 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

It's very important to realise that the Disney company is not noted for writing original stories. Most of the familiar Disney cartoons use traditional European fairy tales or legends (eg Cinderella), or 19th and 20th century children's books (eg Pinocchio). They were deliberately adapted to suit mid 20th century American children, for whom the European stories were not very accessible. (Walt explained this somewhere - he didn't want them missing out on these excellent folk tales).

The Narnia stories of course were not adapted by Disney (the production company called Walden Media did that), but since their material and characters include classical Greek and Roman, and many other European creatures, it is no surprise that people famiiar with Disney will recognise some aspects of Narnia. They share a lot of sources.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2022 12:21 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

True, though I think Walden Media partnered with Disney for the first two then partnered with 20th Century Fox for the third (though Disney owns 20th Century Fox now).

A don't think I've would have thought of The Silver Chair being similar to The Rescuers. I think there's some of The Jungle Book in there, where the Green Lady uses hypnosis on her victims, much like Kaa (except she doesn't uses the spinning eyes). And yes, Voyage of the Dawn Treader does a make a reference to Sleeping Beauty. The Horse And His Boy has some Aladdin because of 1001 Arabian Nights.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 11, 2022 8:34 am
coracle
(@coracle)

@jasmine_tarkheena the Disney company did distribution and finance I believe, so had their name all over the first two. (and not making enough money was probably the main reason for dumping the franchise after PC).

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2022 1:25 pm
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I watched Return to Oz a while back (it was produced by Walt Disney Pictures, so it counts!) after reading the two books it took inspiration from, The Marvelous Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz. What struck me was that the most memorable parts of the movie for me was two things that weren't in either book: 1) Aunt Em and Uncle Henry thinking Dorothy was crazy for believing she went to a magical land and sending her to a mental institution, and 2) The Emerald City falling into ruin since Dorothy had last been there, with an evil tyrant now ruling Oz and Dorothy's old friends nowhere to be found.

Overall, my impression of the movie (and the books for that matter) was pretty lukewarm, but those two elements stuck out to me. Then it hit me - those two things may well have come from Narnia. Dorothy being thought crazy is like Lucy in LWW and the ruined Emerald City was like Cair Paravel in PC.

It could be a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an influence there. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2022 6:12 pm
Courtenay, Narnian78, Kokoro Hane and 2 people liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@reepicheep775 

As much as I like the Oz books, I think the Narnia books have more depth. The characters such the Pevensies and the stories were more thoughtfully created than any of those in the Oz books. But still, L. Frank Baum was not a bad writer and his books were wholesome entertainment.  So I can recommend them about as much.  But if you want something to challenge your mind, read C. S.Lewis.  The Narnia books may be the deepest children’s books ever written.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2022 6:57 am
Jasmine liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78

True. I think The Last Battle has the deepest theme of all seven books, though. I think it has bit more of a mature theme about life and death, manipulation, end times, after life. And what Disney movie has a mature theme? The Hunchback of Notre Dame has a mature theme that deals with heaven and hell, genocide, oppression, lust. In sense, it's like you're not suppose to understand it yet you kind of are.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 15, 2022 7:51 am
Narnian78 liked
Page 1 / 2
Share: