Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Best food in Narnia!

Page 2 / 2
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Does New Narnia count? If it does, my imagination has always been caught by the fruit near the stable door (to the point that the description sometimes comes to my mind even after so many years, while eating pears or grapes!). The way Lewis uses the fruit of the real world to make a point about the taste and feeling of those fruits is really great, and I'd love to try them!

Your post made me realize how often I think about this description as well, especially when eating a piece of fruit! It's a bit of a pity, really—eating an especially delicious peach, for instance, only makes me want to taste the really delicious peaches in Aslan's Country! ;))

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 10:59 am
Courtenay liked
hermit
(@hermit)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pavenders. They seem to be the only food (and non talking animal) that Lewis actually invented. I always thought of them as similar to trout though. Wonder if they'd taste the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2018 10:40 am
Courtenay liked
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

I would've loved to try Turkish Delight. My Sister and I have seen many recipes for it and it makes my mouth water. Even though, yes I know its basically just sugar, based on the scene in the movies and the description in the book, I would like to taste it very much. 

I would have also liked to taste the Pavender in the beginning of PC, mostly considering that it is not a fish in our world and I enjoy trying new foods. 

Lastly I would have liked to try some of the tree's meals at the end of PC, even if Edmund tried it and it still tasted horrible. (to humans at least). I would also have liked to be present at the feast of Aslan, as many delicious foods were mentioned. Grin  

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2021 2:19 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

@kingedthejust

I hate to ruin your fun, but I have tried Turkish delight....and it was WEIRD. 

Not at all what I expected. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2021 2:46 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I have also tasted Turkish Delight, and I agree about weird - at least the type with rose flavor. I have tried lemon flavor as well, which isn't quite as weird - I'd describe it as soft, slightly sticky lemon jelly.

Take that jelly and think of the fragrance of roses. It then tastes the way roses smell. Lovely for a fragrance, very strange for a taste. Weird indeed. Shocked  

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2021 7:07 am
Col Klink liked
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

@varna, @glenwit

Thanks for the feedback! Had no idea Turkish Delight tasted like that. Curiously, your descriptions make me want to try it even more. Wink  

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2021 10:21 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @kingedthejust

@varna, @glenwit

Thanks for the feedback! Had no idea Turkish Delight tasted like that. Curiously, your descriptions make me want to try it even more. Wink  

Do it. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2021 12:49 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Have to admit, Turkish Delight is one thing I can't really come at... my dad loves it, though, or at least the chocolate-coated version that's available in Australia as well as the UK. (Which I don't think the White Witch has ever cast any dangerous spells on, so far.)

Frys Milk Chocolate Turkish Delight Rose Flavour

I can highly recommend the original Narnia Cookbook, which several people have referred to previously in this thread. Affordable copies of it do sometimes turn up online — I bought one a few years ago — or else it's available as an e-book. Must admit I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but it is a delight even just to leaf through, especially as Douglas Gresham wrote all the commentary on each dish and on various aspects of Narnian cuisine in general.

Posted by: @hermit

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pavenders. They seem to be the only food (and non talking animal) that Lewis actually invented. I always thought of them as similar to trout though. Wonder if they'd taste the same.

Interestingly, The Narnia Cookbook suggests that salmon is a good substitute for pavenders in our world! I can't quite remember what the recipe given for it is, though. (And unfortunately I can't look it up, as I've just moved house and most of my books, including that one, are still in storage.)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2021 3:26 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have the Narnia cookbook on my ipad and there's so many to choose from.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2021 7:29 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

One passage that was both mouth-watering and puzzling to me was a breakfast which some dwarves cook for the main character(s) -- might have Prince Caspian or The Horse and His Boy. It's a typical English breakfast with tomatoes, I think, that puzzled me as an American child, and sausages, which Lewis went overboard in describing as tasty and full of meat not "half-stuffed with soya as is found these days." As a child of course I took the word of the author as God, and thus wondered what exactly was in the sausages that I was eating for breakfast in the mid-1970s, and what I was missing out on, and even what "soya" was.

Turns out that Lewis wrote that bit during the post-war austerities when meat was scarce for Britonians, and sausages went back to normal when the economy picked up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 1:22 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I'm thinking it goes here...

Design for a Narnian-themed Bento Box

It's AI generated and not real, but it looks good enough to eat, if you're a vegetarian. I was hoping to see the human food from the books that Lewis talks about and not all Talking Animal food, though!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2023 12:51 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Oh wow!! Grin I'm not so sure I could bring myself to eat Aslan, though (traditional symbolism of the Eucharist aside)... Giggle  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2023 2:36 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

Here's another Narnian bento box I designed, this time for The Lady of the Green Kirtle. The box was made in the AI art generator Midjourney. It looks very nice, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of real nutrition in it (like the Witch herself.) Here's a diagram of what all those strange foods might be. I could imagine the Witch giving a plate of these weird, almost inedible foods to her guests.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2023 6:07 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: