Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Glome: the Land, the Culture, the People

Destined-To-Reign
(@destined-to-reign)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Glome can be a fascinating and scary place when looked at from the complete picture, full of strange and marvelous things. But there are other sides to Glome too, more ordinary things like the food they eat and the clothes they wear.
Feel free to mention, discuss or ask questions about anything relating to Glome; fashion, food, language, religion, cultivation, employment, development, and more.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2010 3:32 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I'm a little confused about the religion Glome. What confuses me is the description of the goddess:

...Ungit sits there alone. In the furthest recess of her house where she sits it is so dark that you cannot see her well, but in summer enough light may come down from the smoke holes in the roof to show her a little. She is a black stone without head or hands or face, and a very strong goddess

The description of the stone made me think that what is in the temple was an old statue of a goddess that had fallen in to disrepair kind of a "dead" goddess so to speak. One that really wasn't real. I'm assuming that the "she" that sits in the temple is only a stone representation of the goddess and not actually the goddess herself. In other words the goddess would have a body or spirit or whatever some place else. Like the gods living on Olympus but have temples elsewhere. Is that right? Is the stone without head or hands or face on purpose or because of being broken? :-

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2010 2:12 pm
Lady Haleth
(@lady-haleth)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I don't think its broken. There was some story that a stone shaped like Artemis had fallen from the heavens, so people made a temple for it in Ephesus. I think that's a little like what Ungit is. She isn't there, but this is an image of her, and they worship it. And there were religions that worshipped idols and thought the idols lived.

The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2010 9:27 am
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

I'd always thought that the Glomians (Glomites? Glomers?) Had carved (or hewn) an "Ungit" statue our of black rock, and then removed the head, and hands. I think that they removed the head/face so that nobody could say that they'd "seen the face of Ungit," but I'm not sure why they removed the hands.

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2010 11:09 am
Lady Haleth
(@lady-haleth)
NarniaWeb Junkie

And there were many ancient statues of the gods that had no face, in other parts of the world. It was supposed to be holy.

The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2010 2:43 am
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

It could be that the Ungit stone wasn't always inside of a building and time wore it away until there were no longer facial features or any carvings to make it look human.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2010 6:20 pm
Share: