Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 5

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

Below there are a few questions to help get the discussion started. You do not need to answer all of the questions. We want this to be a discussion so if you have something you would like to discuss that isn't covered in the questions feel free. As long as you are respectful, you can comment on other people's answers as well.

1. Is there anything in this letter that reminds you of scenes or characters in Lewis' other works?

2. Do you have a clearer picture of Wormwood from this letter? How about Screwtape?

3. Screwtape writes “I feel as if I had been allowed to taste the first course of a rich banquet and denied the rest. It is worse than not having tasted it at all.” What do think of this idea? Would you rather have some of the “banquet” or none of it?

4. Screwtape writes, “He often makes prizes of humans who have given their lives for causes he thinks bad on the monstrously sophistical ground that the humans thought them good and were following the best they knew.” What does Screwtape mean by this? Is he correct? If he is correct, can you think of any examples?

5. What did you find interesting (discussion worthy) in this letter?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 17, 2012 12:24 am
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I'm not sure about a specific scene or character, but this letter struck me as very Lewis-esque. How he took a popular conception of devils and turned it on its head. We suppose that, because, devils are evil, they must like war. But why should they? Sure, it would make them feel good, but in the end a war might well serve as a hindrance to them.

4. This part confused me. It almost seems to imply Universalism. :-

5. One thing I thought was interesting was that Wormwood's enjoyment of human suffering seemed almost like a mirror image of the Christian life. For example there are certain types of music, books etc that remind me a lot of of Heaven (like how Lewis describes Joy in Surprised By Joy). There's nothing wrong with enjoying these, but there's a danger of mistaking these sensations for spiritual progress. There's still the more important matter of turning the other cheek, feeding the widows and orphans etc. Business before pleasure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2012 7:37 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Is there anything in this letter that reminds you of scenes or characters in Lewis' other works? The part about the nursing homes reminds me of what Jill says in the last battle about preferring to die earlier rather than later. I think she mentioned nursing homes but I don't know for sure.

2. Do you have a clearer picture of Wormwood from this letter? How about Screwtape?
We see more of how inexperienced Wormwood is and young for lack of a better word. In this chapter we begin to see Screwtapes dislike of some of the other devils and his belief that his opinion is better.

3. Screwtape writes “I feel as if I had been allowed to taste the first course of a rich banquet and denied the rest. It is worse than not having tasted it at all.” What do think of this idea? Would you rather have some of the “banquet” or none of it? Generally, I'd say that I'd rather have none than some. Of course that depends on what it is. :P For example, I'd rather be without friends than have a really good friend for a short time and then suddenly no longer have that friendship.

4. Screwtape writes, “He often makes prizes of humans who have given their lives for causes he thinks bad on the monstrously sophistical ground that the humans thought them good and were following the best they knew.” What does Screwtape mean by this? Is he correct? If he is correct, can you think of any examples? This part confuses me too. (hence the question ;)) ). I don't think Lewis would have Screwtape say something that would support universalism. The only thing I can think of that might make sense is something like what happened to Saul. He was pressuring what he thought was right but then God used him for good. Or else it could be causes that would allow them to still be Christians but were still wrong. For example, people who fought in wars between Protestants and Catholics.

5. What did you find interesting (discussion worthy) in this letter?
I found it interesting that there was division in Hell about the opportunities in a war for them to get souls. I think Screwtape is mostly right. I absolutely love the story of the Christmas Truce during WWI. That showed the power of Christ during a war. However, I can see how people could turn away from God because of the terrors of war (thinking for example How could God let this happen? or there must not be a God because these things are happening). I could also see people who have lost loved ones becoming angry and turning away.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 21, 2012 12:38 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. Is there anything in this letter that reminds you of scenes or characters in Lewis' other works? In the passage mentioned in question 4, I was reminded Aslan and Emeth in LB.

But then I started maybe overthinking the passage... what does he mean by prizes? Who gets the prize? I'd been assuming that the prize was taken away from Screwtape and compatriots, which made sense in my head. Now I'm not sure. 8-}

3. Screwtape writes “I feel as if I had been allowed to taste the first course of a rich banquet and denied the rest. It is worse than not having tasted it at all.” What do you think of this idea? Would you rather have some of the “banquet” or none of it? As an idea, it seems monstrously unfair, which I'm sure was Screwtape's point. But, nitpicking, if I knew I was only going to get something, something would be better than nothing. I'm not real fond of cutting off my nose to spite my face, though I'm sure I do it.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2012 9:42 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

1 and 4: Like Mel, I was reminded of Emeth in LB.

Reepicheep775 makes an excellent point above regarding the devils and war. They might like war because it causes human suffering and death - yet Screwtape points out that it serves as a constant reminder of human mortality:

In wartime not even a human can believe that he is going to live forever.

So people are more likely to evaluate their lives and purposes, and thus be at risk of coming to the wrong conclusions (from Screwtape's perspective).

Also, Screwtape points out that in war men go to where they know they may be killed and that they are prepared for it, should they be "at all of the Enemy's party."

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2012 11:33 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. Like some of you, Screwtape's idea of 'credit' being given because people thought they were doing good and not because they were actually right reminded me of Emeth in The Last Battle.

2. Yes, Wormwood is given a clearer picture as a young and foolish apprentice demon. We also get to see a bit more of Screwtape as he lashes out a little at Wormwood.

3. I kind of like this idea of the demons being able to rejoice a little at our sufferings temporarily, but being robbed of it in the long run and it being worse for them than if they'd never seen us suffer. Mmmm, I'm not sure which I'd rather. If it's kind of like starting a movie and never finishing it, then I think I'd rather not have started than not know how it ended. ;))

4. I think Screwtape means that it's the thought that counts in this case. I don't think he's right---we don't earn salvation or credit, and following something contrary to God just because we think it's right doesn't mean we'll be saved.

5. I thought one of his last points, about dying quietly in a nursing home denying death and what comes after until the end, was interesting. People tend to put things off and think they have so much more time until death is an issue and then it sneaks up on them; war (and other disasters and accidents) shakes that idea, at least for a while. :)

But then I started maybe overthinking the passage... what does he mean by prizes? Who gets the prize? I'd been assuming that the prize was taken away from Screwtape and compatriots, which made sense in my head. Now I'm not sure. 8-}

I think Screwtape meant that the Enemy makes prizes (for Himself) of those humans, like they are special or unusual saves from Screwtape et co. Maybe? ;))

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 5, 2012 10:40 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

2. I get the mental image of Wormwood being fresh out of college and having just spent the night getting drunk and being irresponsible before going to work unready for the day.

4. Little things like this I tend to put on the back-burner and puzzle out later. Perhaps a C. S. Lewis expert will happen by this thread and explain what Lewis was trying to say.

It is, of course, especially confusing because we don't know if Screwtape was telling the truth or not, or if the truth was filtered from his point of view, or if Screwtape was just plain wrong. Perhaps Lewis was trying to make a point and he, himself, was wrong. :-

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 9, 2012 4:16 pm
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

3. Screwtape writes “I feel as if I had been allowed to taste the first course of a rich banquet and denied the rest. It is worse than not having tasted it at all.” What do think of this idea? Would you rather have some of the “banquet” or none of it?
I agree with this idea.
I would rather have none of the banquet. Some of the banquet would just make me hungry for more. And I rather not just be sitting around feeling hungry for more it would be worse then not eating any of the banquet.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2012 7:59 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Is there anything in this letter that reminds you of scenes or characters in Lewis' other works?

The issue discussed in question 4, involving humans being rewarded for actions they thought were good, reminds me of something in Till We Have Faces:

Do you have a clearer picture of Wormwood from this letter? How about Screwtape?

I think Screwtape and Wormwood seemed much the same in all the letters. I don't think there's any one letter where they became more clear than in the others.

Screwtape writes “I feel as if I had been allowed to taste the first course of a rich banquet and denied the rest. It is worse than not having tasted it at all.” What do think of this idea? Would you rather have some of the “banquet” or none of it?

None of it, if the menu consists of the sort of thing Screwtape eats. ;)) But joking aside, it depends on the situation. I guess my default answer would be none of it, so that I don't know what I'm missing and can enjoy what I do have. But there are certainly exceptions.

Screwtape writes, “He often makes prizes of humans who have given their lives for causes he thinks bad on the monstrously sophistical ground that the humans thought them good and were following the best they knew.” What does Screwtape mean by this? Is he correct? If he is correct, can you think of any examples?

I think it's referring to the fact that God judges men by their hearts. People can do wrong things with good intentions. And although I believe God does judge men by their hearts, I believe Screwtape is incorrect. What most people don't realize (or maybe don't want to realize) is that while people often do bad things with good intentions, the reason why they do such things is because they are willfully deceived. The human heart is a tricky thing. There can be some sinful action, and someone might commit it "not knowing" it was a sin (and they might actually believe they didn't know), while all the time some deeply buried part of their heart did know.

What did you find interesting (discussion worthy) in this letter?

I found it interesting that the letter begins with Screwtape trying to teach Wormwood patience, when patience is a virtue in "their Enemy's camp." It looks like even demons have to play by God's rules somewhat in order to get what they want. ;)

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2012 5:24 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

I agree with Ithilwen, I've always seen Screwtape and Wormwood the same through out the book, they don't seem to change as the letters go along.

Depending on what the feast is, I would have to say none of it at all.

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2012 9:35 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

What did you find interesting (discussion worthy) in this letter?

I found it interesting that the letter begins with Screwtape trying to teach Wormwood patience, when patience is a virtue in "their Enemy's camp." It looks like even demons have to play by God's rules somewhat in order to get what they want. ;)

After all, they were his angels to begin with - he created the universe and made the rules that it works by - and then I also mean rules of virtues and their opposites :)

Another thing I find interesting, is how Screwtape does some wishful thinking regarding his own situation.

If any present self-indulgence on your part leads to the ultimate loss of the prey, you will be left eternally thirsting for that draught of which you are now so much enjoying your first sip. If, on the other hand, by steady and cool-headed application here and now you can finally secure his soul, he will then be yours forever — a brim-full living chalice of despair and horror and astonishment which you can raise to your lips as often as you please.

Yours forever?
Screwtape totally disregards the possibility of judgment - the possibility that is a certainty for the devil and his demons after Christ's victory. The Bible says that the devil is desperate, because he knows that he only has a little time left - and Screwtape pretends that this is not so, and that what he calls the house of his "Father Below" will endure forever.

Not so!

Some of the medieval presentations of hell gave the impression that it was a place where the devil reigned supreme and enjoyed torturing the souls - but even I think that the artists that were best informed, only meant it as a temporary thing, something for that "little time left" (about the same as Lewis does here). In the end the devil will be punished and will not be enjoying anyone else's suffering. I suspect that Screwtape knows, but that he won't let it on for Wormwood.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2012 4:01 pm
Share: