Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 3

Page 1 / 2
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. Screwtape relates a story about a patient of his that could go from praying impassionedly for his wife’s or son’s soul to insulting them or beating them without a qualm. What do you think about this?

2. What did you think of what Screwtape described in sections 3 and 4? Have you seen people behaving like that? Or do you think Screwtape is engaging in wishful thinking?

3. Why do you think Screwtape uses the story of the Prodigal Son as an example here?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 10, 2012 2:47 am
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I was a little confused at this part. I have noticed, though, that I can go from praying, reading the Bible etc. straight to sinful behaviour without so much as a thought. It's odd.

2. Oh, I've definitely experienced this behaviour, both from myself and those around me. This is one of those passages that I just stop and gape at. It's amazing how observant Lewis is.

3. I think Lewis used the example of the Prodigal Son, because the son's brother was jealous at, what seems to him, the father's extravagant treatment of the son. After all he had stayed with the father all this time. If the Patient's mother is a Christian, Screwtape hopes she will become jealous of her son's excitement at his new state of mind. Her son is on a temporary high because everything is so new and exciting, while for his mother, it's the same old thing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 8:51 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

1. Screwtape relates a story about a patient of his that could go from praying impassionedly for his wife’s or son’s soul to insulting them or beating them without a qualm. What do you think about this?

I think it pretty accurately explains how our emotions can be used to twist our mind on certain subjects. Whenever someone does something that bothers us, it often becomes a sensitive point; and it can easily move us to anger (sometimes violence, depending on the person) if we think about it for too long. When we pray for someone, or pray for faults they have, we start thinking about those faults. And so, unfortunately, the thoughts we set in motion during our prayer can lead to us doing things that are not so holy.

2. What did you think of what Screwtape described in sections 3 and 4? Have you seen people behaving like that? Or do you think Screwtape is engaging in wishful thinking?

I'm not sure what you mean by "sections"? Do you mean the 3rd and 4th paragraphs? The 3rd and 4th letters? :-

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 10:38 am
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)
Member Hospitality Committee

2. Certainly I know somebody who behaves like they do in part 3: me. I get very annoyed when my brother pokes me in the side randomly with no intent. It's funny at first, but it eventually gets upon my nerves when I am in the middle of reading something. In part 4, there are people I have seen do this in real life. Things on paper shock them, and they will not let it go, even if it is not meant to be intentionally offensive or hurtful. I'll admit I have been taken aback by things on paper as well, though I've gotten over it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 1:23 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by "sections"? Do you mean the 3rd and 4th paragraphs? The 3rd and 4th letters? :-

The second through fifth paragraphs should begin with a number; sections 3 and 4 refer to those numbers. In paragraphs that'd be 4 and 5, respectively. :)

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 10, 2012 1:29 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

This contrast in our behavior reminded me immediately of this statement from James 3:

With [the tongue] we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. (3:9, 10)

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 3:14 pm
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

1. Letter 3 perhaps spoke to me more than all of the other great ones did. I mean, wow! I understand that there will be parts of this book that I do not understand, but what I'm able, I'm very impressed. I have seen a constant false portrayal of how someone really is, flinching at the slightest thing; taking offense at magnified trifles. The clarity of the way this is portrayed just blew me away. ;)) It clearly portrays in a real manner how we get carried away with our irritations of others.

2. I need to go back and look at this to answer the question properly.

3. I'm not sure. I don't think that the elder brother was bitter towards his brother, as he did belong to the father (analogically, a believer belongs to God), so Jesus was not comparing the elder brother to the Pharisees, whom he was telling the story to. The elder brother, in fact, was not given the information of his younger brother's reformation in a first-hand way; it was given in third person through a servant who simply said that his brother came back, without explanation of change. So I'm not sure. I suppose the means how, when one does not understand another's position, they could not see a believer's intention? I do need to look over this.

While reading the book, I'm totally astounded at the truths presented of how demons influence us. While this fact must be acknowledged, I'm really trying to keep on reminding myself that this does not place us helpless and blameless, because we are being tortured, but that personal responsibility is an important factor.

*is caught up now!!*

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 4:54 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

1. Screwtape is encouraging Wormwood to have his patient pray in an abstract fashion for the mother. By praying abstractedly instead of sincerely, the patient is become less attached to his mother instead of more. I think the past patients that Screwtape describes have gotten so unattached to their families that they're not even fully aware that the person they are praying for is the same person they are beating. It's really rather sad. Also, as others have pointed out, by praying for a person's faults, it encourages us to focus on the very things we dislike about that person.

2. I think that sort of behavior does and can happen. Again, we get so focussed on the other person's faults or the things we dislike that we cannot step back and view the person as a whole. Arguments break out because there is miscommunication caused by clouded judgement.

3. The elder brother was angry because by the rights of his culture his younger brother should have been thrown out in disgrace instead of getting a banquet that showed to the community that his father had forgiven him. He thinks that his brother got off easy while he stayed and worked like a good son should. Translating that to the letter, Screwtape wants the mother to feel the same way--that she worked hard while her son just got accepted. I think Lewis used this analogy because 1) It's rather famous, and 2) to show how the devil can twist even the Bible to his own ends.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2012 6:10 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I think it is possible. Some people are very good at completely separating different aspects of their lives. I've heard a story about a family that would always go to church on Sundays but the father would be horrible during the week.

Arguments break out because there is miscommunication caused by clouded judgement.

That's a good point. I've had two such arguments this week. :P Usually, I ignore a certain tone of voice that annoys me but every once in a while, I answer back in turn (or at least what I interpret to be a similar tone). Person 2 doesn't see it that way and there we go. :P Person 2 is often analyzing my tone but from my point of view not her own. (To be perfectly fair sometimes she is right about what my tone means). I'm not sure how often people come away from fights thinking they are innocent (or nearly so). I usually assume I've caused it somehow. :P

3. Why do you think Screwtape uses the story of the Prodigal Son as an example here?
It is a classic example of strife in a family. Also, it would relate to the mother feeling like the patient got in easy.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2012 6:46 am
The Jedi Clone
(@the-jedi-clone)
NarniaWeb Regular

*Slips in a bit embarrassed by being so late.*

1. Screwtape relates a story about a patient of his that could go from praying impassionedly for his wife’s or son’s soul to insulting them or beating them without a qualm. What do you think about this? I sorta understand what is being talked about here, and it is a very real possibility that this sort of thing could happen, many people have one personality when they are alone and another when they are with others.

2. What did you think of what Screwtape described in sections 3 and 4? Have you seen people behaving like that? Or do you think Screwtape is engaging in wishful thinking? I think that Screwtape actually had a pretty good argument here, it is the truth, I often get upset with people and take it out not through words but through the tone of my voice. And as my mom says. "It's not what you say, but how you say it."

3. Why do you think Screwtape uses the story of the Prodigal Son as an example here? I agree with Twigs, the tale of the Prodigal Son is a very good example of family strife.

*Yay! I'm sorta not at all caught up-ish!*

RL Sister to Melian Maia
Adopted Sister to Weirdo and Gildor_Inglorien

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2012 2:20 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

*Slips in a bit embarrassed by being so late.*

Don't worry about it. There aren't any deadlines. As long as the forum is open, any of the letters can be discussed.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2012 10:10 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Make sure... that he is always concerned with the state of her soul and never with her rheumatism.

This reminded me that we are to pray for a person's specific needs as well as for their soul. Also, (and I think Lewis' point is) a prayer is much more powerful with love behind it. A person truly concerned about his mother would pay attention in prayer to her problems, not the problems she causes.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2012 10:26 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Yes, exactly, Movie Aristotle. I also was really blown away by the line that instructed Wormwood to make sure that every irritation translated into a sin, in the patient's mind, and escalate how every little tone of voice or movement of the eyebrow could annoy, and thus cause the patient to constantly pray about his mother's soul, pointing out all her flaws, so much that he forgets to love her and care for her rheumatism.

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2012 2:05 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. I think there can be a difference in how we pray for or think of someone, and then how we act toward them. Thinking especially of siblings, it can be all too easy to pray for them (especially for them to be more sanctified ;))) and then turn around and treat them however you feel, not showing them love or grace.

2. Oh, yes, I've seen this a number of times, often in my own case, sadly. Little things that annoy me grow extremely irritating very quickly, and I have to remind myself not to take out my annoyance on the person.

3. I think it's due to humans' tendency to think well of themselves, particularly in the case of sin. Unless we're constantly remembering God's grace to us and what He saved us from, we do lean towards thinking that somehow we have a right to look down on other people, and sometimes be jealous of the grace they've been given. *looks at question again* Oh, eh, I think Screwtape uses it because the attitude of the Elder Brother is one that Christians, especially older ones or ones who have been Christians since they were little, are particularly prone to. :)

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 4, 2012 12:04 pm
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

It can happen if you think of them when you are praying for them totally different from what they are. If you are actually praying for someone imaginary (you think of them totally different when you pray for them.) then it can become like praying for someone who doesn't exist.

Because the older brother was resentful and was jealous of all the attention that the younger son was getting from their father. She would be resentful in a different way, but somewhat similar.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2012 10:49 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: