Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 2

Page 1 / 2
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. What do you think of Screwtape as a narrator so far? Is there any particular point you can point to as defining his character? Do you have an equally clear picture of Wormwood?

2. Screwtape advises Wormwood on how to use the church to reclaim his newly converted patient. What value, if any, does this letter have for Christians who have been Christians for a long time? Can they learn something about themselves from this letter?

3. Screwtape talks about the Enemy allowing disappointment during the beginning of every human endeavour and how the Enemy “refuses to carry them, by their mere affections and habits, to any of the goals which He sets before them” and “leaves them to ‘do it on their own’” What does Screwtape mean by this? Is he correct or is he only seeing part of the picture?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 10, 2012 2:45 am
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I love Screwtape as the narrator. He seems like C. S. Lewis's evil twin, using his intelligence to beguile rather than enlighten. I think the picture of Wormwood is fairly limited. We don't find out much about him except that he's a young, inexperienced devil. (As a side note I was wondering about Lewis's portrayal of his devils as being old and young; as fallen angels aren't devils ageless?)

2. I've been a Christian for seven years and I can still struggle with the issues in this letter. It's actually a personal favourite of mine, because it's not a struggle I've seen addressed anywhere else. I like the church I attend, but sometimes when I go to other churches this can be a problem. One of the problems I can have with some Christians that threaten to make my religion appear to be ridiculous is the ignorance of everything beyond their small sphere. Only buying Christian™ products and blasting everything else as 'of the world' and not even trying to understand non-Christians and why they believe differently. Even seemingly trivial, innocuous things like an affinity for polyester, too much grinning, shouting 'Hallelujah! Praise Jesus!' every five minutes etc can have this effect. All this, of course, makes me prideful and makes me think, 'Huh! Well at least I'm not like them'.

3. I think Screwtape is only seeing part of the picture. God never leaves us completely on our own. Whether we like or not, He's with us. However God does let go of our hand so that we can face trials and grow spiritually, but He's always there when we stumble.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 8:40 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

1. What do you think of Screwtape as a narrator so far? Is there any particular point you can point to as defining his character? Do you have an equally clear picture of Wormwood?

I love Screwtape as a narrator. He seems to know more about human nature than we humans do ourselves, and it's fascinating to read how he can twist it into our undoing.

Wormwood, I think, sort of represents what most humans think demons are doing. He seems to drift toward the techniques and plots we often suspect Satan is using, when he really isn't -- because those techniques aren't nearly conniving enough or to the purpose as we think they are. They're merely "trainee mistakes".

He seems to be very inexperienced and "unwise" as demons go. And maybe a bit too confident -- thinking he's much smarter and more knowledgeable than he really is. I remember Screwtape referring to Wormwood's responses in certain parts of the book, and scolding him for being too confident in certain foolish plans that would do more "harm" than "good" to their cause.

3. Screwtape talks about the Enemy allowing disappointment during the beginning of every human endeavour and how the Enemy “refuses to carry them, by their mere affections and habits, to any of the goals which He sets before them” and “leaves them to ‘do it on their own’” What does Screwtape mean by this? Is he correct or is he only seeing part of the picture?

I think he is only seeing part of the picture. Especially because one of the main points of Christianity is that we can't do it on our own. We must be carried or else we fall.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 10:47 am
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)
Member Hospitality Committee

1. I personally think it is very cool to have the narrator be the one who is considered the anti-hero of the story; that's what I would call Screwtape. Screwtape does make arguments that I find quite thought provoking as a young Christian. Screwtape is one I would describe as unruly, intriguing, and mischievously evil, and a thinker. Wormwood, though, I am having a little trouble describing as, however. It's not that he doesn't actually appear, but it's hard to describe what a "young demon" looks like. Do demons actually have different rankings, or ages? :-

2. A message I got out of this was that even though we can say we are Christians, that does not mean that we are Christians. When you are a Christian, you see the Truth. However, our patient, who calls himself a Christian, can only see "half-finished, sham Gothic erection on the new building estate". When you don't know God, you are not a Christian.

3. I think that Screwtape is trying to say that God is allegedly punishing His children, and leaving them on their own, with no guidance in corruption. However, I think that Screwtape is only seeing part of the picture. God is testing His beloved children's faith in Him. God loves us. When He leaves us to "do it on our own", God is showing us that we are not powerful, and that we cannot be saved, except only by His grace and mercy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2012 1:14 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What do you think of Screwtape as a narrator so far? Is there any particular point you can point to as defining his character? Do you have an equally clear picture of Wormwood? This question is hard to answer since I've read the book at least twice before this time and listen to the radio drama several times. Screwtape is a good narrator. He gives good insight into humans and makes me think. Screwtape is shrewd and not to be trusted. He is an unreliable narrator. As Lewis says in the introduction: "Readers are advised to remember that the devil is a liar. Not everything that Screwtape says should be assumed to be true even from his own angle." Wormwood is harder to get a picture of because we can't see his responses and are getting our information from Screwtape who may or may not be accurate.

2. Screwtape advises Wormwood on how to use the church to reclaim his newly converted patient. What value, if any, does this letter have for Christians who have been Christians for a long time? Can they learn something about themselves from this letter?

All this, of course, makes me prideful and makes me think, 'Huh! Well at least I'm not like them'.

I agree, it is very easy to fall into the trap of thinking "at least I'm not like them." Whether in church or elsewhere. Sometimes more so in church because we hold people to higher standards there. I think it could also help people understand what new Christians might be experiencing. Long time Christians might not remember what it was like to be new or not have had the same type of experience. Adult converts would have a different experience than children who grew up in the church and became adult Christians.

3. Screwtape talks about the Enemy allowing disappointment during the beginning of every human endeavour and how the Enemy “refuses to carry them, by their mere affections and habits, to any of the goals which He sets before them” and “leaves them to ‘do it on their own’” What does Screwtape mean by this? Is he correct or is he only seeing part of the picture? I don't think God every leaves us completely alone. I do think that we can't always feel him. Screwtape might mean that God doesn't let us rely on feelings or to get through things. We aren't going to always feel happy, excited, or positive. By habit, I'm guessing he means it isn't going to be routine or easy.

Wormwood, I think, sort of represents what most humans think demons are doing. He seems to drift toward the techniques and plots we often suspect Satan is using, when he really isn't -- because those techniques aren't nearly conniving enough or to the purpose as we think they are. They're merely "trainee mistakes".

I hadn't thought of it that way but it makes sense. Somethings Wormwood tries, like trying to make his patient materialistic, are what we would expect.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2012 3:28 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

1. Having taken a script analysis course this past semester I love this question. Screwtape is the protagonist of the story, but he is also the villain. Because the villain being the protagonist is so uncommon it turns the entire story structure on its head which reinforces the turned-around ideas in the story (such as God being "the Enemy"). I think Screwtape is a great narrator.

2. I noticed that Screwtape made a point of distinguishing between the eternal Church and the "sham Gothic erection on the new building estate." This reminded of the question about "ordinariness" in the first letter. The church building and the people who worship there can also get caught up in ordinary life. Wormwood is supposed to get his patient caught up in his neighbors' squeaky shoes or out-of-tune voices. When caught up in these ordinary details it becomes more difficult to look beyond. I think this also speaks to Christians who have been Christians for a long time. It is far too easy to be focussed on things like the roof that needs to be repaired again and the youth group needs more space and the tit-for-tat arguments that can break out when meetings go on too long and everyone is feeling hot and bothered. Again, the ordinary stuff is important, but not as important as why we are Christians in the first place.

3. Screwtape has absolutely no concept of God's almighty love and grace. He can't even begin to imagine it. He sees humans going through difficult times and assumes that God has left us on our own. We may feel like He has, but He really hasn't.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2012 5:53 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. :-s I am greatly concerned at these responses:

I love Screwtape as the narrator.

Screwtape is a good narrator.

I think Screwtape is a great narrator.

I think it would be much more accurate to say that Screwtape is an evil narrator. :p

Do demons actually have different rankings, or ages?

The Bible does talk about "princes." Although I don't think there are different ages of demons there must be different rankings. Otherwise how could Satan claim supremecy?

2. This gave me something to think about the first time I read it years ago. I was certainly more focused on other people's out-of-tune singing than I was with their in-tune worship. I also noticed how annoyed I was when someone else hit a wrong note on the piano, yet how much I hoped people would forgive me when I hit a wrong note another week. If I need people to ignore my minor mistakes and quirks, shouldn't I be ignoring other's? Also, if I need forgiveness and constant mercy from God, doesn't everybody? Thanks C. S. Lewis!

Christians (The Church) are people too and make mistakes. The only difference is that Christians realize they can't stop making mistakes without God's help. You don't become immediately perfect when you become a Christian, you are working towards perfection.

2. A message I got out of this was that even though we can say we are Christians, that does not mean that we are Christians. When you are a Christian, you see the Truth. However, our patient, who calls himself a Christian, can only see "half-finished, sham Gothic erection on the new building estate". When you don't know God, you are not a Christian.

I disagree, not with your differentiation between people who call themselves Christians and those who really are, but with your assessment of the character of "the Patient" in Lewis' story. Screwtape is very concerned because the Patient has become a Christian. This letter is talking about people who are Christians who don't know how to act like it yet.

3. I think we're missing Lewis' point. I think the key phrase is

refuses to carry them, by their mere affections and habits, to any of the goals which He sets before them.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2012 4:19 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I think it would be much more accurate to say that Screwtape is an evil narrator. :p

:P ;)) Maybe I should say an evil good narrator or an good evil narrator? How about an interesting narrator?

3. I think we're missing Lewis' point. I think the key phrase is "

refuses to carry them, by their mere affections and habits, to any of the goals which He sets before them.

It is so easy to skip over that little phrase. :P The more I think about the more I agree with you. I kind of touched on that in my answer.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2012 6:19 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

:P ;)) Maybe I should say an evil good narrator or an good evil narrator? How about an interesting narrator?

He's certainly interesting, and he's good at what he's doing.
I'd say a clever narrator.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2012 8:47 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. Screwtape is an oddly charismatic narrator, if very unreliable due to his nature. His second line in this letter tells Wormwood that he's been a huge disappointment and should expect to be punished, but says so in such a way that one feels that Wormwood should almost be pleased to be punished. ;)) The picture of Wormwood isn't quite as clear yet, but we know he's young and a bit careless and clueless.

2. I would say complacency is one thing that older Christians should guard against, being wary not to just go to church out of habit and then not act like Christians the rest of the week. Also, the humility of remembering how great a sinner you are, and what you've been saved from---that'll help keep you from judging your fellow Christians and looking down your nose at them. And, I think it can be a warning against feeling superior to your fellow Christians just because you vary some in practice or on smaller matters of doctrine---they are still your brothers and sisters in Christ, even if you don't agree on every little matter.

3. Screwtape is referring to those times in life when life is hard and we feel abandoned by God. While God may seem to be leaving us to do it our own way, He always gives us the strength and grace to make it through those times. He often also uses those times to humble us and remind us of our own weakness, and then we cling to Him more and know Him better.

I also appreciated Screwtape's distinction between the Invisible Church (the one that spans all of time, containing only believers) and the Visible Church (the one that we see, often containing both believers and unbelievers). Often when we think of the Church, we do think of the building and the smaller group we meet and worship with on Sundays (and how things there can annoy us) rather than the full Bride of Christ and how glorious it is. :)

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2012 11:20 am
SummerSnow
(@summersnow)
Member Hospitality Committee

1. It is a very interesting point of view. "I note with great displeasure that your patient has become a Christian." He wants people to turn away from God and not to believe in Him. This does make him a rather untrustworthy narrator but also an interesting and clever one.

2. Yes, it's still a temptation to older Christians. They may think, "Oh, I'm so much better then them." It is very easy to be distracted by what you see instead of looking at the body of Christ.

3. Screwtape isn't seeing the whole picture. God is always with us even when it seems like He isn't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2012 11:42 am
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I still find it hard to imagine Screwtape or Wormwood, I guess it's because they are the sort of things I would rather not imagine. I do get the picture that Screwtape is very wise, obvisouly been around for a long while and knows quite a bit, with Wormwood, well, so far it's a little vague, but I to me it seems he is very immature and not so sure of what he is doing. Almost like this is one of his first assignments or something

I think we can. Christians who have been Christians for a long time sometimes take certain things for granted. I think this letter is a real challenge for older Christians to make sure they watch themselves and be a good sample so to speak. Cause new or young Christians will be sure to watch their every step

I think what he means is that whenever we humans start something new we are often faced with difficulties. The first step is usually the hardest, but one we get going, we find it not so bad or hard after all. To a certain extent he is correct, often in the beginning we are faced with temptations and doubts and can often question 'where is God, why isn't He helping me?" but then if we got everything easy from the start, well, I think we would all get extremely lazy. But while we are not carried to our goals, that is not to say help is never there. It's not like God has abandon us, He's there to help us through, He won't do it for us, we need to learn, but His hand is there to guide us, so I definatly think that Screwtape does not see the whole picture, how can he? Besides he has a very one sided opinion of the 'enemy'. So that helps to hinder his viewpoint a great deal He does point out though that "He leaves it do it on their own, and here lies our opportunity. But also remember that here lies our danger" Screwtape points out that one humans get over the 'initial dryness' as he puts it, we become less dependant on our emotions and less harder to tempt. I think this is actually good, cause it sort of help determines a man, if he can succeed when it is tough in the beginning, then later it becomes harder to stop him. God allows rough things to happen to us to help makes us stronger Christians

always be humble and kind

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2012 5:39 am
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

To remind others that it not the building that matters. They could also learn not judge people by the way they look, or what clothes they wear it only matters that they are trying to head in the same direction and are part of the body of Christ.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2012 1:37 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

I love how everything is flipped, what is good for us, is bad for them.
And when Screwtape refers to the enemy, he means God.
I can just picture Screwtape at his writing desk jotting down letters with an old dirty quill, each letter smoking from every pen stroke.
I find it humorous to hear Screwtapes' annoyance toward Wormwood, who seems to think he knows what he is doing or bragging to be seen as something special.

I think this letter can serve as a good reminder to Christians!
I think sometimes we forget that it is not because we try to do good, or because we go to church that we are saved, that it is because of Jesus' precious blood that covers us we are made new.
And we can fall or mess up just like anyone else.
The difference is that we have excepted Jesus into our hearts and believe in his sacrifice for us.
And that it is because he is in our hearts, we want to do what is right, what Jesus would do.
I think it can sometimes be a good thing to mess up (not on purpose of course), it can humble us and remind us that we are all sinners, and that we rely upon Jesus to help us and that it is his Love for us that saves us.

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2012 7:02 am
narnianerd
(@assistant-lord-of-the-little-ponies)
NarniaWeb Guru

2. I feel that sometimes that Satan uses the church as much as Christ does, particularly the people within the church. Mohandas Gandhi said he would probably be a Christian if it weren't for the Christians. I feel that most of us can be extremely judgmental of newcomers. Jesus said that we Christians are the salt of the earth. But if we are excessively salty, Christianity doesn't taste so good.

3. He's only seeing part of the picture, God will never throw anything at us that we can't handle.

If you ain't first, you're last.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2012 10:10 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: