Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 10

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Screwtape says that there is less being said about "the World," "Worldly Vanities," "the Choice of Friends," and the "Value of Time." Is this true for today?

2. When Screwtape speaks of rescuing people from "the sobriety of life", what is he talking about?

3. In your own words, what is the main point of this chapter?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 31, 2012 12:26 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. His phrasing makes me think of old sermons, which I think is the intent, and on that point I think it's true. At least in my experience, sermons seem to be more abstract than focused on concrete events. But there are other events where Christians think about how to apply the Bible to their lives and actions, so... looking at it as a sort of blanket statement I'm not sure which way to leap.

(In a general sort of way, I think there is a LOT being written and talked about the value of time and how to manage it and get more out of your day!)

2. Screwtape is riffing on the cliche that Christians have no fun, though this could be an example of him saying two different things and believing them both. Remember back in letter nine, where he talks about how healthy pleasures give more satisfaction? If that is true, how can we NOT have fun?

3. The point is that it is easy to say one thing and believe another -- and then not want to admit our duplicity

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2012 8:03 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. In general, I think yes. People don't really like being told the things they're doing can be quite dangerous to them. Of course, there are still sermons and writings warning us about these things, but not near as much as there used to be.

2. I think it's the idea of taking life seriously. That doesn't mean we don't have fun or enjoy it, but this life is important and too many people waste it doing nothing or focusing on frivolous things rather than recognising that God has placed us here for a reason and we should follow Him.

...the cliche that Christians have no fun...

Or, what she said. :P ;))

3. I think this chapter is mainly to do with our relationships with people, non-Christians in particular, and how we conduct ourselves around them. I'm not saying we need to be all doom-and-gloom and tell them they're sinners every time we see them, but our actions need to show Christ and if we're not acting any different from them, how will we?

^I seem to have been doing a lot of thinking here. :P

One more comment, though, if I may---I found the mention of Screwtape et al giving a different meaning to Puritans and Puritanical very interesting. Puritans are almost always portrayed in very negative ways, being shown as serious, somber, gloomy killjoys, but they weren't. I've read a few books by Puritan writers and they're very honest about sin and don't cut you any slack on it, but they also point right to Christ and are full of joy. :) What do you all think? How do you all view Puritans?

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2012 11:05 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

3. What stood out to me was the idea that we can be different things to different people; depending on whether we're around Christians or non-Christians. In either case we can rationalize our thoughts and behaviors precisely because we're aware of that dichotomy in us - in a sense, that we're in the world but not of it - though I suspect thinking of it in those terms would help us see the duplicity in it.

On Puritans: I've had the pleasure of hearing a few preachers comment on this very topic (that they're portrayed as dull and legalistic, yet had a deep and abiding joy in Christ that many of us would aspire to). I've read a few of the old Puritan prayers, and while the language might be archaic by today's standards they so often express a deep desire to know God better and follow Him more closely.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2012 8:17 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

What do you all think? How do you all view Puritans?

I don't know a whole lot about Puritans truth be told. I know I read some of Anne Bradstreet's poetry. I remember a teacher pointing out that although they dressed in sober colors and plain clothes they did lovely needlework on cushions and things. I briefly looked Puritans up on Wikipedia. It is seems there was quite a difference between different groups of Puritans and the North American varieties tended to be stricter. (One the references was by C. S. Lewis.) They do seem to be portrayed negatively a lot of the time. In my brief research that and the unfairness of the statement were mentioned a few times. I don't really know enough about them to have much of a view. :P I'm aware of the stereotype and that probably is what comes to mind first, but I recognize it as stereotype.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2012 2:20 pm
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. Screwtape says that there is less being said about "the World," "Worldly Vanities," "the Choice of Friends," and the "Value of Time." Is this true for today?

I think that depends what pastor you are talking about. I think I know a lot of pastors and books which talk about those things but there could be a lot more pastors not talking about that.

I think it is to warn us, or caution us when it comes to choosing to do something or spending so much time with our non Christians friends that we become like them.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2012 5:40 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Not in any of my own circles. In fact, the people I know go too far in such matters, to the point where they believe reading fiction, watching TV, or any kind of entertainment is "worldly". Some will refuse to say hello in passing to strangers, since "they might be pagans". :P

2. When Screwtape speaks of rescuing people from "the sobriety of life", what is he talking about?

I think that whole passage is talking about how, since many people associate some virtues with the Puritans, and because the Puritans committed some actions that were wrong, they throw the baby out with the bathwater.

To show the dangerous aspects of being close friends for the wrong reasons with people of different religious beliefs than yourself.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2012 10:25 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I know I haven't seen much warning about the World or Worldly Vanities. The closest thing I can come up with is Focus on the Family's PluggedIn.com, but they tend to center on media choices, not friend choices or life choices in general. I think the prevailing thought today is that we don't want to be separated completely from culture, because if we are, how can we relate the Gospel in a way people can understand? I think we are trying to keep from being seen as irrelevant or out of touch. But the pendulum might be swinging too far. Maybe Lewis is on to something and we are submerging ourselves in the culture to such an extant that we are not any different. -A sobering thought.

2. In context, he is talking about Puritanism. I would guess that the goal of "Puritanism" is staying pure, and what Christian could argue with that? Temperance and chastity are self-explanatory. "Sobriety of Life" I would suppose means looking at life from an eternal perspective and understanding that there is more going on than meets the eye. -Recognizing our place on the spiritual battlefield and doing our best to fulfill God's will.

3. I think this chapter is a warning about "Worldly Influence." It centers specifically on choosing friends wisely, but also touches on making good life choices in general. It also gives a solid warning against living a double-life. On that note, one idea that just hit me was that we need to be careful about media choices. Letting any media image into your home is basically letting someone else's thoughts and ideas into your home. How many of us let worldly ideas and jokes into our living rooms that we would never let into our church services? What does that mean? Should we be more careful?

What do you all think? How do you all view Puritans?

Like Pattertwig's Pal, the negative stereotype comes to mind first, but I do immediately recognize it as an incomplete perception. I think Puritans had a worthy goal in mind: staying pure. Perhaps, in trying to attain that goal they created rules for themselves, but over time, their way of life became less about God and more about rules. Perhaps that is a pattern in every denomination. The only way I can see to combat this is to stay focused on God Himself and His Word, and recognize that man-made rules might be helpful, but are still man-made. Then perhaps Christians truly will be known by their love, not their rules. Does any of that make sense to anyone, or am I making stuff up?

All mortals tend to turn into the thing they are pretending to be.

I found this statement incredibly fascinating. What do you think? Is it true?

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2012 9:26 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

How many of us let worldly ideas and jokes into our living rooms that we would never let into our church services? What does that mean? Should we be more careful?

Well, one question would be, what is appropriate for a church service? There's a time for jokes and a time to be serious. Church services tend to be a time when one is focused on learning from a teacher instead of interacting with one another. The question of whether or not we need to be more careful should be referred back to the ultimate authority for what ought to be in the life of a Christian: the Bible. If something doesn't meet the standard of Phillipians 4:8, it shouldn't have a place in our lives no matter where we are and who we are with.

All mortals tend to turn into the thing they are pretending to be.

I found this statement incredibly fascinating. What do you think? Is it true?

I've heard it before, or something close enough. I suppose it depends on how badly you want to be the thing you're pretending to be, and why you're pretending. If you're pretending to be a cat to amuse your baby sister, you're not actually going to grow the fur she's pretended to cover you with... but if you pretend you are a cold and distant person, you will eventually convince people that you are, and if they believe in that persona it will feed your act until you really are a cold and distant person.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2012 1:43 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

3. I think this chapter is a warning about "Worldly Influence." It centers specifically on choosing friends wisely, but also touches on making good life choices in general. It also gives a solid warning against living a double-life. On that note, one idea that just hit me was that we need to be careful about media choices.

It's certainly possible to live a double-life in the way of what media we choose to watch or read. While some wouldn't be suitable in church mainly because of style, others really wouldn't belong there regardless of style, and then they might be harmful to us in our homes as well.

It's interesting the way Screwtape shows that man can feel content with such a double-life. In a way he (the Patient) plays one set of friends up against the other.

Thus, while being permanently treacherous to at least two sets of people, he will feel, instead of shame, a continual undercurrent of self-satisfaction.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2012 6:18 pm
Share: