Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 11

Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Screwtape divides laughter into four categories: Joy, Fun, the Joke Proper/ humor, and Flippancy. Do you agree with these categories? Why or why not?

What do you think of linking Music with Joy? Are there any other forms of expression you would link with Joy?

Screwtape categorizes people as belonging to two types when he discusses the Joke Proper. How might these people react in one of the other categories?

Do you agree that making a joke about behavior somehow makes it excusable and /or removes the shame? In other words is "Humour ... the all-consoling and ... the all-excusing grace of life" that Screwtape makes it out to be?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 7, 2012 3:21 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

What do you think of linking Music with Joy? Are there any other forms of expression you would link with Joy?
I'm not much of a music person so it is kind of hard to say. Music can be very powerful so it does make some sense. I would imagine that art or literature could also be linked with Joy.

Do you agree that making a joke about behavior somehow makes it excusable and /or removes the shame? In other words is "Humour ... the all-consoling and ... the all-excusing grace of life" that Screwtape makes it out to be?
I think to some degree he is right. I don't think it is the same for everyone though. I think some people are more likely to use humor as an excuse than others. For some reason, America's Funniest Home Videos come to mind when I think of things being passed off as funny. (Disclaimer: I haven't seen very much of that show but what I have seen I don't usually find funny. It seems cruel or embaressing). People are always trying to pass hurtful statements off as just kidding. I think the bystanders are more likely to believe that then the person to whom the statement was said.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 11, 2012 11:53 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I'm not very musical either (for example, I don't play an instrument) but agree with Twigs that it can be very powerful. Hearing an a cappella performance of "Silent Night" or other beloved Christmas hymn, or hearing the choir perform Handel's "Hallelujah" can stir deep feelings of joy in me, and in others around me. Or watching little kids dance joyfully to music while playing...

In addition to art and literature (which she also mentioned), another comes to mind: for those of us who like to write, it can be another expression of joy.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2012 10:32 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. I think these divisions are pretty fair. They seem to fit fairly well all the different occasions for laughter.

2. I hadn't really thought of it before, but it makes sense. If they're the right sort, they can often lift you up in a way and make you kind of giddy and emotional. ;)) I can't really think of any other forms of expression to link with Joy right now.
Though, based upon what PP and gazer said, perhaps any sort of creative expression might be able to be linked to Joy?

3. I think sometimes how the person reacts to the Joke Proper spills over into Fun. I'm not sure how to explain this, though. ;))

4. Often, yes, I think we act that way. When someone makes a joke about something inappropriate, it's kind of looked down upon to not laugh and it gets awkward. I think there's also a reason there's 'black humour' and lots of bawdy comedies.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2012 11:04 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

Screwtape divides laughter into four categories: Joy, Fun, the Joke Proper/ humor, and Flippancy. Do you agree with these categories? Why or why not?
All of his categories are valid. There are plenty of times when a joke or a situation causes more laughter than they warrant (Joy). Fun is also a well-known cause of laughter. The Joke Proper/humor is also clearly a cause of laughter. Flippancy makes sense too. It is harder for me to get a clear picture of flippancy so I wish Screwtape had gone into a bit more detail. Also, I do find it hard to decide where certain types of laughter would fit in. For example, would laughing at someone's mistakes / situation (especially if it is done in a hurtful way as in laughing when someone gets hurt or at someone's misfortune) fit under humor? I think Screwtape could have gone into a lot more detail on this topic: laughter has amazing power to heal and to harm, and there must be a lot more to be said on it.

Screwtape categorizes people as belonging to two types when he discusses the Joke Proper. How might these people react in one of the other categories?
I think that either category would react to fun and joy in much the same way. What triggers the laughter in joy might be different based on the type of joke they prefer.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2012 10:02 am
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I do agree with these categories. I thought about every type of laughter I had heard and I could categorize it in these categories.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2012 2:57 am
Melian_Maia
(@melian_maia)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Screwtape divides laughter into four categories: Joy, Fun, the Joke Proper/ humor, and Flippancy. Do you agree with these categories? Why or why not? Absolutely. I, like Eustace, categorized all the various types of laughter and joking and these fit perfectly.

What do you think of linking Music with Joy? Are there any other forms of expression you would link with Joy? From a longtime musician's viewpoint, music can be extremely joyful; it all depends on the way you play/what you're listening to. There are some genres of music that I wouldn't consider to be joyful (such as rap, perhaps), but many songs and pieces can be lighthearted and joy-filled.

Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie!Secret Order of the Swoosh

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2012 6:02 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Yes, I think it was categorized quite well.

I think whatever gifts and talents God gives you will bring you joy when you do them, whether it's making music, books, or anything else.

I definitely think that people get away with far too much by turning it into a joke. For example, there will be something someone does that everyone thinks is silly or dumb, but it would be rude to say so. So they make fun of the person. But they do so in a more jovial manner, rather than a taunting one. And if the person gets angry, they say, "Oh, I was only joking!" And then the person assumes they didn't really mean it, and that they don't really think he/she is silly. But of course, they do think he/she is silly. By "I was just joking", what they really mean is, "I don't want you to get mad at me for thinking you're silly." But even they don't realize this much of the time.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2012 6:58 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I shall not, for the time being, dispute the categories Prof. Lewis has set down.

What do you think of linking Music with Joy? Are there any other forms of expression you would link with Joy? If you do what you love, then work itself can bring a sort of pleasure and satisfaction with it. Would you all agree that joy itself comes with doing a job well?

I also find joy in inspecting God's creation, and I'm sure that Lewis did as well. Lately, with every new butterfly I discover or every new animal call I hear I've been struck with joy. Perhaps stargazer would agree that a good look at the clear night sky brings with it wonder, inspiration, and joy?

I don't think they necessarily would react any differently from anyone else in the other categories of laughter. If they did, Screwtape would have introduced the two types of personalities first and then demonstrated the differences between the two throughout the letter. These two types were just in reference to the Joke Proper.

The person who makes the joke thinks it does. Others may or may not share his views.

I think Riella said it better than I could.

Also, I do find it hard to decide where certain types of laughter would fit in. For example, would laughing at someone's mistakes / situation (especially if it is done in a hurtful way as in laughing when someone gets hurt or at someone's misfortune) fit under humor?

Laughing at someone else's pain would come under the heading of Flippancy.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2012 6:40 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I definitely think that people get away with far too much by turning it into a joke. For example, there will be something someone does that everyone thinks is silly or dumb, but it would be rude to say so. So they make fun of the person. But they do so in a more jovial manner, rather than a taunting one. And if the person gets angry, they say, "Oh, I was only joking!" And then the person assumes they didn't really mean it, and that they don't really think he/she is silly. But of course, they do think he/she is silly. By "I was just joking", what they really mean is, "I don't want you to get mad at me for thinking you're silly." But even they don't realize this much of the time.

I also find this a lot in media. If a parody of something is played in TV programme or told as a joke in a TV show, those who support what is being attacked aren't able to complain, because then they will be thought to have no sense of humor or to take themselves too seriously. There is no way to defend yourself if you're the target for such jokes.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2012 6:31 pm
Share: