Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 3: Edmund and the Wardrobe

daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

**Note you do not have to answer all or any of these questions. They are suggestions. If you would rather just post some thoughts, questions of your own, etc., you are welcome to do so.**

1. Why do you think the wardrobe was just a wardrobe when Lucy got the others?

The others who thought she was telling a lie, and a silly lie too, made her very unhappy. The two elder ones did this without meaning to do it, but Edmund could be spiteful, and on this occasion he was spiteful.

Why do you think Lewis made a point about how Edmund treats Lucy differently than Peter and Susan do?

3. What does Edmund's reaction to getting into Narnia say about him?

4. What was your favorite part/least favorite part? Why?

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 5, 2013 3:42 am
King_Erlian
(@king_erlian)
NarniaWeb Guru

At this point in the story, we don't know. Explanations are offered later on, though I can't think of an explanation without resorting to spoilers. :-)

2. Why do you think Lewis made a point about how Edmund treats Lucy differently than Peter and Susan do?

I think Lewis is setting up Edmund's character for his first meeting the Witch. If Lucy had met the Witch first instead of Mr. Tumnus, she probably would have screamed and run away. Although it seems fairly obvious from the outset that the Queen is evil, Edmund doesn't try to escape.

He does try to apologise to Lucy, which shows he wasn't all bad. If Lucy had heard him and taken him to see Mr. Tumnus (and warned him about the Witch before he met her), he most likely would never have gone to the Witch's side at all.

I like the Queen's question to Edmund: "Are you an overgrown dwarf who has cut off his beard?" She's seen human children before (though we don't know that yet), so she almost certainly knows perfectly well what Edmund is. Although she's evil, she does seem to have quite a dry sense of humour.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2013 2:20 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I think the wardrobe worked the way it did because Lucy, when she first went there, was in a neutral or questing frame of mind. Whereas, when they all examined the wardrobe, the other three were disinclined to believe anything Lucy had to say, simply because she was the baby, who, perhaps, had changed into a lonely child with a vivid imagination. She knew that what she believed was real enough, but the others weren't prepared to believe her without seeing for themselves. It is almost like the wardrobe still has a bit of a mind of its own, reacting to the others' disbelief. And I see parallels with this experience with the wardrobe, and Lucy's cliff incident in PC.

2. C.S. Lewis wrote:
Why do you think Lewis made a point about how Edmund treats Lucy differently than Peter and Susan do?

Two reasons, I think. Edmund sides with his older siblings because he wants to appear grown up, in contrast with Lucy whilst Peter & Susan are only being grown-up and responsible. Perhaps, too, he resents Lucy somewhat for being the baby and that is the unfriendliness he has shown since he arrived. He isn't going to make it easy for Lucy if he perceives she is the centre of attention.

Because Edmund has mean thoughts about other people, he thinks that other people are going to be mean to him as well. He doesn't think that Lucy hadn't known he came to Narnia and would have gone directly to wherever she was going. Perhaps he feels guilty about the way he treated Lucy, but changes to resentment when she isn't there at his convenience, thinking she was paying him back by hiding within earshot.

When I first read the book, I was happy when Edmund got into the wood. But maybe not afterwards.

As a matter of interest, whilst he is still thinking it out, how is it that the White Witch turns up right at that moment? Nice sunny morning, reminding her of Charn with that red sun? Or was it something in Edmund's thought processes that called to her, attracting her like a magnet?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2013 2:02 pm
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

The reason they were allowed to visit Narnia in the first place was to show the children their flaws, help them to grow and mature, and teach them more about God (see the end of VDT). It simply wasn’t time for them to discover the truth. They still needed the Professor’s lesson about logic and family. They needed to learn to trust what they couldn't understand, and Lucy needed that little trial of her integrity (she could had said she was only pretending).

2. C.S. Lewis wrote:
The others who thought she was telling a lie, and a silly lie too, made her very unhappy. The two elder ones did this without meaning to do it, but Edmund could be spiteful, and on this occasion he was spiteful.

The reader needed to understand that Edmund had problems much deeper than just eating magic food that would blind him to the truth about the witch. He was cured of the the enchantment quite early in the story, but his deeper hurt that caused him to be unkind and prompted him to make bad decisions wasn’t healed until Lucy gave him the cordial.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2013 4:41 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

2. It's a statement about Edmund's character in general, and will make some of his actions later on in the book less surprising. Also, like The Lady Arwen Undómiel said, it shows that he has much deeper problems than just an enchantment.

3. I thought it interesting that Edmund doesn't have quite the same sense of wonder as Lucy. I thought it was also interesting, considering what happens later on, that of course he doesn't like being wrong, but he likes being alone and isolated less.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2014 4:12 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Why do you think the wardrobe was just a wardrobe when Lucy got the others? It wasn't time for them to get in yet.

Why do you think Lewis made a point about how Edmund treats Lucy differently than Peter and Susan do? It helps us understand Edmund's character and a little about Peter's and Susan's as well.

3. What does Edmund's reaction to getting into Narnia say about him?He is not very curious. He feels uncomfortable so much so that he would rather admit he was wrong than be alone. I think it shows how negative he has become. He sees nothing interesting in his situation. He does have some decency as he does try to apologize to Lucy.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2014 2:53 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

That's a very good question. My instinct is that you can't get to Narnia when you're trying to go there. It has to always catch you by surprise; you can't be looking for it. Even when Lucy goes back to try the wardrobe for a second time, she actually ends up climbing into the wardrobe to hide because she heard footsteps, not to get into Narnia.

2. Why do you think Lewis made a point about how Edmund treats Lucy differently than Peter and Susan do?

I don't know if Edmund treats Lucy different, per se, but rather that he can be spiteful to just about anyone, and this was one of the times when he was feeling spiteful. However, he may have felt much more inclined towards picking on Lucy because she was younger and smaller.

The contrast between Lucy and Edmund's reactions to finding Narnia seems to strongly parallel their reactions to hearing Aslan's name for the first time. Lucy was only a little frightened but also curious and excited, whereas Edmund did not like it at all and wanted to go home almost immediately.

Favorite part is the description of the White Witch arriving with her entourage on her sled. My least favorite part is when nobody believed Lucy and she was so miserable. Poor girl!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2014 1:56 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. Why do you think the wardrobe was just a wardrobe when Lucy got the others? It's the first clue to the reader that Narnia is not a predictable magic. It adds an element of uncertainty to the experience even though the narrator bears out Lucy's story as fact.

Spoiler
Because Edmund is the one who will betray them, of course. It's foreshadowing.
He's fleshing out Edmund's personality.

3. What does Edmund's reaction to getting into Narnia say about him? He's reacting to his impression of the country -- it's strange, cold, quiet. (Did you notice that Lewis described the rising sun as large and red? The whole scene is echoed in Magician's Nephew!) Given what happens next, the impulse he didn't follow was a very sensible one.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 25, 2014 6:22 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

My instinct is that you can't get to Narnia when you're trying to go there. It has to always catch you by surprise; you can't be looking for it. Even when Lucy goes back to try the wardrobe for a second time, she actually ends up climbing into the wardrobe to hide because she heard footsteps, not to get into Narnia.

That's my opinion, as well. Also, as waggawerewolf27 put it, the other children went in with the expectation that it would be just a wardrobe. Finally, the other children just weren't ready to visit Narnia themselves--and it also tested Lucy's resolve to a certain degree, whether she would continue believing what she saw, or if she would cave into the pressure and claim it was all a story.

I agree that this was, in part, to help establish Edmund as a fairly rotten kid even before he meets the Witch (as Anfinwen pointed out). However, I think another reason why he distinguished that Edmund was spiteful was to make it clear that Peter and Susan were not. We end up hearing quite a bit about how miserable Lucy is, and without the reminder that Peter and Susan weren't doing this intentionally, it might be hard--especially for younger readers--to remember that only Edmund is being actively cruel. (I remember being younger and being mad at Peter and Susan for not believing Lucy.)

I think everyone else has already answered this question well. :P

One thing that stands out to me about this chapter is how Lucy was blatantly intending to not cause any more trouble by going into the wardrobe; she just wanted to see it, one more time, to try to figure out whether or not it had all been a dream. Edmund, on the other hand, goes up for the sole purpose of tormenting her more. This chapter is the one which really establishes Edmund's spiteful nature, and does it ever do it in spades. ;))

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2014 4:44 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Narnia doesn't seem to be a land you can get to by trying.

Because Edmund treats Lucy differently than Peter and Susan does. -That is vital to our understanding of the characters.

Well he doesn't seem to like being in Narnia at first. Perhaps it is because he doesn't like the goodness of the land, or conversely, perhaps he picks up on the fact that everything isn't "all right" there. At any rate, his impulse to apologize to Lucy is encouraging, showing that he at heart knows right from wrong, but when he doesn't get what he wants, he immediately blames Lucy, like the fox in the fable proclaiming the grapes he couldn't reach as sour.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2014 9:52 am
Share: