Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 2: What Lucy found there

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

**Note you do not have to answer all or any of these questions. They are suggestions. If you would rather just post some thoughts, questions of your own, etc., you are welcome to do so. :) **

1. Why do you think Lucy went so willingly with Mr. Tumnus?

2. Why do you think Mr. Tumnus entered the service of the white witch?

3. Why do you think it took Lucy so long to understand that she was being kidnapped?

4. What was your favorite part/least favorite part? Why?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 29, 2013 3:58 am
Bartholmew
(@bartholmew)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I think that a lot of children (myself included when I was young) are very trusting because they just don't know what types of people are out there - so I feel like Lucy just saw Mr Tumnus as a nice faun and she was curious since she had never seen anyone like him before.

2. To me his regret once he met his first Daughter of Eve - I feel that perhaps he felt he had no choice - it can be quite hard to stand up for what you believe in when everyone else seems to be going a different route and at this time in Narnia - the white witch had the control over the land - at least as far as the weather but I think even more then that - she was kind of the 'head dog' so to speak. I think that perhaps it felt like the safe and probably right route to go on.

To me Matthew 7:13-14 (NIV):

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

I feel like that verse says what Mr Tumnus was going through.

3. I think again it goes back to how trusting she was. This faun just invited you into his home to have tea and bite to eat did something super nice for you its hard to then realize his original intentions at first.

4. I really like how Mr Tumnus turns around and tries to make things right between him and Lucy.

You know, I don't want to over think this but re-reading this book as an adult I feel like there are a lot of small and perhaps large things that we can take from this. I suppose in a way there are two different messages that C.S. Lewis is trying to get across

Call me crazy, honestly never really seen that before today but with your questions you asked it made me think and I feel like this is definitely more then just another childerns book.

Anyways, I'm going to shut up and I look forward to hearing what everyone else thought of the first two chapters.

Also, I'm assuming we are reading the next two chapters for next week?

(I did see your post on chapter one but had nothing to say about that chapter)

Thanks again for doing this,

~Bart

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2013 12:25 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I think that Lucy was a typical child of her age when whole populations were being displaced and when war was dislocating a lot of families, not only the ones where children were evacuated en masse to the country. Lucy had already found herself in a strange place when she went to the Professor's place. What was so different about finding herself talking to a hairy faun carrying ordinary parcels, an ordinary umbrella and who spoke to her rather politely?

Would a modern day child, i.e. someone who hadn't grown up during WW2, react the same way as did Lucy, I wonder? Or have we all become too sensitive to the dangers of modern day civil Western society, and too distant from others in the same community? Or am I over thinking this question, having become an elder citizen of this board?

I remember being just as naive and innocent as a five year old as Lucy was in Narnia, but I felt much more wary about meeting strangers by the time I was about her age. My husband, growing up in the same WW2 era, said he had much more freedom of movement than is the case with children now. He only feared his parents' reactions if he got into trouble, not the bombing raids he could see in the distance. It also seems that WW2 caused people in UK to pull together as they faced clear and present danger from German bombardment and threatened invasion.

Well that is another war-related question. I agree with Bartholomew above, that Narnia had been oppressed by the White Witch so long, that Mr Tumnus might not have been given much alternative. It is obvious, even from what he says, that the WW was not at all running a nice free society where you get a proper trial. Her world was one where you were turned into statues for merely not doing exactly as you are told, or for having some humane, if not human, compunctions.

3. Why do you think it took Lucy so long to understand that she was being kidnapped?

I think that not only was Lucy a child of her dislocated times, and not at all the sort of suspicious children of the post-war era, as I mentioned in Q.1. Also, I think there was a certain disbelief which stopped her considering the possibility of being kidnapped. Perhaps she thought she was dreaming. Perhaps Lucy was having her own difficulties in believing in what she was seeing, ie fauns going shopping, middle of winter, a lantern in the middle of a fir/pine forest, and in a nice warm comfy cave. And the dinner was so nice.

4. What was your favorite part/least favorite part? Why? My least favourite part was when I learned that Mr Tumnus was a kidnapper, though his obvious remorse mollified me somewhat. My favourite part was the books on the shelf. Especially the one entitled "Is man a myth? Indeed. At odd times, when my existence, or even my presence has been somewhat overlooked, I, too, have wondered "Am I a myth?"

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2013 1:09 am
King_Erlian
(@king_erlian)
NarniaWeb Guru

Because I think she knew instinctively that Mr. Tumnus was going to be a really good friend. From time to time I've met people and felt on first meeting them that we would become good friends.

He was scared. He describes to Lucy the kind of things she would do to anyone who doesn't obey her, including being turned to stone.

See the answer to no. 1. Also, I don't think Mr. Tumnus was just "pretending" to be friends with Lucy. I think he liked her from the beginning as well.

I love the titles of Mr. Tumnus' books: "Is Man A Myth?" Even though there would be people in Narnia who would say that men existed in other countries such as Archenland and Calormen, and there would be the stories handed down of the ancient kings and queens of Narnia starting with Frank and Helen, some Narnians would still deny the existence of Man. Bit like Richard Dawkins. :-)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2013 1:21 am
King_Erlian
(@king_erlian)
NarniaWeb Guru

An extra thought: throughout the chapter, Lewis flips between referring to Mr. Tumnus as "he" and referring to him as "it" ("the faun"). Don't know whether that's significant...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2013 2:47 am
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think both these questions can be answered in one:
It was her innocence. Being so young she doesn't really know to be cautious, especially in an unknown place. Children easily trust people, and it can take them some time to realize things aren't as they appear.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2013 10:09 am
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

Would a modern day child, i.e. someone who hadn't grown up during WW2, react the same way as did Lucy, I wonder? Or have we all become too sensitive to the dangers of modern day civil Western society, and too distant from others in the same community? Or am I over thinking this question, having become an elder citizen of this board?

I don't think you're overthinking it at all! You have a very interesting observation, and one that I would usually agree with, however, I recently read a study that essentially checked that same hypothesis. Basically, this guy, with the permission of the parents, had the mothers bring their kids to a park, and then "hang out" with the other parents, so the kids weren't directly supervised. He then came by with a puppy, and was surprised by the number of children that first of all, engaged with him, and then went back to his car with him to "give the puppy water." He even got a couple of the kids to climb into his car and into the dog crates! The study, of course, was about the effectiveness of stranger danger training, but I think it is applicable here. We tend to expect kids to be more careful around strangers these days, but it might not be the case. I wish I could find the study again to link to it; it was really interesting.

On the other hand, I wonder if Lucy gained some extra confidence from the fact that the world probably seemed very fanciful and dream like. Don't we all dream of finding a way into the worlds of our favorite books? We don't know for sure what books Lucy enjoyed, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was a huge fan of fairytales. And don't all fairytales end happily for good children?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2013 9:02 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I don't think you're overthinking it at all! You have a very interesting observation, and one that I would usually agree with, however, I recently read a study that essentially checked that same hypothesis. Basically, this guy, with the permission of the parents, had the mothers bring their kids to a park, and then "hang out" with the other parents, so the kids weren't directly supervised. He then came by with a puppy, and was surprised by the number of children that first of all, engaged with him, and then went back to his car with him to "give the puppy water." He even got a couple of the kids to climb into his car and into the dog crates! The study, of course, was about the effectiveness of stranger danger training, but I think it is applicable here. We tend to expect kids to be more careful around strangers these days, but it might not be the case. I wish I could find the study again to link to it; it was really interesting.

On the other hand, I wonder if Lucy gained some extra confidence from the fact that the world probably seemed very fanciful and dream like. Don't we all dream of finding a way into the worlds of our favorite books? We don't know for sure what books Lucy enjoyed, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was a huge fan of fairytales. And don't all fairytales end happily for good children?

Well, possibly. But this unwariness of strangers is to be repeated in the next chapters, I notice. Yes, Lucy is trusting, and though Tumnus, as the White Witch's spy, had been obliged to try to capture her, he did have some conscience. In the example you give of modern day children, I'd imagine the children would have gained some confidence from the presence of other children. Maybe, because the Pevensie children were all together in a strange situation in real life, they are less wary than what they ought to be when alone in a fantastical world?

I don't know what sorts of books Lucy might read, though, since she hasn't got to boarding school yet, fairy tales are very likely. But what sorts of books do the others read? I'd venture that Susan would be into householdy and romantic type books, and would not be surprised if the boys read very few books at all unless they had to.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2013 6:36 pm
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

I think it was because there was still this sense of unreality; it was like a dream, and she wasn’t really thinking about what she was doing.

It was easier to just do what the witch wanted, than to suffer the consequences of refusing, and Tumnus said himself that he didn’t know what humans were like. In light of the fact that he had a book on his shelf titled “Is Man a Myth,” he probably never expected to actually have to turn anyone over to the witch, so he agreed.

She was quite a little girl and really didn’t grasp what was happening to her. In spite of leaving home due to air raids and go having to live with strangers, she still had the childish trust that nothing very bad could ever happen to her.

Does anyone know what sort of longevity fauns have? We know that the winter lasted a hundred years, but Tumnus seems to be describing the pre-winter activities from his own memory.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2013 4:33 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Does anyone know what sort of longevity fauns have?

I remember at the very end of the book it mentions that Mr. Tumnus is getting old, which would be near the end of the Golden Age, but other than that...

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2013 9:10 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Why do you think Lucy went so willingly with Mr. Tumnus? Well, I think it was all a bit dream-like and she seems rather trusting in general. :)

Why do you think Mr. Tumnus entered the service of the white witch? Good question. Like others have said, he probably didn't think he'd ever have to actually do any kidnapping; it's easier to agree to something if you'll never actually have to follow through. Also, Mr. Tumnus mentioned that the White Witch had spies everywhere, so it may've been rather hazardous to him if he didn't agree to be in her pay.

Why do you think it took Lucy so long to understand that she was being kidnapped? For one thing, Mr. Tumnus wasn't being very coherent, so I'm pretty sure anyone would've had trouble understanding that they were being kidnapped. ;))

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2014 4:12 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

For one thing she is young. I'm sure he sounded nice and he did offer her cake.
I think he knew deep down that what he was doing was wrong. I'm guessing he was motivated by fear and greed. I get the idea that it was a conscience decision on his part. Not a blanket order the witch gave to everyone as the Walden movie implies.
I'm guessing her age has something to do with it. She is naive and very kind hearted. (It reminds me of Jane in Pride and Prejudice always wanting people to be good). She also was rather flustered at that time. She was focused on helping Mr. Tumnus feel better.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2014 2:47 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Well, she's young and she may not have the best judgment. Also, what has happened to her is so fantastical and she may, on some level, think that she's dreaming. I think a lot of people wouldn't be thinking very rationally if they wandered through a wardrobe and met a Faun in another world!

2. Why do you think Mr. Tumnus entered the service of the White Witch?

Probably safety and security, I should think, though I don't think he has a actual position in the ranks of the White Witch, so to speak. Tumnus says that he's her "kidnapper", but I don't get the feeling that he has a regular job of going around and kidnapping people for her. He doesn't really seem like the type of person who would be effective at such a task. I think he said that in reference to what he was doing at the time: following the White Witch's orders to bring her any human child that happened to wander into Narnia.

Because Mr. Tumnus seemed so genuinely nice and friendly, and also because she's young and doesn't yet understand that some adults can be very bad people and do very bad things. Even though I'm grown up, I think I'd be pretty slow to realize what was actually going on if a Faun had treated me to such a nice tea as Mr. Tumnus treated Lucy!

My favorite part was the description of the tea and Tumnus's tales about Narnia and his music; that was a lovely paragraph. My least favorite part was when Mr. Tumnus says he'd only been nice and cordial to Lucy because he was trying to find a way to take her to the White Witch. That felt very cold, though obviously he proved that he was a good-hearted Faun when he risked everything to see Lucy back to the lamp-post.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2014 12:04 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

I agree with everyone else that it was likely her innocence, not realizing the danger of going with a stranger to his house. (When I was young and hearing this story, it never occurred to me that the nice faun would try to kidnap Lucy!) At the same time, though, I wonder if her curiosity played a part in it. After all, this is the same girl who was willing to continue walking after discovering that the back of the wardrobe led into a snowy wood--and Mr. Tumnus could answer even more of her questions!

I agree that it's likely that Mr. Tumnus wasn't given much choice. And, after all, he was hired to keep an eye out for a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve--and what's the likelihood of that every happening? I can see him justifying it with, "Why should I refuse and risk her wrath for a situation that's likely to never happen?"

Up to this point, Mr. Tumnus had seemed very genuine in his friendship, telling her all kinds of fascinating stories, offering her tea, etc. He'd spent hours with her before doing anything suspicious. I think Lucy just couldn't wrap her mind around the idea that her new friend had actually faked it the entire time. Also, Lucy probably doesn't understand why anyone would want to kidnap her, so it could take a while for her to make the connection. Besides that, there had to be some confusion over the fact that he was telling her all this, even though he hadn't locked her in a room nor had the Witch come to collect her; if he was kidnapping her, why would he tell her this when she still had an opportunity to escape?

This is a bit of a tangent, but... recently, my brother realized that this part of the story is actually oddly similar to the beginning of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. An evil queen wants to kill/capture an innocent young girl, and hires a woodsman to do the deed. However, he has a change of heart, and gives the girl a chance to escape. I don't know if the parallel was in any way intentional, but we thought it was amusing. ;))

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2014 10:01 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

He was friendly and inviting. She was probably not only curious to know more about Narnia, but wanted to make a new friend as well.

Easy money. It wasn't likely that a human would even enter Narnia, and he probably convinced himself that any one that did could be a threat to Narnia and should be reported. Perhaps he was also bullied into the position and felt that if he didn't take it on he might be prosecuted as a traitor.

Kidnappers don't usually confess while in the act. Also, remember, Lucy is young. She can't foresee the consequences of what Tumnus is saying as quickly as an adult could. Besides, I'm not so sure it took all that long for her to understand the situation. It takes approximately 40 seconds for Lucy to go from believing Mr. Tumnus is her friend to understanding he is her captor, and that is largely due to his roundabout way of telling her.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2014 9:37 am
Share: