Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 1: Lucy looks into a Wardrobe

Page 2 / 2
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm trying something new. While I usually read ALL posts in a thread before sounding my own opinion, this time I am going to simply answer the questions honestly and without influence. Hopefully this will present a unique point of view that will occasionally inspire more thought/discussion, but I apologize in advance for the inevitable unintentional restating of arguments of those who posted before me. 'Nuff said.

1. Do you think the animals the children want to see says anything about their personalities? If so what?

Sure. It is the little things, i.e. likes, dislikes, choices, etc., that help to give the characters shape.

In my version, Peter speaks of owls, eagles, and hawks, -birds that symbolize wisdom and nobility.

Lucy is excited over badgers, which are small and adorable, but tenacious and formidable.

Edmund thinks of foxes, which are tricky and wily creatures. Also in Aesop's fairy tales, foxes tend to be the cleverest.

Susan is interested in rabbits, gentle animals that are swift and soft.

Do these animals suggest traits that the children will develop within the story? Do they foreshadow Lucy the Valiant, Edmund the Just, Susan the Gentle, and Peter the Magnificent? I think so.

2. Do you think it is believable that Lucy would want to look in the wardrobe? Why or Why not?

Yes. They are exploring. It is natural to want to discover new things when one is exploring. The children wanted to learn what was inside each room. Lucy wanted to learn what was inside what was inside the room.

3. The first night in the Professor's house Lucy is easily frightened by both the Professor and the strange noises in the house. Later, when she steps into the wardrobe, she "felt a little frightened, but she felt very inquisitive and excited as well." Do you think this tells us anything about her personality?

For whatever reason, Lucy feels safer in the wardrobe than she does in the big empty house. She knows something is not normal in the wardrobe, but she doesn't immediately perceive any threat.

4. If you found a snow-covered wood in an old wardrobe and knew nothing about Narnia, what would you do?

Wonder if it had anything to do with the war effort.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2014 9:14 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: