Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 10 - The Return of the Lion

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What does it say about the boys and Trumpkin that they want to stop and cook the bear's meat while they are trying to find their way out of the gorge? What does it say about Susan that she wants to keep going and finish it?

2. Do you agree with Peter that he "ought to have his head smacked for bringing [them that] way at all"?

3. Why do you think Edmund can't see Aslan?

4. Why do you think Aslan wouldn't tell Lucy what would have happened?

5. What do you think Aslan meant when he said "every year you grow, you will find me bigger."?

6. Lewis includes some small details or asides, such as what kind of bear is good to eat and how the gorge would be good for a picnic. Why do you think he did this? What does it add to the story?

7. Lewis shows the children being quite mature and kingly/queenly in this chapter, as well as being just children. What examples stand out for you?

8. Why is Lucy sobbing as she meets Aslan?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 9, 2014 1:58 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

1. What does it say about the boys and Trumpkin that they want to stop and cook the bear's meat while they are trying to find their way out of the gorge? What does it say about Susan that she wants to keep going and finish it?
I think it speaks to the fact that the boys and Trumpkin are taking this very practically, and acknowledging that, in all likelihood, they're not going to get to Caspian's camp tonight. They realize and accept that they're probably just going to have to make camp for the night. For Susan, it speaks to just how impractical she's being right now. She's so desperate to get out of the woods that she won't acknowledge that it's likely not going to be possible this night.

2. Do you agree with Peter that he "ought to have his head smacked for bringing [them that] way at all"?
Ehhh, I tend to agree more with Trumpkin's assessment that if it's his fault, it's everyone's fault. The only way he could have known that their way would have led to trouble was a) the problems that Trumpkin acknowledged and b) not listening to Lucy when they saw Aslan. In both cases, everyone else should have seen through it as well. I can understand Peter having more guilt over it than the others, given that he's the High King and all, but it's not as if he, specifically, made a foolish decision compared to the others.

I think Aslan is testing them, to some degree. He's both testing the others' faith in him - possibly in Lucy, as well - as well as testing Lucy's resolve, whether or not she'll push for the others to go with her, or possibly even head out alone. For both Edmund and Lucy's sakes in the long run, Edmund can't see him yet.

For one thing, there are so many possibilities branching off what might have happened had Lucy followed him in the first place. That's a much more complicated question than we give it credit for. Secondly, Lucy is being given the opportunity to do it again, potentially - she's being asked to tell her siblings that she saw Aslan again, and hope that they'll believe her enough to follow her. If not, she'll have to make the same decision and trust Aslan again. It's not a matter of faith if Aslan gives her the answer before hand. Finally... honestly, I've always thought of it as if she wasn't willing to make the choice back then, she doesn't really deserve to know what would have happened.

5. What do you think Aslan meant when he said "every year you grow, you will find me bigger."?
Well, I think this mainly serves as a metaphor for a deeper understanding of him as time goes on, which in Aslan's case, manifests as him being/seeming physically bigger to Lucy. To another degree, though, I think it's also a sort of reminder that no matter how much older and bigger Lucy gets, Aslan will always be a huge lion by comparison.

One thing I wonder, though - did Aslan seem bigger to Lucy when she grew up in Narnia as a Queen? Did it happen gradually enough that she didn't really notice until she became a little girl again? Or did she never/rarely actually see Aslan during her time as Queen, enough that she never noticed?

6. Lewis includes some small details or asides, such as what kind of bear is good to eat and how the gorge would be good for a picnic. Why do you think he did this? What does it add to the story?
For me at least, it gave a further idea of knowledge and experience. Even though it was technically the narrator telling us this, the way it's written gives you the idea that the children were aware of this, reminding us that they all - and Trumpkin - have experience in matters like this. Details like that, which you'd never think of if you have never experienced that kind of thing yourself, help remind us of this. Also, of course, it just makes the story a little richer - instead of just saying "they ate well", we get a description of how well the meal went, despite how miserably the rest of the day went for our heroes.

7. Lewis shows the children being quite mature and kingly/queenly in this chapter, as well as being just children. What examples stand out for you?
I think Lucy's behavior when she was woken up by the mysterious voice sums it up very well. She wakes up and sees the trees, remembering back to her days as a Narnian Queen and drawing on that experience. However, when she sees Aslan, she throws caution to the wind and runs to him like a excited little girl. Then she talks to Aslan, and after he mentions that time has been lost... ironically, at this point, I think Lucy kind of adopts that "grown up" attitude she's come to hate from Susan, which really serves to make her sound more childish. She recognizes that, though, when Aslan growls at her. I think this whole scene is a good example of that limbo Lucy is in between being a young English girl and a Narnian Queen again.

I would think it's mainly tears of joy, though I imagine to some degree, there might simply be the fear that Aslan will disappear again, like he did when she saw him earlier that day. I think it's mainly the former, though.

One thing I do wonder, though, related to my note from earlier: how long has it actually been since Lucy has seen Aslan? At least a year of her experience, just because of the time they spent in England, and who knows when the last time they saw Aslan was while she was still in Narnia. Potentially, as far as Lucy is concerned, it may have been years since she last saw Aslan.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2015 8:37 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

I can relate to how Susan felt, but as Ryadian points out, the boys were more aware of the realities of the situation. It's also possible that they were more hungry :)

Not really. It was good, as High King, that he was willing to accept the responsibility for the mistakes that were made; as Trumpkin reminded him, it wasn't all his own idea, nor necessarily a worse move tactically than the other options.

Partly as a test of faith for Lucy; if Edmund had also seen Aslan immediately, the question of following him would not have arisen. Perhaps he didn't really believe it was Aslan at first, either; he may have just been trying to support Lucy.

Too often we tend to focus on the "if onlys" of life, instead of doing the task that lies immediately ahead. I mean, we can learn from our past mistakes: we ought not to allow them to dictate our future. And if he told her once, she would expect to be told again. Pondering over past possibilities is like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book; fascinating, but dangerous.

5. What do you think Aslan meant when he said "every year you grow, you will find me bigger"?
Are there any limits to the greatness of God? And can we ever know all? I think it is the principle of line upon line, precept upon precept - growing to know Him as we mature in our walk.

Well first, it adds to the sense of contrast between what they were really experiencing and an ideal picnic. You realize that they are not there just for pleasure, without the fact being bluntly stated. Also, it is these little asides and commentary on seemingly unrelated topics that make Lewis's stories so charming.

Peter accepting the blame, as mentioned earlier. Edmund accepting his own role in the decision. Lucy not saying "I told you so." Even Susan kept hiking when she didn't feel like it. As an aside, though, do you think that Susan was a whiny queen? It seems out of character for her mature self to behave so.

She loves Aslan dearly, of course, and is filled with joy at being with him. She had also been through a great deal of physical effort and emotional stress. It must have been a great relief to feel that it was all over. Of course, it wasn't to be quite as easy as she wished, but she didn't know that.

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2015 5:28 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What does it say about the boys and Trumpkin that they want to stop and cook the bear's meat while they are trying to find their way out of the gorge? What does it say about Susan that she wants to keep going and finish it? They are hungry and likely know that food will give them energy. Susan doesn't like the traveling and would rather have food and rest after all the work is done.

2. Do you agree with Peter that he "ought to have his head smacked for bringing [them that] way at all"? Yes and no, he needs to take responsibility because he is the High King and thus the leader. The part that really deserves the head smacking is not following Aslan.

I guess because Aslan wants him and the others to learn to have faith in something they can't see. I would have thought that he ought to be able to see him since he sided with Lucy. Aslan knows best however.
It wouldn't do her any good; she couldn't do that now anyway.
She will understand him better and know him better so he will seem bigger.
It gives it a conversational feel as well as making it seem more real. It makes it more fun to read.
Well, they are stronger. Lucy shows great character in not saying "I told you so." They still seem like children in some of their interaction with each other.
She is so happy to see him she is sobbing (she might also be upset because the others didn't believe her.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 23, 2015 2:13 pm
Share: