Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 11 - The Lion Roars

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

As they journey to meet Aslan, which characters do you feel most sympathy with?

Peter asks, "Why should Aslan be invisible to us?" What could you reply?

Aslan roars. Which of the effects impresses or thrills you most?

Which character do you think you would have reacted like if you were awakened in the night by Lucy? (Or if you don't think you would have acted like any of them how do you think you would have acted?)

Why do you think Susan asked Lucy what she should say to Aslan?

At first only Lucy can see Aslan and then one by one the others are able to see him. In chapter 10, Lucy asks Aslan if the others will see him. He repies, "Certainly not at first ... Later on it depends." What do you think it depends on? How does being able to see Aslan work?

What does the argument of whether or not to follow Lucy tell us about each of the characters?

Why did Bacchus and Silenus come when the trees awoke?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2014 1:30 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Probably Peter. Of the four who were woken up suddenly, he's the only one who didn't snappishly make some snide comment to someone else, which makes it a little easier to sympathize with him. As for Lucy herself, she still has Aslan's strength flowing through her, which is more than can be said for the others.

Well, why did they not all find the path to Narnia in the wardrobe at the same time previously? Why didn't Aslan just bring them directly to Caspian's camp instead of making them walk? Aslan isn't a tame lion; if he chooses to be invisible, he's going to be invisible.

The dryads and naiads awakening. It's the last piece of old Narnia that still hasn't been restored, until Aslan's roar. It's a reminder that Aslan's roar is more than just a way to terrify the enemy; it's also a wonderful, restorative thing.

Which character do you think you would have reacted like if you were awakened in the night by Lucy? (Or if you don't think you would have acted like any of them how do you think you would have acted?)
Oh, either Susan or Edmund, depending on whether or not I believed Lucy. I'm very irritable when woken up in the middle of the night, and this is assuming I've eaten well and haven't been marching the day before. ;) I don't think the behavior of any of the children nor Trumpkin is really all that surprising, all in all.

I think Susan knew how badly she'd been behaving, now that she was undeniably faced with the fact that she was wrong. Having to face Aslan with that in mind... really, I don't know what can be said (which is why I think Aslan was merciful in not making her say much, as Lucy suggested). If any of the company would have any idea of what to say to Aslan, it would probably be Lucy - and Susan recognizes that.

At first only Lucy can see Aslan and then one by one the others are able to see him. In chapter 10, Lucy asks Aslan if the others will see him. He repies, "Certainly not at first ... Later on it depends." What do you think it depends on? How does being able to see Aslan work?
I think it depends on whether or not Aslan wants them to see him, as opposed to any specific rule of magic or anything like that. As to when they would begin to see him, I think they started to see him once they started really believing he was there. Additionally, it also follows the order of those who trusted in Lucy - and, by extension, Aslan; Edmund was the one who voted with Lucy and who woke up the others when they wouldn't listen to her, and was the second one to see him. Peter was the only one who actually seemed torn before voting for down, and he's the one who tonight finally decided to follow. The book doesn't really specify whether Trumpkin or Susan sees Aslan first (if there is a first), but neither of them really believed Aslan was there until it was pretty much undeniable, and they saw him last.

What does the argument of whether or not to follow Lucy tell us about each of the characters?
Lucy is forced to be assertive here in order to convey Aslan's message, but we see her approaching it very shakily. She's brave enough to speak up to her older siblings and Trumpkin when she knows she has to, even though we can see that it scares her and that she likely doesn't want to cause a fight. I think it's telling that, even though Edmund could not see Aslan and didn't understand why, he's still the one who took the initiative to wake up all of the others (who are also all older than him), and he stands his ground against the others. Granted, his stubbornness is just as much his annoyance with Susan as it is trusting in Lucy, but the book explicitly states that he's going to back her up no matter what, despite not seeing Aslan.

Peter doesn't seem to want to have to choose between the divided company any more now than he did at the vote at the gorge. Regardless, we see that he's learned his lesson, and when it becomes clear that the group has to make a choice, he sides with Lucy and Edmund this time, even if it means getting up in the middle of the night to follow an invisible Aslan. Trumpkin still doesn't believe in any of it, but as he says, he still follows Peter's decision, just like he did when Caspian blew the horn - his loyalty outweighs his disbelief. As for Susan... wow, these last two chapters do not give us a very nice image of Susan, huh? It's interesting how Susan, formerly the peacekeeper and the gentle one, is the one who stubbornly refuses to get up, who argues with the rest of the group when they want to leave, etc., mainly because of how difficult it has been for the past couple of days. And she admits later that deep down, she really did know better. I wonder if she would've behaved this way at all if Trumpkin hadn't been there to back up her disbelief in the situation, or if she would've just occasionally been a wet blanket but still went along with the group.

Aslan's roar affected more than just the trees; we also know that it woke the river god as well. Likely, Bacchus and Silenus felt the same call that the trees did, and even though they weren't sure it would be a Romp until they arrived, they knew that Aslan was calling them to him.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2015 6:52 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Lucy the most, I suppose; partly because she is not entirely perfect. It is most telling that she had to bite her lip in order not to say what she is tempted to say. I also feel very sorry for Susan, who is creating most of her own difficulties by her obstructive attitude.

"He said he would be," wouldn't sound very convincing, would it? But what else would you say? It feels like Moses and the signs in Egypt, except without the signs.

The fear it inspired in the humans. The fact that everyone heard. The wave of trees approaching.

She admitted that she had been treating Lucy badly; this was a tacit form of acknowledging the closeness of Lucy's relationship to the Lion.

It seems that it is based on obedience--the farther they follow him, the more clearly they see him. Hindered or helped by their faith, perhaps. Although there could be other factors. Aslan points that out at the magician's house in VDT.

Edmund's stance was basically the same, if a bit grumpier, than the first time.
Susan had always been one of the ones in charge, looking after the younger ones as a surrogate mother. She didn't like having to follow the lead of her younger sister, particularly when her inclinations of the previous day had proved wrong. After all, how could Lucy be right if she herself hadn't been?
Peter's decision had also not worked out well, but he was not holding onto it. In the end, he did what was right, even though he was uncertain.
I'd say that Trumpkin was getting a bit aggravated by the delays. He retained his loyalty to the High King, but didn't alter his scepticism.

Did they come because of the trees, or because Aslan woke them, too? It sure looked as if everyone in the whole country woke up, if the sound disturbed the giants on the northern borders.

Another question comes to mind. Though Susan recognizes them from Tumnus's stories, they hadn't met them themselves. Why were these two not around in the Golden Age?

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2015 6:26 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

Definitely Lucy she had to deal with the others' moods.
Maybe you haven't been looking for him? Or aren't ready to see him?
The image of the trees coming en masse to him.
Like Edmund - I would have done what she said but been grumpy about it.
Lucy was the only one who had talked to Aslan.
Well, Aslan has to want them to see him and they likely must have enough faith to see him.
It confirms that Trumpkin does not believe in Aslan but has loyalty to the High King. Susan is trying to act like a grown up but it comes of as being childish. She only cares about her comfort. Peter still does not make the decision himself but listens to Edmund. Edmund is true to Lucy but doesn't make it easy on her because he is annoyed with the timing.
Maybe Aslan woke them as well? Or they were elsewhere and heard his roar and wanted to see him.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 23, 2015 2:39 pm
Share: