Share:
Notifications
Clear all

First-Shall-Be-Last Geography

Page 33 / 129
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

New South Wales, the State of Australia where it all began in the Antipodes. Not to be confused with South Wales, in UK. Grin  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2020 2:20 pm
Courtenay liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Springfield (Missouri, USA)

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2020 3:27 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Delaware, a small eastern state in the USA (immortalised in that song "What did Della-wear?... She wore a brand New Jersey" and so on Wink )

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2020 11:48 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, a cathedral city with a very long history going back as far as 673 AD, when St Etheldreda founded an Abbey there. 

@Courtenay: Interesting song. I remember it from when I was very young, but never understood the words 'til I read your entry. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2020 10:14 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Yarmouth, officially Great Yarmouth, a seaside town in south east England.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2020 10:36 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

Hastings, East Sussex, England

(Most famous for the Battle of Hastings in 1066, although the conflict took place some miles away from the town and the village that grew up closest to the actual site is appropriately called Battle. But the Battle of Battle would just sound silly, so the Battle of Hastings it is. Grin The town also has namesakes in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US.)

(Scene from the famous Bayeux Tapestry depicting the Battle of Hastings — photo by Dan Koehl, from Wikipedia.)

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2020 3:32 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Swansea, a seaside town south of Newcastle, NSW, (Australia) but which is called after a (seaside?) city in South Wales.  Is Swansea in South Wales by any chance known for coal mining or other heavy industry?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2020 2:17 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

Had to look it up, as I've never been to that part of Wales, but Swansea was historically mostly known for copper smelting! It's not far from the coal mining regions, though.

Annerley (a suburb of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2020 2:33 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Yennora, New South Wales, one of Sydney's south western suburbs.

There is still coal mining around in the Hunter valley, mostly near Cessnock & up to Singleton, with Newcastle as the main port. There is a saying about taking coal to Newcastle, ie doing something unnecessary, because the coal is already there. I never understood whether it was our Newcastle or England's Newcastle, or maybe both. Swansea is near the mouth of Lake Macquarie. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2020 3:47 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Atlanta (Georgia, USA)

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2020 11:26 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

There is a saying about taking coal to Newcastle, ie doing something unnecessary, because the coal is already there. I never understood whether it was our Newcastle or England's Newcastle, or maybe both.

It must be both, because they have that saying here in England, and theirs is the original Newcastle! I suppose the saying transferred easily to Australia once there was a Newcastle there with a connection to coal as well.

Azerbaijan, a country on the Caspian Sea between Eastern Europe and Western Asia

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2020 12:40 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Newcastle, NSW, Australia, since Courtney & I am talking about it.....

@Courteney

It must be both, because they have that saying here in England, and theirs is the original Newcastle! I suppose the saying transferred easily to Australia once there was a Newcastle there with a connection to coal as well.

Yes, very likely. Perhaps it was because of the discovery of coal there, that Newcastle was actually called Newcastle. All around Sydney, from Newcastle, up into the Great Dividing Range, & back to where it approaches the sea again, there seems to have been a whole lot of coal, easily discovered by George Bass & Matthew Flinders when they took the Tom Thumb, down the South Coast, past the City of Wollongong. Apparently, they could even see the seams of coal from the sea at places like Coalcliff, Coledale & other related places south of Stanwell Park, famous for Lawrence Hargreaves' early Australian experiences with aviation.

My family-in-law settled in Cessnock, near Newcastle, but judging from my experience with Trivago, there is no such place as Cessnock in either South Wales or East England. Grin  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2020 4:36 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Ellerslie, a suburb in the city of Auckland, New Zealand. Famous for a racecourse, and a big garden show (based on the Chelsea Flower Show in London).

(Newcastle is a popular name in UK, including one in Northern Ireland,(near the foot of the Mourne Mountains, a possible inspiration for parts of Narnia), one in Shropshire, one in the far northeast of England, one in Staffordshire, and three in Wales!)

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2020 11:57 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

Well, there must literally have been a new castle built at each of those places at one stage and the name just stuck... Grin  

Ecclefechan, a village in southern Scotland 

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2020 12:56 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Narrabundah, ACT, a suburb of Canberra, Australia's Capital city.

@ coracle

(Newcastle is a popular name in UK, including one in Northern Ireland,(near the foot of the Mourne Mountains, a possible inspiration for parts of Narnia), one in Shropshire, one in the far northeast of England, one in Staffordshire, and three in Wales!)

Yes, I'd imagine so, though many of these "castles" or forts were buried in Latin derived place names, such as Silchester, Cirencester, & Chester, itself. Is there any place called Newcastle in NZ, though, I was wondering? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2020 3:42 pm
Page 33 / 129
Share: