Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Reepicheep’s voice

NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

What exactly should Reepicheep sound like in the series? I remember watching the PC film for the first time and being shocked at how deep his voice sounded, mainly because I was used to his voice in the Radio Play adaptations. 

Most people don’t seem to mind this, the only comment I’ve seen on it came from King Erlian where he mentioned that “They didn't have Mr. and Mrs. Beaver try to sound like real beavers, or Reepicheep all high-pitched and squeaky like a real mouse.” 

But the thing is, that’s the way Reepicheep’s voice is supposed to sound. (VDT mentions he has a shrill, piping voice.) 

So what does anyone think? I think giving him a higher voice would help set him apart from Walden’s RPC.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 11, 2023 10:59 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I know that C. S. Lewis describes Reepicheep's voice as shrill and piping, but it never works for me when I try to imagine it that way or in the Radio Theater version. Not when it comes to his dramatic lines anyway and he has a lot of those. I wouldn't want it to be too deep either because that might be comical. But in all honesty, I'd rather it be really deep than really high. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 12:07 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

In the Star Wars universe, Yoda has a high voice, in the first movie he appeared in at least. I imagine Reepicheep the same way (but with a courtly English accent, not faux-Chinese)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 12:55 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I always do Reepicheep's voice as fairly high-pitched when reading the stories out loud — higher than my normal speaking voice (as an adult woman with a relatively deep voice), but not to the point of making him sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks (I'm dating myself there Grin ). For me it needs to sound like a voice that could credibly come from a mouse — one who's much larger than ordinary non-talking mice, but still a mouse — and yet not sound too absurd, although his characterisation in the books is really quite comical, just not in an outright silly way. In both the books Reepicheep appears in, a big theme is the contrast between his small size and his huge bravery (or outright recklessness), brought out by the fact that he's extremely self-conscious about being so small and extremely concerned about not being taken seriously because of it:

"Highest of all High Kings," said Reepicheep, "permit me to remind you that a very small size has been bestowed on us Mice, and if we did not guard our dignity, some (who weigh worth by inches) would allow themselves very unsuitable pleasantries at our expense. That is why I have been at some pains to make it known that no one who does not wish to feel this sword as near his heart as I can reach shall talk in my presence about Traps or Toasted Cheese or Candles: no, Sir — not the tallest fool in Narnia!" Here he glared very fiercely up at Wimbleweather, but the Giant, who was always a stage behind everyone else, had not yet discovered what was being talked about down at his feet, and so missed the point. (PC, ch. 15, pp. 177-8 in the Puffin edition)

There's a lot of comedy in that speech and many of Reepicheep's other utterances — affectionate comedy, because we can't help admiring him and loving him to bits (I can't, anyway), but we're still laughing — and for me, a good deal of that effect is carried by it being delivered in the kind of voice you'd expect such a small creature to have, in sheer contrast with his bravado. That doesn't come across nearly as well if his words are delivered in a baritone register! But as I said, it does also need to be done in a way that isn't too silly. Not an easy task and it'll be interesting to see what the next adaptations of PC and VDT do with him.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 2:46 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

I always do Reepicheep's voice as fairly high-pitched when reading the stories out loud — higher than my normal speaking voice (as an adult woman with a relatively deep voice), but not to the point of making him sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks (I'm dating myself there Grin ).

I'm guessing you talk in your "head voice" when you do Reepicheep. It's most common to talk to in chest voice. I think a lot of us tend to sing in the voice that we speak in ("chest voice"). Singing in "head voice" takes a lot of practice and training.

Anyhow, I could see how they would use Reepicheep talking in a higher voice. I think in the Focus Family Radio Theatre, Robert Benfield, who voiced the Adult Edmund at the end of LWW and HHB, also voiced Reepicheep, and he spoke in a higher voice. I think he used his head voice to talk for Reepicheep.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 5:33 pm
NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @courtenay

I always do Reepicheep's voice as fairly high-pitched when reading the stories out loud — higher than my normal speaking voice (as an adult woman with a relatively deep voice), but not to the point of making him sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks (I'm dating myself there Grin ).

Aww I wish I could hear you do it, you probably do a really good job.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2023 2:17 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@nicemice2023 Well, I dunno about that... I can't guarantee he doesn't come out with an Aussie accent!! Grin  (I still have one, even after over 10 years of living in England.)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2023 3:56 pm
Share: