Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Best Character Adaptation?

Page 1 / 2
MountainFireflower
(@mountainfireflower)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Mods, I'm not sure if there's already a thread for this, so if so, I apologize. :)

Which character do you think was most faithful to the book?

I'm torn between several different options. I liked the development of Caspian a lot, as well as Lucy. Aslan was well done but could have used more screen time. Edmund's adaptation was so-so, and I really loved Reepicheep. But I think I'd have to say Eustace. Even though we didn't get to see nearly as much as him as I would have liked, that's what the Silver Chair is for (provided it gets green-lit). I loved how perfectly his character was portrayed, and Will Poulter did an amazing job. Eustace pretty much made the movie for me.

So what about you? Who did you think came across the best from book to screen?

av by dot

Topic starter Posted : December 22, 2010 5:01 pm
FencerforJesus
(@fencerforjesus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Overall, VDT was the most spot on in terms of faithful character adaptation. Both LWW and PC has character problems, specifically Peter and Caspian. Lucy, Edmund, and Reep were by far the best done in LWW and PC. But in VDT, I thought everyone was as close to the book as possible (in terms of character, even with plot adjustment compensation). But if there was one character I had to pick, it would have to be Eustace. Will Poulter still blows me away with his performance and even dragon-Eustace pulls of an amazing performance. Reep is 2nd followed by Edmund. And I really hope they get a really good actor for Puddleglum, because he is one of the most memorable Narnian characters in the whole series.

Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.

Posted : December 22, 2010 5:17 pm
Aravis Narnia
(@aravis-narnia)
NarniaWeb Nut

I like how they show Edmund maturing throughout the three movies- while still having human moments.

I like how they portrayed Eustace. But someone I know who watched the movie disliked him very much.

And of course, Aslan was awesome.

Posted : December 23, 2010 1:00 am
Lady Haleth
(@lady-haleth)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Eustace, definitely. Though I think Caspian (except for the whole 'my-father-is-disappointed-in-me' thing) was actually closer to his book character than he was in the previous movie. He seemed less angsty.

The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot

Posted : December 23, 2010 4:56 am
aragorn2
(@aragorn2)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I think Caspian was the closest to the book character though Eustace was by far my favorite. :)

Posted : December 23, 2010 11:54 am
greenbird37
(@greenbird37)
NarniaWeb Nut

I would have to say Eustace...he did an amazing performance! He was very believable as the annoying cousin in the book and dragon-Eustace was very well done.

Caspian runs a close second....better in this one than in PC! :)

"We have nothing if not belief"

Posted : December 23, 2010 12:31 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

Eustace, definitely! and I think Edmund is second best! :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : December 23, 2010 12:40 pm
Brisa
(@brisa)
NarniaWeb Nut

Eustace, definitely. His character was spot-on from the book. :D

Posted : December 23, 2010 12:48 pm
aslanscountry
(@aslanscountry)
NarniaWeb Nut

Eustace first, followed by Lucy, Reep and Aslan in no particular order :)

You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye

Posted : December 23, 2010 12:54 pm
jo_yan
(@jo_yan)
NarniaWeb Regular

I have always been biased toward Edmund and I would have picked him if it's LWW or PC we're talking about. I think Edmund's portrayal is still nice here but the goldwater scene really didn't do it for me. Eustace, on the other hand, is absolutely spot-on, so I picked him. ;)

In my opinion, Reep is second-best, too bad he doesn't have a vote yet.

Posted : December 23, 2010 2:13 pm
Shastafan
(@shastafan)
NarniaWeb Guru

Eustace to me is the closest to the best adapted character. Comparing him to the book, even with the changes, I feel like he's spot on, and that he's almost exactly the same. ;)

As for the characters, adaption changes can be necessary and still be great. But movie adaption best character goes to Eustace. :D

Narnia Avatars and Siggies

Posted : December 24, 2010 7:14 am
georgiefan1
(@georgiefan1)
NarniaWeb Guru

Eustace was best adapted definitely! He was perfect in this movie with his character. Edmund is in second he was also great in this movie

NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!

Posted : December 24, 2010 8:40 am
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

Eustace. I don't know if he was as mean as he was in the book, but Poulter's performance blew me away. So in any case, I enjoyed him the most! :)

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : December 24, 2010 3:03 pm
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Eustace. I am so glad they cast Will Poulter... it was better than I expected! Almost exactly what I imagined Eustace to be like when reading the book.

Posted : December 25, 2010 8:46 am
moo25
(@moo25)
NarniaWeb Regular

Eustace, definately. While I could pick out a couple of areas for improvement for all of the other character's adaptations, Will Poulter's performance blew me away. I'm so SO glad that they cast him- I can't imagine anyone portraying him better. :D

I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Posted : December 30, 2010 1:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: