Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Winnie the Pooh SF

Page 2 / 3
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

ah Winnie the Pooh!
I love The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the movie- originally 3 separate shorts. I loved the series on tv! and I quite enjoy the other movies too. I own them, mostly all. Still waiting for the series to be properly released. Very much looking for the upcoming movie too, not for another year or two though.

I've always counted Tigger as my favorite, being a guy, but in actuality I don't have a specific. I love them all, including Gopher who "isn't in the book"

Posted : May 1, 2010 2:36 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have an classic tigger money bank and a classic pooh soft toy. Then all the new version of minnie the pooh stuffed toys and plantey of books. One of them includes a holiday stories.(their is an easter story, thanks giving, halloween, christmas and somethign else but i can't remeber, i think it could of been eeyores birthday).

Posted : May 1, 2010 6:32 pm
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)
Member Moderator Emeritus

So, I hunted through the books and found my favorites Winnie-the-Pooh quotes:

"It all comes," said Rabbit sternly, "of eating too much. I thought at the time," said Rabbit, "only I didn't like to say anything," said Rabbit, "that one of us was eating too much," said Rabbit, "and I knew it wasn't me," he said."

"Eeyore, what are you doing there?" said Rabbit.
"I'll give you three guesses, Rabbit. Digging holes in the ground? Wrong. Leaping from branch to branch of a young oak-tree? Wrong. Waiting for somebody to help me out of the river? Right. Give Rabbit time, and he'll always get the answer."

"Supposing we hit him by mistake?" said Piglet anxiously.
"Or supposing you missed him by mistake," said Eeyore. "Think of all the possibilities, Piglet, before you settle down to enjoy yourselves."

"Now, Pooh," [Rabbit] said, "when I say 'Now!' you can drop it. Eeyore, when I say 'Now!' Pooh will drop his stone."
"Thank you very much, Rabbit, but I expect I shall know."

"Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.
Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

"But, Eeyore," said Pooh, "was it a Joke, or an Accident? I mean--"
"I didn't stop to ask, Pooh. Even at the very bottom of the river I didn't stop to say to myself, 'Is this a Hearty Joke, or it is the Merest Accident?' I just floated to the surface, and said to myself, 'It's wet.' If you know what I mean."

It was going to be one of Rabbit's busy days. As soon as he woke up he felt important, as if everything depended upon him. It was just he day for Organizing Something, or for Writing a Notice Signed Rabbit, or for Seeing What Everybody Else Thought About It. It was a perfect morning for hurrying round to Pooh, and saying "Very well, then, I'll tell Piglet," and then going to Piglet, and saying, "Pooh thinks---but perhaps I'd better see Owl first." It was a Captainish sort of day, when everybody said, "Yes, Rabbit" and "No, Rabbit," and waited until he had told them.

Anyways, just a few of my favorite quotes :P

EDIT: Oh, and a few more. This one is one of the saddest, imho, from the last chapter/book. I actually got a bit teary when I read it for the first time, in a Velveteen Rabbit sort of way (that book never fails to get me ;)) ):

"Pooh!"
"Yes?" said Pooh.
"When I'm--when--Pooh!"
"Yes, Christopher Robin?"
"I'm not going to do Nothing any more."
"Never again?"
"Well, not so much. They don't let you."

Also, to whomever it was who asked about how to play Poohsticks (Kate, I think?), if you're playing it by yourself you throw to different sticks/pine cones into the river, just make sure you can tell them apart. You make a bet with yourself on which one will come out first, then run to the other side to see if you were right, if you are, you win, if not, you lose. Playing with others, you just see whose stick comes out first. :)

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Topic starter Posted : May 2, 2010 4:25 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Aww I love Winnie the Pooh. I think I read the book long ago, but I hope to read it soon, it has so many lovely lines, like this

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh," he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"

"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you."”

“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”

they just melt your heart :p .

Posted : May 2, 2010 4:37 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

"I'll give you three guesses, Rabbit. Digging holes in the ground? Wrong. Leaping from branch to branch of a young oak-tree? Wrong. Waiting for somebody to help me out of the river? Right. Give Rabbit time, and he'll always get the answer."

that is an awsome quote. I didn't realise how funny winnie pooh was.

Posted : May 2, 2010 10:32 pm
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)

IlF, I know! The books are so much wittier then I was expecting. Even if I had read them properly when I was a kid I don't think I'd have gotten half the jokes :P You should really check them out...they're full of hilarious bits like that. :D

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Topic starter Posted : May 3, 2010 4:55 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

If any graphic makers would make sigs using some of those Eeyore in the river quotes, I would use them. ;;) :D *hint hint, beg beg*

One of my favourite quotes is near the beginning of the stories.

...Winnie-the-Pooh lived in a forest all by himself under the name of Sanders.
"What does 'under the name' mean?" asked Christopher Robin.
"It means he had the name over the door in gold letters, and lived under it."
"Winnie-the-Pooh wasn't quite sure," said Christopher Robin.

More Eeyore:

"That Accounts for a Good Deal," said Eeyore gloomily. "It Explains Everything. No Wonder."
"You must have left it somewhere," said Winnie-the-Pooh.
"Somebody must have taken it," said Eeyore. "How like Them," he added, after a long silence.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : May 3, 2010 6:29 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

IlF, I know! The books are so much wittier then I was expecting. Even if I had read them properly when I was a kid I don't think I'd have gotten half the jokes :P You should really check them out...they're full of hilarious bits like that. :D

Lots of the jokes depend on sarcasm (especially from Eeyore), which kids mostly wouldn't get.
Or to puns that wouldn't be so easy to catch either.
The books certainly give entertainment to grown-ups as well.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : May 3, 2010 1:25 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

Yeah i read a lot of the books when i was younger and didn't really think there were jokes in them. Eeyore is actually the funniest now i think about it.

Posted : May 3, 2010 10:56 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

that is an awsome quote. I didn't realise how funny winnie pooh was.

Yes, definitely one of my favourite Eeyore ones!!

Now for part two of my happy memories of Winnie the Pooh:

I was thrilled to be cast as Piglet in a musical version of WTP, which included stories from both books. The cast were adults except for Roo, although I heard that plenty of audience thought I too was an able child! (no, just short!) I used a high voice and enjoyed discovering the value in being 'cute' on stage. Quite possibly my favourite role, and the nicest for audience sympathy at the moment when I burst the balloon (with a carefully hidden pin).
The show ran for two weeks to packed houses of children and adults. We had a great time. I now have some of the amateur video taken of the show, plus a full audio recording on cassette (must convert that to digital soon before it gets too old!).
I've read Christopher Milne's book "An Enchanted Place" which tells of his childhood and about his father, who captured the innocence of those years well, and reminded the reader that growing up is inevitable.
Dear A.A.Milne, thank you!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : May 4, 2010 12:01 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I used to read the books all the time! when I was 5 -6 years old, Pooh was my favorite buddy! :D
I saw one of the movies, but I mostly read the books.....

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : May 4, 2010 10:39 am
-eliza-
(@eliza)
NarniaWeb Regular

I've loved the books since I was six and I still love them. I really want to read them in English. I think Disney spoiled WtP! But I do love the drawings in the books :D They are lovely <3

Posted : May 6, 2010 11:29 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^they weren't good book adaptions, but as seperate movies i liked them :) .

Posted : May 6, 2010 12:50 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing the evening of Monday, May 17. For further Winnie-the-Pooh discussion, please see the Books thread, or any other thread that applies.

I have to quickly pipe in here and say I have always had a special fondness of Eeyore. He and Puddleglum could almost be twins with their pessimistic, yet very likable and loyal 'person'alities.

As for A.A. Milne's sense of humour, it is delightful. Every time I pick up one of the old 'Pooh' books, I'm always amazed at how humorous they are. Our family is really fortunate to have some of the original copies of the books from 1928. They belonged to my mom's family. :) They even have that wonderful old-book scent. The titles are:

When We Were Very Young
Now We Are Six
Winnie-The-Pooh
The House At Pooh Corner

The latter two are filled with those wonderful Hundred Acre Wood tales. The former two come to life with Milne's creative and fun poetry, such as some of my favourites/poems I grew up listening to my parents recite and read to us:

~Christopher Robin
~Rice Pudding
~Teddy Bear
~Lines and Squares
~Market Square
~The Christening
~Vespers
~Halfway Down
~Disobedience
*contented sigh* Such good memories with Milne. :)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : May 13, 2010 6:04 am
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)

Oh, better get this in before I forget!
I got a Winnie the Pooh calender for Christmas, filled with adorable illustrations from the books. You can see the pictures here:

... =772919061
You should be able to click on to the next pictures from that one...
I'm planning on saving the calender and getting some of the pages framed. :D

Topic starter Posted : May 13, 2010 6:28 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: