Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special Feature: Missoula Children's Theatre

narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

Has anyone ever done any Missoula Children’s Theatre (MCT) plays? MCT re-writes traditional fairy tales as musicals and gives them a different twist so more children can be in them. They send out teams of directors with the set, costumes, and scripts to different towns and cities all over the world. The directors audition children on Monday, rehearse all week, and put on a play on Saturday evening. It’s loads of fun.

Some questions to get us started:
How many MCT plays have you been in?

Which ones?

What part did you play (put the characters name and the background if it’s an unusual part)?

What was your favorite part of doing it (i.e.: rehearsals, performing, the music, etc.)?

How many MCT plays have you been in? 4

Which ones? Hansel and Gretal, Wiz of the West (Western version of the Wizard of Oz), Robinson Crusoe, and the Princess and the Pea
What part did you play (put the characters name and the background if it’s an unusual part)?In Hansel and Gretal, I played a new camper. The new campers were people that the witch kidnaps. In Wiz of the West, I played Dotty (Dorothy). That was my favorite year because I was the lead. In Robinson Crusoe, I played Thursday. Thursday was one of Friday's siblings. There were six of Friday's siblings (guess the rest of their names?) and they acted as narrators and did a bunch of different stuff. In the Princess and the Pea, I was Splash the River Runner and a Phony Princess. Splash was a citizen in Riverdom (the kingdom that the Princess is from). The Phony Princess was a girl who tried to get the prince's attention. That was the most fun ever!!!! Because I'm all, "Hiiiii, I like you. You're so cute. *giggle* I love you!! *twirl hair* *flirt more* *smile* etc. I'm not a flirt at all and playing one was so much fun!

What was your favorite part of doing it (i.e.: rehearsals, performing, the music, etc.)? I liked everything. The entire thing was fun.

Okay, lets start discussing!

Topic starter Posted : April 29, 2010 8:38 am
Destined-To-Reign
(@destined-to-reign)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Yup, I've been in a few MCT plays! :D I've been meaning to come post in here ever since I saw the topic, but I've just now found the time.

How many MCT plays have I been in? Three.

Which ones? Robin Hood, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid.

I got to play Maid Marion in Robin Hood and the Little Mermaid in the play of the same name, but I got to be a common beggar in Cinderella. ;))

I loved pretty much everything about the plays. Rehearsal was fun, the actual performances were a blast, and I also loved the friendships I made during the loooong week. My first one was Robin Hood, and as it was also my first play, I was thrilled and amazed to get the lead female role. It was a stupid role, yes, and I wasn't very good at it, but I still had a great time. ;)) I was in Cinderella after that, and initially I was disappointed at not getting a bigger part-but I still had a great time. I think I made the most friends that time around. Then The Little Mermaid was my last one, and I finished up my MCT career playing the lead role! I had a wonderful time. :D

I'll have to say, one of my least favorite things about MCT is the music. And the corny story lines. But I didn't really notice that until I was older anyway, so it's all good. ;)

Julie, while I didn't audition for Robinson Crusoe, my younger brother and sister did, and they had a great time in it. :D My brother was either Tuesday or Thursday, and my sister was one of the indian tribe or whatever. ;))

:)

Posted : May 3, 2010 5:31 pm
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

Robin Hood, Cinderella,

I'll have to say, one of my least favorite things about MCT is the music. And the corny story lines. But I didn't really notice that until I was older anyway, so it's all good.

:)

They've done both Robin Hood and Cinderella here. I was gone while they did Robin Hood and I think my parents didn't know about it when they did Cinderella. They've also had Jack and the Beanstalk and the Jungle Book here. I don't know if I'm forgetting any. I've been in four plus those two and the two you mentioned equals eight and this year was the tenth time MCT has come here so I'm forgetting two but I don't know which they are.

yea, the story lines are a bit corny. And also the whole, "The bad guys aren't really bad they're just misunderstood and we can all be friends." thing is kinda corny.

I like most of the music but yes, some of them are horrid. There was one line in a song where you put your arms around everyone and sang, "So leeeeeeets be frieeeeeeends" and we all agreed they were scraping the bottom of the bucket for that song.

Topic starter Posted : May 3, 2010 6:57 pm
Destined-To-Reign
(@destined-to-reign)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Wow, that's cool that MCT has come to your town 10 times. Robin Hood was the first time that MCT game to our town ('07?), and we were so excited about it. It was also our first play. ;))

Besides doing the ones in "our" town, after we got hooked we also did a couple in a neighboring town. ;))

Another thing I've noticed about the music they use is that they don't always have tunes that are easy to follow. Either that or-our directors just couldn't really carry a tune. And some of them could NOT. :P ;)) They were always awesome people though. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention, my brother got to be Jack in Jack and the Beanstalk last fall. Some of the parts of the play were pretty nifty, but other parts . . . struggled a bit. I wasn't too impressed. Do you have a favorite plotline of the MCT plays you've been in/seen? I think I actually liked The Little Mermaid best.

Posted : May 6, 2010 6:40 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing on Thursday evening, May 13. For further discussion, see the Acting and Live Theatre thread. Thanks! :)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : May 11, 2010 5:36 am
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

Another thing I've noticed about the music they use is that they don't always have tunes that are easy to follow. Either that or-our directors just couldn't really carry a tune. And some of them could NOT. :P ;)) They were always awesome people though. :D

Do you have a favorite plotline of the MCT plays you've been in/seen?

In the ones I've been in, the directors have always been able to carry a tune and sing pretty well. There was one director who couldn't sing the highest note in one of the songs in Wiz of the West put then, neither could anyone else. :p

I think my favorite plotline was Wiz of the West. Princess and the Pea was .... not the greatest. It was really confusing and was probably the worst one I've ever done. The other three I've been in were all pretty good.

Topic starter Posted : May 11, 2010 6:31 am
Share: