Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Welcome to Forum 3.0 — FAQ, Feedback, & Questions

Page 1 / 3
dryadmin
(@dryadmin)
The Tech Support Dryad Admin

Welcome to NarniaWeb Forum 3.0!

Hope this isn't too much of a shock to our members and readers who may have missed the announcement, but we're FINALLY up and running! Grin (If anyone is prepared to suddenly find themselves in a new world, or forum, it's Chronicles of Narnia fans. Wink ) This project has been over a year in the making, with a lot of twists and turns along the way, but we are proud to finally announce NarniaWeb Forum's newest chapter. Smile

This is a thread for users to share feedback, ask questions, and report any glitches.

Some highlights and need-to-knows:

Haven't recovered your account yet?

Go to the log-in page, click on the Lost your password? link, and fill out the form. This will send you an email with a link to create a new password so you can access your old account. If you no longer have access to the email associated with your forum account, please email fantasia[at]narniaweb.com or therosetreedryad[at]narniaweb.com.

It's a fresh coat of paint.

All of the users, topics, and posts on Forum 2.0 were migrated to Forum 3.0 on May 25th, 2020. This means that anything posted after 12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, May 26th, was not migrated to the new forum.

Some discussions were re-posted as quotes to continue the flow of conversation, and in other cases, section moderators will link back to the last page of the discussion in the Forum 2.0 archive. If your post/thread was posted in the last few days and doesn't have any responses yet, feel free to copy and re-post it!

Note: things like private messages and avatars did NOT transfer during the migration.

New features!

You can now Like posts and tag people, e.g. @dryadmin. When someone Likes one of your posts, or tags or quotes you, you'll get a notification through the handy Notification Bell. You'll also be notified when someone posts in a thread that you created.

You can also embed content like YouTube videos, Tweets, and posts from Instagram and Facebook.

And did we mention the new forum is mobile-friendly? Dancing

The post counts of pre-2009 forum accounts are lower.

If you originally joined the forum before September 2009, you'll find that the number of posts you had from the very first forum did not migrate, because those posts didn't actually exist on Forum 2.0 and therefore couldn't be transferred.

Post count cannot be manually changed, but if you're a pre-2009 member and would like your Member Reputation (e.g. NarniaWeb Nut, NarniaWeb Junkie) to reflect your actual number of total posts, please check your post count on the archived forum and post both your Forum 2.0 and Forum 3.0 post counts in this thread. An admin will then adjust your ranking. NOTE: If your rank has been manually adjusted, you will need to notify an admin each time you level up.

Want to update your avatar, signature, and profile?

Click on My Profile in the menu bar, and then select Account from the drop-down.

"Where are the old smileys?!" Crying

While : ) and : P (no spaces) will automatically convert to Emojis, the beloved YIM-based smileys from Forum 2.0 are still available to use! Grin Just click on the smiley face in the lower right-hand corner of the posting box and select the one you want to use, or learn the new codes in this thread.

If you'd rather choose from our assortment of Emojis, click on the smiley face in the posting toolbar.

"Can I still log into the old forum to copy/save my old private messages?"

Yes! We will let you know if this changes. Smile

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2020 10:27 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Anyone need some mood music while they explore the new digs? Grin

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2020 1:18 pm
Tarva and starkat liked
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @dryadmin

Want to update your avatar, signature, and profile?

Click on My Profile in the menu bar, and then select Account from the drop-down.

Hopefully, I'm quoting this right 😛

Can you post a screenshot of the menubar so I can see where it is?  I see a "My Profile" in the sidebar, but I can't click on it.

EDIT:  I found it can be accessed by clicking the gear icon under your profile picture on any of your own posts.

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2020 1:35 pm
dryadmin
(@dryadmin)
Posted by: @wolfloversk

Can you post a screenshot of the menubar so I can see where it is?  I see a "My Profile" in the sidebar, but I can't click on it.

Whoops, might need to change the name of that sidebar widget. Giggle

Here's the link on the menu bar, on the desktop version:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2020 1:44 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

@dryadmin Thank you!  Now I see that is where the Private Message system was too, I needed that.  Giggle   Thank you!

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2020 1:51 pm
dryadmin liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Thank you, Admins!

Post count archived forum: 16,090

Post count new forum: 8853

EDIT: Noting that the difference in posts is 7,237 . Pig

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 8:42 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

Thank you Admins!

Post Count Archived forum: 15,008

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 9:03 am
Wunderkind_Lucy
(@wunderkind_lucy)
A Magnet for All Kinds of Deeper Wunderment Hospitality Committee

Thank you, admins!

Post count archived forum: 2,992

Post count new forum: 1,689

EDIT: Note to self: the difference in posts is 1,303. Giggle  

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts." ~ C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Forum 1.0: 1303 posts
WC: 42

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 9:21 am
johobbit
(@jo)

Is there a way to preview our PMs before we send them? Maybe it's in front of my eyes, but if so, I'm missing it. Tongue  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 9:54 am
dryadmin
(@dryadmin)

@johobbit and @starkat, your member reputations have been upgraded to NarniaWeb Luminary. Star

@wunderkind_lucy, your member reputation has been upgraded to NarniaWeb Fanatic. Applause

Make a note of the difference between your old post count and your new post count so you can calculate your number of posts in the future! And when you cross over to a higher level, message @dryadmin or @fantasia and we'll manually adjust your reputation again. Smile

Posted by: @johobbit

Is there a way to preview our PMs before we send them? Maybe it's in front of my eyes, but if so, I'm missing it. Tongue

I'm missing it, too — as in, it's a feature I want. Tongue The forum developers just added the post preview function a few months ago, so I am hoping that they will incorporate private message preview in a future update as well. Quite likely that they will at some point, imo; I will definitely mention it when I give feedback. Smile

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 8, 2020 10:26 am
johobbit
(@jo)

Thank you, Rose! And for the heads up about crossover to the next level.

Ahh, all righty. Giggle Hoping they will add that feature sooner than later. Thanks!

Is the only way to link to something in a post by showing the entire link? Can we not embed the url in a word or a phrase? (I am not even sure if that is the correct terminology, so let me know if I am only being confusing. Tongue )

Oh, is there any way of having the post itself be present in the email notification, instead of just receiving the statement that someone has posted?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 11:28 am
Wunderkind_Lucy
(@wunderkind_lucy)
A Magnet for All Kinds of Deeper Wunderment Hospitality Committee

About the links, yes, you can, Jo.

I hope it's okay that I'm answering this, Rose.

You would use the following code without the stars and place the URL in between the quotes: <*a href="URL here">word here<*/a>.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts." ~ C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Forum 1.0: 1303 posts
WC: 42

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 11:32 am
dryadmin
(@dryadmin)

Thumbs up on the HTML coding! @wunderkind_lucy Grin FYI everybody, if you're familiar with HTML code, you can write it into your post instead of clicking the buttons. <*em>For adding italics<*/em>, for instance.

The most user-friendly method of displaying the URL of a link, though, is clicking on the Insert/Edit Link button on the toolbar. @johobbit Smile This will cause a window to come up where you'll want to paste the link into both the fields marked URL and Link Text, which will then result in a link like this:

https://community.narniaweb.com/index.php/community/the-spare-oom/welcome-to-narniaweb-forum-3-0-faq-feedback-questions/

Posted by: @johobbit

Oh, is there any way of having the post itself be present in the email notification, instead of just receiving the statement that someone has posted?

Not at this time, but I checked and the developers have said recently that they will include this in a future update. Smile

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 8, 2020 11:52 am
johobbit
(@jo)

Excellent to all that. Thank you to you both, Wunder and Rose!

This can all seem overwhelming (after all, I'm not young anymore LOL ) but one step at a time. Soon enough it will be 'old hat', as happened when we moved from forum 1 to forum 2. 🙂
So appreciate everyone's ready assistance, that's for sure. Hug

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 12:20 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Archived forum post count: 22,030

New forum post count: 7120

Difference: 14,910

Thanks!

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 12:41 pm
dryadmin liked
Page 1 / 3
Share: