Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien

Page 2 / 108
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

Kind of a side note. I tried reading Simarillion or however its spelt and was lost after the first 10 pages. May be just my opinion but I would say that LOTR is easier reading.

LotR is definitely easier reading. The gallery of characters is less confusing, and the style of writing is more modern.

I flicked through the Silmarillion when it first came in the bookshops (back in 1977), but it didn't catch my interest enough to make me buy it. I much preferred LotR.

I bought the Silmarillion later, though - much later. And now I love it - or at least I love great parts of it. But it took me years to work up an interest for it. I've read it a few times, but not as many times as LotR.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : September 6, 2009 5:52 am
Aslans_Jewel
(@aslans_jewel)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I have just finished the first lord of the rings book. Do you think i should read the hobbit now or after i finish reading the other 2 books?

You should definitely finish the other 2 books before reading the Hobbit because of the huge cliff-hangers, they just drive me nuts! If you try reading the hobbit in between books, you'll lose your place and get all messed up in the story...I hate it when that happens!

no longer active. every once in a while ill pop back for the memories. good to see a few recognizable names 🙂

Posted : September 6, 2009 8:33 am
Narnia93
(@narnia93)
NarniaWeb Regular

LotR is definitely easier reading. The gallery of characters is less confusing, and the style of writing is more modern.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I'll have to try again someday though. ;)

Narnia93 - "It is hard for you, little one," said Aslan. "But things never happen the same way twice."

Posted : September 7, 2009 12:59 am
Narnia93
(@narnia93)
NarniaWeb Regular

I have just finished the first lord of the rings book. Do you think i should read the hobbit now or after i finish reading the other 2 books?

Definately! There are quite a few of your questions that will be answered through the hobbit.

Narnia93 - "It is hard for you, little one," said Aslan. "But things never happen the same way twice."

Posted : September 7, 2009 1:00 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

Ok since most you you have said read the other 2 lotr books first i will.

Posted : September 7, 2009 3:22 am
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

I was really excited to find out this weekend that Turbine is releasing another huge update to Lord of the Rings Online! It's called the Siege of Mirkwood and involves the battle to drive the forces of evil out of Mirkwood. I'm wondering if they'll include Galadriel throwing down the walls of Dol Guldur? :D

Posted : September 7, 2009 8:36 am
Aslans_Jewel
(@aslans_jewel)
NarniaWeb Junkie

that sounds really cool, Booky, i wish I had the time and money for LOTRO, maybe college? XD

no longer active. every once in a while ill pop back for the memories. good to see a few recognizable names 🙂

Posted : September 7, 2009 8:59 am
Erucenindë
(@eruceninde)
NarniaWeb Nut

ya that always made me mad that you have to pay for LOTRO. X( what about poor kids like me who are obessessed with LOTR but cant play it b/c their parents wont pay for it either? :((

lol ;) it does look very well done and very interesting. Anyone here play it? what do you think about it?

My Graphics Site

Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya

Posted : September 7, 2009 2:11 pm
Aslans_Jewel
(@aslans_jewel)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I know Eruce, I cant afford it and my parents cant afford it, If I could afford it or it was free, I would be on it instead of here all the time, but since its not im here and :xing it!

Posted : September 7, 2009 3:40 pm
mar_girl
(@mar_girl)
NarniaWeb Regular

I read and loved The Hobbit when I was younger... perhaps eight? Maybe somewhat older, but I was a kid. ;) I read LOTR this summer. Phenomenal books. I watched FOTR and TTT a few weeks afterwards (checking them out of the library), and I still need to watch ROTK. My brother was the one watching them with me, and he's away at college now, so we'll see when I'll watch that. Maybe over the weekend when he visits.
I also started reading The Letters of J.R.R Tolkien, but I've... stopped. It's rather dry going. I just keep finding more interesting books to read!

Hey, I saw Here There Be Dragons at Barnes and Noble. Anyone read those?

Sig by lysander
Queen of Literary Linkage
Aslan: the Chuck Norris of Narnia.

Posted : September 7, 2009 8:49 pm
Amira Tair
(@amira-tair)
NarniaWeb Regular

Mar_girl, do you mean the novel by James A. Owen? I have started to read it but got a bit stuck. The idea is very good - in fact, I find the idea of an Imaginarium Geographica absolutely fascinating - but I'm not so sure about the outcome. I think it could be better written: in my opinion it is a bit too aimed at young readers - too fast paced, not deep enough with some characters or situations, and with a lot of winks at Tolkien and Lewis readers - some better than other. On a more positive note it is quite visual and cinematic - in fact, it seems more the film adaptation than the original novel.
But I would really suggest you to read it, it is quite entertaining. It's only that my expectations were higher and I think he could have done better. But it is worth a try, at least for Tolkien and Lewis fans.
I will let you know when I finish it, in case my opinion about has changed.

I am currently reading The Children of Hurin - although have not made much progress with it as the books are piling up a bit :-s , but so far I am enjoying it, especially the foray into another period of Middle Earth history.
And I am now the proud owner of The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun and a special edition of The Lord of the Rings, both in English. Finally I will be able to read the original Tolkien!

Posted : September 7, 2009 10:09 pm
JadistarkilleR
(@jadistarkiller)
NarniaWeb Regular

well since you already started with FOTR, you might as well continue it into TTT and then ROTK. to stop now and jump to the The Hobbit means that you'll have to restart FOTR, because trust me after reading the Hobbit you're gonna forget key elements in FOTR that you'll get confused about in TTT.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.

Posted : September 7, 2009 11:09 pm
sillygoose
(@sillygoose)
NarniaWeb Nut

I am IN LOVE with the lotr movies now and i am also IN LOVE with the books. I took the advice you gave me aslan's jewel and read the books over again. I read the second book before the first because i'm just like that so i'm like half way done with the second book but in the second chapter of the first book. Confusing isn't it? lol but anyway I'm enjoying both books so far and I'm considering that the movie makers did a very fine job interpretating the LOTR movies. No offense to the narnia movie makers, but they better step up a notch if they want to be able to even start compare. A little off topic, i know.

and btw Return of the King is an AMAZING movie!! It's definitly worth to watch and soooo much better than the first two.

Team Edward and Team Jacob are overrated. I'm Team Avatar!

Find me on Tumblr!
http://inside-the-mind-of-a-nerddess.tumblr.com/

Avvie by Rising_Star

Posted : September 8, 2009 3:14 pm
Aslans_Jewel
(@aslans_jewel)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Your Welcome, Sillygoose, Im glad I could help!

Im hoping my school library will have the Sil, since it sounds like a really high level book, and im only in 8th grade, and thats the highest level they have in my library besides some really easy 9th grade books for the people who get kept back ;)

Posted : September 8, 2009 4:32 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

mar_girl, do let us know what you think of RotK. Some parts of it I love; other parts I cringe at. :p Did you see the Extended Editions of the first two?

Funny, I really love the Tolkien letters. Some are long and hard to get through (what a mind he had!), but many are fascinating and whoa, what a sense of humour! I've read my copy so much it is literally falling apart, and I need to purchase a hard cover for my next copy, instead of a paperback.

Yes, I've read Here There Be Dragons. Interesting and exciting story, although ... but wait! do you know the surprise at the end? I'd better shut my lips for now. :-$

Well, the reason I originally popped on here to post was this great news! :D The Hobbit films can go forward unhindered. :D/

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Topic starter Posted : September 8, 2009 4:38 pm
Page 2 / 108
Share: