Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien

Page 1 / 108
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Tolkien and hobbits have become household names over the decades. They are such on NarniaWeb, as well. :) And given the fact that Lewis and Tolkien were good friends for many years, this is very apropos.

So, pull up a comfy chair in front of the roaring fire in this cozy hobbit hole, grab a pint of your favourite drink, pass around the mushrooms, and enjoy an ongoing discussion of JRRT's brilliant works and interesting life, including the many adaptations made, such as the audio dramas and the forthcoming movies surrounding The Hobbit, as well as PJ's famous films.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2009 11:45 am
Erucenindë
(@eruceninde)
NarniaWeb Nut

Just posting to have posted once in the New NW... :p

To anyone who knows about the deal with the lawsuit, there had been some rumor concerning whether or not The Hobbit would be safe from this. Well, it is, folks, so take a deep breath and relax. :D

My Graphics Site

Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya

Posted : September 4, 2009 2:30 am
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Well, with the Hobbit film coming up next year, it'd be a good time for people who've never read Tolkien's work to give it a try. Definitely read The Hobbit first, otherwise you'll go into the sequel mistaking Hobbits for simply short Men. If you're more an audiobook fan, Rob Inglis does an excellent narration; in fact, check it out even if you haven't tried audiobooks before.

And since the thread was begun by a certain Hobbity mod, here's a fun fact that our very own johobbit is on the editorial staff of an excellent journal called Silver Leaves, a publication of the White Tree Fund. Fans of Tolkien (and Lewis) would find it very enjoyable.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

Posted : September 4, 2009 11:07 am
Horse_Lover
(@horse_lover)
NarniaWeb Nut

I just finished The Hobbit. :D It was quite enjoyable, though it took a long time to get to the real story, but I enjoyed it besides that. :)

Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!

Posted : September 4, 2009 12:12 pm
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)
Member Moderator Emeritus

If you're more an audiobook fan, Rob Inglis does an excellent narration; in fact, check it out even if you haven't tried audiobooks before.

I'm glad to hear it! I'm a recent convert to audiobooks (I now have a long commute to work eahc day and needed something to while away the time), and I'm planning on starting Inglis' reading of The Lord of the Rings in September. That is the version readily available at my library.

Have you heard any other audiobook versions that you would recommend?

*is getting excited for Hobbit Day and her reread/listen* :D

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

Posted : September 5, 2009 5:34 am
pogginfan
(@pogginfan)
NarniaWeb Nut

I'm reading The Sil for the first time right now. :) Tolkien's use of words is beautiful! It really feels like I'm reading poetry, it flows so well. He's a brilliant writer. I'm also doing a re-read of The Hobbit right now which I'm really enjoying. :D

I've never listened to the audio books, but I really want to. I've been told they're really good. There's an unabridged reading version, and a radio drama, right? Those are the only two I've ever heard of. Hopefully my library will have one of them...I really want to listen to them. :D

Avy by ValiantArcher, sig by hyaline12. Thank you!

Posted : September 5, 2009 6:31 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I'm rereading Lord of the Rings these days. It's my first proper rereading of it after I watched the movies. I've started and got as far as to The Council of Elrond a couple of times - but this time I've kept at it, and Pippin has just got his uniform as Guard of the Citadel at Minas Tirith, and Merry is riding with the Riders of Rohan under Dernhelm's cloak.

I reread The Hobbit earlier this year, in a new translation into Norwegian - a beautiful poetical one, which made me decide to buy the LotR translation as well. So when I've finished the English rereading, I'll do another one in Norwegian ;)

After that, I should read The Silmarillion again as well. I've role-played the descendants of Finwë enough now to remember who's who ...

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : September 5, 2009 8:30 am
Erucenindë
(@eruceninde)
NarniaWeb Nut

I've never listened to any audiobooks. they are not my thing... i like to read a book lol.

I need to reread LOTR. it's about that time again. :P

My Graphics Site

Posted : September 5, 2009 12:53 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Pogginfan, there are two audio drama versions that I know of: BBC and Mind's Eye. I've heard a bit of the BBC FotR and as I recall, I thought there was too much narration. I've only found the Mind's Eye version of TT, and while it has its laughable moments, I liked their casting and script choices. :)

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : September 5, 2009 12:59 pm
Aslans_Jewel
(@aslans_jewel)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Im checking The Sil out on wednesday when I get to go the library, Im also nearing the end of FotR, im at the part where the Fellowship has a feast with Galadriel and Celeborn before they leave Lothlorien

no longer active. every once in a while ill pop back for the memories. good to see a few recognizable names 🙂

Posted : September 5, 2009 3:50 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I can't wait to see the hobbit but i think i will read the book before the movie comes out.

Posted : September 5, 2009 8:06 pm
Narnia93
(@narnia93)
NarniaWeb Regular

The Hobbit I think is a must if you are even thinking about reading LOTR. I read LOTR first and then the hobbit. By reading the hobbit, I answered many of my former questions. I also thing that the hobbit is and easier read so anyone who is discouraged by LOTR should definately read the Hobbit first and then LOTR will seem easier because of all the background knowledge refered to in the Hobbit. The movie will hopefully cover all of the knowledge gained through reading because otherwise people who don't read and just watch the movies will have the same questions I had reading LOTR the first time.
Kind of a side note. I tried reading Simarillion or however its spelt and was lost after the first 10 pages. May be just my opinion but I would say that LOTR is easier reading.

Narnia93 - "It is hard for you, little one," said Aslan. "But things never happen the same way twice."

Posted : September 6, 2009 1:26 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have just finished the first lord of the rings book. Do you think i should read the hobbit now or after i finish reading the other 2 books?

Posted : September 6, 2009 1:32 am
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have just finished the first lord of the rings book. Do you think i should read the hobbit now or after i finish reading the other 2 books?

it would have been best to read The Hobbit before any of the LOTR books as it was written first. Story wise it's a kid story, but it explains quite a few things of LOTR, (but the important details you should have gotten in the council at Elrond's house already). As it is, I atleast, recommend that you follow up with the other two LOTR books and then read The Hobbit.

Well, with the Hobbit film coming up next year...

FYI, just in case you all didn't know already.
It's not releasing next year, but said to begin filming next year.
It's release is currently for 2011 which gives people and extra year to read it if they already haven't.

Posted : September 6, 2009 2:50 am
Erucenindë
(@eruceninde)
NarniaWeb Nut

I read the Hobbit afterward. I can't say LOTR was confusing for me because I hadn't read it, but I did have a few questions that were answered because of reading it.

I think you should just finish LOTR then read The Hobbit. :)

My Graphics Site

Posted : September 6, 2009 3:33 am
Page 1 / 108
Share: