Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special Feature: TobyMac

Page 1 / 5
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

TobyMac is a GRAMMY-award winning artist. He is a former member of the extremely popular band DC Talk. TMac's has 4 CDs of his own released

---Momentum (2001)
---Welcome to Divere City (2004)
---Portable Sounds (2007)
---Tonight (2010)

He also has two remix albums

---Re:Mix Momentum
---Renovating Diverse City

and a live album

---Alive and Transported

Discuss!

Topic starter Posted : March 17, 2010 4:22 pm
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

As far as his days with DC Talk,
I only like three of their songs, one of which I love- Jesus Freak naturally.

his own:
he has quite a few songs I enjoy. I really like Irene and Do You Know. Burn For You was the first one I really loved though. Diverse City was the first I disliked, except for one portion of it. Gone is pretty good as well.

Portable Sounds is my favorite CD of his with many great songs:
Made to Love, One World, Lose my Soul among others.

I love the song he did for the music inspired by narnia: New World.

His latest Cd I am really liking so far.
City on Our Knees is still the one I love the most on the it. But there are several others i really got the feel for:

Tonight, Funky Jesus Music, Wonderin', and Start Somewhere.
I haven't really listened to the others in the Cd to well to comment on.

Posted : March 17, 2010 5:47 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

lol there is an ad for TMac's new CD on the sidebar ;))

I don't dislike any of his stuff. My faves would be

Gone
Burn For You
Atmosphere (remix)
Whoopsidaisy (catchafire)
Tonight
Wonderin'
Suddenly
One World
I'm For You
Made to Love
Ordinary Love
Diverse City

etc...there are more I'm not thinking of at the moment :p . My fave CD would be Tonight, it's so awesome :D !

Topic starter Posted : March 17, 2010 6:04 pm
hyaline12
(@hyaline12)
NarniaWeb Nut

I always surprise myself by how much I like TobyMac, since I don't listen to anything else like him. I have Portable Sounds, Alive & Transported and Tonight. I listened to Diverse City a long time ago and I remember liking it, but I haven't heard Momentum.

My favourite song in the world ever is Gone. It was the first song I heard by him and I have since destroyed it for a few people with the help of my stereo's 'repeat' button. But I haven't gotten tired of it yet. ;)

My second favourite is Feelin' So Fly. It's the kind of song that always makes me a little happier just for listening to it.

Some of my other favourites are Irene, Gotta Go, Wonderin' (Matt Thiessen, yay!) and the entirety of Portable Sounds. I also like In the Light and Love is in the House from Alive & Transported, and I actually had never heard Jesus Freak until I listened to that CD.

My favourite album is Portable Sounds. I loved it when it first came out, and to this day it's one of my favourite albums ever.

My LJ!

Posted : March 18, 2010 7:47 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I am addicted to T-mac's newest CD "Tonight"!

I own

Welcome To Diverse City
Portable Sounds
Tonight

I need to get Momentum and Alive And Transported!

my favorite Tobymac songs are:

Tonight
Showstopper
Funky Jesus Music
Boomin'
Lose My Soul
Diverse City
Loud'N'Clear (Trudog 10)
Break Open The Sky
Hey Devil
Feelin' So Fly

I have seen Tobymac live in concert 4 times!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : March 18, 2010 9:42 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I always surprise myself by how much I like TobyMac, since I don't listen to anything else like him.

me too! He's the closest thing to rap I listen to :p

Topic starter Posted : March 18, 2010 11:52 am
narnialover4
(@narnialover4)
NarniaWeb Nut

I love TobyMac! My favorite CD of his is probably Momentum. I love the song Jesus Freak from when he was in DC Talk :)

"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"

Posted : March 18, 2010 12:02 pm
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have seen Tobymac live in concert 4 times!

I saw him in concert one time.

Posted : March 18, 2010 12:08 pm
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Despite what a lot of people say, he's not quite exclusively rap. I appreciate how the band likes to venture to different styles of music instead of just doing one. (And how he doesn't drastically change his genre of music, like another band which used to be a favourite.)

For my favourite songs, pretty much all the ones mentioned here--his more popular ones. But there are a few not so known ones which I really love. :)

And for the record, TobyMac so made Wonderin' amazing. Matty T's vocals were exceptional, but TobyMac really made it have that beat. ;)

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : March 18, 2010 1:24 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^no it was Matty T :p

I love how he changes his styles too. He has so much diversity from song to song, it's so cool :D

Topic starter Posted : March 18, 2010 2:13 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

I Love TobyMac! :D He is my favorite artist! ;) I first started listening to TobyMac in 2004 and haven’t stopped listening since! :p I Love DC Talk also!

I own:
Momentum
Diverse City
Portable Sounds
Tonight

My Favorite Songs are:

Get the Party Started
Yours
Catchafire (Whoopsi-Daisy)
The Slam
Gone
Burn for You
Phenomenon
Made to Love
Boomin
Ignition
No Ordinary Love
Tonight
Funky Jesus Music
City on Our Knees
Hey Devil
Captured

Basically All of Them! :D ;) :p

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

Posted : March 18, 2010 2:33 pm
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^no it was Matty T :P

I beg to differ, but I'll be nice and quiet. ;;) Not that Matty T wasn't good in it, I just think that TobyMac really brought it home-- but it might just be that I like his voice and pronunciation better than the former.

Yes, it's certainly enjoyable to hear variety of genres when listening to either of his albums.

To name favourite songs, (to make this post less scanty, lol ), I can't really decide on which is my favourite. However, there was one song on Tonight I wasn't particularly keen on. It wasn't terrible, but you know, it just wasn't something I'd like. ;))

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : March 18, 2010 3:26 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

but it might just be that I like his voice and pronunciation better than the former

jk ;)

which song didn't you like? I don't really like Hey Devil...

Topic starter Posted : March 18, 2010 3:35 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

I just have to pipe in here. Waaay back when I became a rather large dcTalk fan, and have collected every one of their albums over the years. Anyone remember "Heaven Bound" from their very first album (self-titled in 1989)? ;)) Whoa, McKeehan, Tait, and Max Smith look sooo young then ... as I guess they were. ;) Interesting that Toby has come full circle in terms of his musical style (rap/hip-hop influence). My two favourite dcTalk albums would "Jesus Freak" and "Supernatural".

I was quite disappointed when the band split up to pursue solo projects, but I have since come to appreciate each member's ventures, 'though I have to admit I like Kevin Max's the least; Tait is in the middle, and TobyMac is definitely tops. Having purchased all his albums, I still like his first, "Momentum", the best.

It's hard to believe Toby will be 50 in a four years: he has abundant energy! Btw, working part-time at a Christian book/music store has its perks: I had the privilege of meeting Toby backstage a few years ago and what a gentle-spoken, gracious person. It's hard to believe this is the same guy on and off stage! Yet he really is a fabulous performer ... and one who loves God with all his heart. :)

I'm not sure if I'm the only 50 year old who likes him or not ... ;))

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : March 18, 2010 4:16 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

^wait what?! He's 46?! I knew he was old, but not that old! :p Aaah well he still looks and preforms young ;) .

I think it's cool that you're 50 and like TMac. Most adults don't like very good music :p . I don't like Kevin Mac's solo stuff very much...really not at all. Tait's only ok. I think he ruined Newsboys (sorry!). TMac has definitely done the best so far... :D

Topic starter Posted : March 18, 2010 4:36 pm
Page 1 / 5
Share: