Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Sense and Silliness: All things Austen

Page 3 / 6
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Thanks for the info on Death Comes to Pemberly, 220. I didn't know it was a murder mystery. How interesting when people try to mix genres with Jane Austen characters...

I'm currently rereading Pride and Prejudice in anticipation of seeing the 1940's version. Maybe it's just because I just saw the 2005 version but I'm appreciating the film a bit more now. One of my complaints about 2005 is how rushed it feels, despite managing to capture the droll humor of some of the characters--but the book itself is galloping on from plot point to plot point with little introspection. I'm half-tempted to wonder if I accidentally picked up an abridged version or if reading on my phone just gives it a very different 'feel' than paper and ink. :p

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : August 14, 2014 5:13 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Mel: you're welcome. I've now read 70% of Death Comes to Pemberley. I don't mind the murder mystery aspect, since I've read the Holmes canon (and there's a thread on him here, if you haven't already visited it ;) ). My problem is that this book fails as both a (1) P&P sequel and a (2) murder mystery.

1. The author puts speeches in the characters' mouths, but they don't seem authentic. It's like she's moving puppets on a stage. Austen's novels and the better fan-made sequels aren't like that. The characters live.
2. I kept asking myself questions with each new clue, but the main characters and police never followed them up. I got as far as a deathbed confession before I quit reading, which felt like a deux es machina. It was ridiculous.

1940: although it left out subplots and changed the ending somewhat, I liked that the film was humorous. It ended on an encouraging note for the Bennets and Lady Catherine. Unlike the book, the final scenes had little angst.

2005: I'm surprised it followed the book, since it was so short (compared to the 4.5-hour 1995 film). This film did feel a little rushed, but it's not why I prefer the 1995 version. The latter is better in casting and tone (which should be neoclassical rather than romantic).

Posted : August 14, 2014 9:27 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

While my favorite adaption is the 1995, the Lizzie Bennet Diaries was a very good modern adaption. I've seen clips of the 1940 and 1980 versions; parts of the 1940 version were hilarious, though not particularly book-like, and the acting/casting from the 1980 did not appeal to me in the slightest.

Emma Approved -- it's okay, but definitely not as good as LBD. I'm curious to see what the company is going to do next, though. More Jane Austen or are they going to cast their net a little wider?

I really enjoyed The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Maybe even more so than I enjoyed the original novel. However, I can't stand Emma Approved. It all seems so... fake and cardboard.

As for their next project, it's non-Austen. They're adapting Frankenstein.

~Izzy =:)

Posted : August 15, 2014 8:11 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

I finished Death Comes to Pemberley last night. My opinion is unchanged and hundreds of Amazon reviewers agree with me. I've never seen as many 1- and 2-star ratings as this book got. So why did some critics rate it so highly? :-s

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Comes-Pembe ... 307950654/

Lizzie Bennet Diaries: I'm hesitant about modern adaptations, since I didn't like Bridget Jones' Diary (book and film), but I'm willing to give this book a try. And I did like Clueless (Emma). :)

Posted : August 15, 2014 8:37 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

I downloaded three P&P-inspired novels yesterday.

Darcy and Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberley (2006) by Linda Berdoll is a sequel. I read a few chapters and quit. This novel is an insult to Jane Austen and to the Regency era! Don't waste your time. Darcy’s Story (2005) by Janet Aylmer is a much better work, a decent rewriting of P&P from Darcy’s point of view that I enjoy reading. I haven’t started Mr. Darcy’s Diary (2007) by Amanda Grange yet. But the Amazon reviews look pretty good. :)

Posted : August 16, 2014 8:28 am
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I don't usually go in for sequels to older literature, but my wife picked up a couple of Pride and Prejudice sequels/alternative tellings the other day. I think they're meant to be mystery with a bit of paranormal stuff thrown in. They're called Pride and Prescience and Suspense and Sensibility, but they both follow the Darcys so I suspect the second one is simply a sequel that took advantage of another Austen title. We'll see hoe they are.

I'm still working my way through S&S. I've reached the end of Volume II and am somewhere early on in Volume III (a chapter in the late 30s or so, I think). This section has been a bit more exciting, since most of the plot has been very clear and centered. I'm trying to figure out how/if a certain conflict is going to resolve itself.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

Posted : August 16, 2014 4:07 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

shastastwin: I haven't heard those titles, but now I'm curious. I hope they're nothing like P&P and Zombies, which I've avoided because of the title. I don't like science fiction. :P But I hope you're enjoying S&S! It grew on me in part 2. :)

I finished Mr. Darcy’s Diary and Darcy’s Story yesterday. I was shocked at the good Amazon reviews for the first novel. Its breezy style doesn’t match Austen’s book or Darcy’s personality. Darcy’s Story is much better written, an authentic version of P&P from his point of view. With its serious tone and little dialogue, the novel matches Darcy’s personality too. So I highly recommend this book.

P&P ships: Some fan fiction pairs Georgiana with Colonel Fitzwilliam. Other stories pair him with Anne de Bourgh! I prefer Georgiana and the Colonel. ;;)

Posted : August 18, 2014 9:01 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I watched the 1940's P&P last night with Twigs. I had a great time, though maybe I'm being more generous in my expectations because this is 75 years old and I can't really go around demanding "What were you thinking?" and expect an answer. :p

Things I liked: Mr. and Mrs. Bennet had great comedic timing. I'd say it's worth watching for those parts alone.

Caroline Bingley--!!! <3 <3 <3 I never thought she'd be one of my favorite parts in any adaption, but for a snobbish, manipulating, elegant woman... look no further. Casting and costuming worked in her favor. (I think she managed to avoid the enormous sleeves 90% of the time, which might have helped. ;)) )

Elizabeth Bennet--maybe not outstanding, but very watchable.

Black and white filming. :) I love the look of the old films... the lighting and the carefully chosen textures and saturations.

Things to make one go "I, what--?": The choice for 1830's costumes... they're gorgeous in an over the top fashion as art sort of way once you become acclimated to the look... The best rational I can come up with is that the hair and makeup suit the style. (I'm having a really hard time mentally matching the long, slim, look of the 1810's with Elizabeth's make-up so maybe it was for the best...??? On the other hand, I'm sure they could have pulled it off with a different hairdo...)

Pemberly.

Spoiler
Oh, wait. There was no Pemberly.

Two key Elizabeth/Darcy scenes were condensed down to almost nothing, giving one no anticipation for them changing their minds over the course of the film.

Spoiler
The Assembly Ball is where we meet both Darcy and Wickham, thus serving to condense a large amount of the beginning. I like it as the individual scenes but not as a whole, I think... We get Bingley wanting Darcy to dance with Elizabeth and her outrage on the point and then immediately afterward Sir William is introducing Darcy to Elizabeth claiming Darcy wants to dance with her. Both are fine in and of themselves but there's no intermediary scene where Darcy takes a second look and changes his mind. :p

(Actually, he spends the entire movie obviously in love with her. I did like the entirely invented Elizabeth/Darcy scenes at the party which stood in for the Netherfield Ball. It suited their characters and moved the story along at the same time.)

Then, because of the choice to cut Pemberly entirely, there's a bit of plot jiggery-pokery (Rosings must be a lot closer to Longbourne in this version) and immediately after the first proposal we find out Lydia and Wickham have run away. Aaaaaaand there's Darcy to explain himself in person instead of sending a letter and letting Elizabeth mull things over for awhile. Instead, she's left with the impression that Wickham actually did run away with Georgiana and Darcy had to bring her back and hush things up (Maybe? Twigs, did you get that impression too or am I reading too much into it?) and apparently that tragic story is enough to convince her that he's a decent fellow underneath it all.

But wait... there's more. =)) The grand finale is everyone showing up at Longbourn--and I do mean everyone.

Spoiler
Elizabeth's line about Darcy being intrigued by her refusing to be intimidated by his reputation and daring to speak back is put in Darcy's mouth, and he's speaking of Lady Catherine's view of Elizabeth. Because Lady Catherine was deliberately sounding Elizabeth out for her dear nephew... :-o

And yeah. I think that about covers it. 8-}

Posted : August 20, 2014 5:30 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Meltintalle: I love your observations! I haven't seen this film in a decade, so I remember very little. The one thing I do remember is the ending - Darcy and Elizabeth + her parents with Mary and a potential suitor. :p

Posted : August 20, 2014 9:04 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I likewise did not expect much from the 1940's P & P. I did confirm that it was the same one I watched years ago. (220 the only scene I remembered what the one with Mary and the flute player. ;)) ). I remembered the movie being a bit ridiculous.

Mr. Bennet was great. Mrs. Bennet was quite well done. As Mel said Caroline Bingley was very well portrayed. I thought Lydia was portrayed well despite not having much screen time. Mr. Collins was ridiculous as he ought.

Things to make one go "I, what--?": The choice for 1830's costumes... they're gorgeous in an over the top fashion as art sort of way once you become acclimated to the look...

I didn't like the costume choice not that those types of costumes don't have a place but ... I never did become acclimated to the look. Partly because I think of those styles as being American and partly because I am so used to the outfits in the other adaptations.

Pemberly.

Spoiler
Oh, wait. There was no Pemberly.

=)) [spoiler=]I felt that was a poor choice. The scenes at Pemberly are important for showing how Elizabeth warms to Mr. Darcy

Re the Assembly Ball

But wait... there's more. =)) The grand finale is everyone showing up at Longbourn--and I do mean everyone.

Including a parrot. :)) And suitors for Mary and Kitty. I believe Kitty was with Mr. Denny and Mary was with someone I don't think we had ever been introduced to before. :-

Spoiler
Because Lady Catherine was deliberately sounding Elizabeth out for her dear nephew... :-o[/spoiler]

Up until that point Lady Catherine was excellent.

Mel, here is what Lady Catherine really thought of the marriage (ie Book version):

And yeah. I think that about covers it. 8-}

How could you forget the carriage chase? :-o ;))

I'm also inclined to be generous towards it. I didn't expect much going into it, especially since I saw it was based on the dramatization of Jane Austen's book. It felt too rushed not so much in the middle as the beginning and the end. It is good for an occasional watch, especially for laughs. There are some good scene that captured the spirit of the book well.

Does anyone else like Mansfield Park? I read half and quit.

I love Mansfield Park. It is my favorite book of Austen's. I would encourage you to read the whole thing before you judge it. It doesn't move as fast as Northanger Abby, Emma or P & P but once it does get moving it is riveting. Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility take a while to set things up before the conflicts really get under way.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2014 4:54 pm
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)

Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility take a while to set things up before the conflicts really get under way.

You can say that again! :P I was not prepared for the slow pace of S&S compared to P&P. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I make it to Mansfield in my readings.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."

Posted : August 21, 2014 2:04 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Pattertwig: yes, the flute player. ;) Thanks for the information on Mansfield Park. I'll keep it in mind if I ever pick up the book again. I still thought S&S moved faster. :P

Posted : August 21, 2014 10:08 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

...Partly because I think of those styles as being American

Oh, I know. The skirts kept making me think of Gone with the Wind. ;))

Oh, yes. The carriage chase was something else, wasn't it? =)) Everything needs an action scene. :p

I had such a sense of deja vu with that closing scene with the suitors... I'm reasonably sure I'd never seen clips from this version, so does one of the others do homage to it?

Posted : August 21, 2014 10:36 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

In the black and white version Col Fitzwilliam was wearing a kilt. :-o I can't believe we forgot that. :-o

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

Topic starter Posted : August 22, 2014 12:11 pm
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)

Well, I finally finished S&S this weekend. What frustrated me about the otherwise good ending was that Austen, after spending pages dithering about these girls' relationships, summarizes and skips over all the interesting bits at the end! :P I have to say I find P&P to be a vast improvement over S&S as far as style and pacing (at least in my memory; it's been a few years since I read P&P). I still enjoyed it well enough, but it's one I'm more likely to enjoy via adaptations in the future, I think.

Posted : August 24, 2014 1:28 pm
Page 3 / 6
Share: