Notifications
Clear all

Navigating the Dark Island of the Covid-19  

Page 12 / 12
  RSS
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Guru Friend of NarniaWeb

Meanwhile, the UK government is planning to lift all restrictions on July 19, even making mask-wearing optional, and telling all of us that we are going to have to "learn to live with" the virus. Hmmm. Let's hope this won't be followed by skyrocketing hospitalisation and death rates yet again and a whole new raft of restrictions... it needs our prayers, that's for sure.

As for my sister, she didn't get the "This Girl is On Pfizer" T-shirt after all, but a hoodie top that says "Pfizer Alumni". Not nearly as witty, but there you go...

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2021 8:42 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

*chuckles at your "oh yes you dooo!" story, @waggawerewolf27* Giggle Hug  

I just arrived home from receiving my second dose, and was again impressed with the efficiency, care, organization of the clinic I went to in town. No side effects yet, but ... it has only been one hour. Giggle We shall see what tonight and tomorrow hold. This one was Pfizer, as was my first dose. I was quite expecting Moderna, because of what I have heard about the supply into Ontario, but nope. That's okay: whichever one suits me just fine. I am very grateful! Smile  

A fun tidbit: today I got mine; tomorrow our oldest son receives his; on Wed, our daughter; on Thursday, my husband. My dad, other son, and our daughter-in-law have had theirs already. Smile  

Ahhh, @courtenay, that sounds like it has the potential of being a challenge. Hug  

Posted by: @courtenay

As for my sister, she didn't get the "This Girl is On Pfizer" T-shirt after all, but a hoodie top that says "Pfizer Alumni". Not nearly as witty, but there you go...

LOL

This post was modified 6 days ago by johobbit

7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2021 12:58 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

In NZ our new supply of Pfizer has arrived, and I'm in the section of the community who will shortly be invited to make an appointment for a vaccine. 

Been a long time coming, but with our country's isolation policy we have kept the cases way down.  I'm grateful. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.

"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2021 4:28 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @courtenay

Meanwhile, the UK government is planning to lift all restrictions on July 19, even making mask-wearing optional, and telling all of us that we are going to have to "learn to live with" the virus.

Well, our local government certainly hasn't said that, but it accurately describes how our lifestyles are now, and that's how the vast majority of people in my area prefer it. But here's the interesting thing. I'm watching cases spike in the UK again from delta, which is odd to me because we have the same variant here, but our cases are still just....steady. In my county we have very consistently had 15-40 new cases per day for a long time now.
I don't know what our vaccine rate is because the ones that are recorded publicly are the ones that were given via the county health department. Well, lots of people, myself included, didn't get a vaccine through the county. So I think maybe.... 45-50% have had at least one dose? But I suspect the REAL factor is that at least 11/100 people have had covid, and those are just the recorded cases. So I wonder if we actually have a bit of herd immunity going on right now that's keeping delta cases in check? Or maybe it's wishful thinking? 
Meanwhile our neighbor state Missouri is having issues..... Worried  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2021 3:06 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
NarniaWeb Zealot

It is nice to hear about "freedom day", but..... We are all in the heaviest lockdown so far. This time construction workers have been affected, as well, which is really bad, especially if  now we can't get tradies etc. Only essential workers allowed. But yesterday & the day before there has been a slight decrease in new cases. Perhaps, this new wave is already slowing slightly. I hope it vanishes soon.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QDQp ... N3dGM/view

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2021 5:52 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Ugh, really sorry to hear that, @waggawerewolf27. I hope the case decrease continues downward.

Here in Ontario, we are anywhere between low 100 and mid-high 100 new daily cases, with the majority of these being the Delta variant. Most of the people who are contracting the virus at this time have not been vaccinated. Those vaccinated can still get Covid-Delta, but not nearly so severely; and they can also transmit it to others, apparently, which is why we cannot 'let loose' once vaccinated.

Ontario entered Phase 3 of reopening on July 16, with further lifting of restrictions. We will be in this phase for at least three weeks, and the medical officers are expecting longer because of the Delta variant. School begins in just over five weeks (right after Labour Day, Sept. 6), and the medical leadership has said they can pretty much predict now that the cases will rise again this Autumn with in-class learning and more people returning to the workplace after summer. But vaccinations will make all the difference in hospitalizations and deaths.

As of now, "there are more than 7.9 million people [in Ontario] fully immunized with two doses which is 65.5 per cent of the adult (18+) population. First dose adult coverage stands at 80.4 per cent."

Masks and distancing are still in place, but we're far further ahead now than where we were back in late winter/early spring. Smile  

This post was modified 5 days ago 2 times by johobbit

7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2021 10:14 am
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Cute video about how vaccines work:

[EDIT: there's one naughty word in it; I must have been shown the redacted version.]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1408131617348980743

This post was modified 6 days ago by The Old Maid

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2021 12:27 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
NarniaWeb Zealot

@johobbit:  I hope the case decrease continues downward.

Unfortunately no such luck. It is South West Sydney, the most highly populated part of Sydney, where we have the biggest families, the most recent arrivals & the place most likely to be multi-lingual.  Worst of all, it is where our youngest daughter lives & works. On a positive note, our youngest daughter, the one I most worry about, is definitely fully vaccinated now. I thought she had already received both doses but she got the second one today, phoning us triumphantly to let us know. I now only have to worry about the remaining four: Dad & myself on August 12, plus our two other daughters. I wasn't going to answer anything in this thread until I had something positive to say. Wink  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QDQp ... N3dGM/view

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2021 12:57 am
Page 12 / 12
Share: