Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Navigating the Dark Island of the Covid-19

Page 11 / 18
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Update: our numbers here are coming way down, at least relative to what they were. Today we are well below 500 daily new cases, the second time in the past week, which has not been seen since last September. We have entered Phase 1 of reopening Ontario, which, if all goes as hoped, will last for three weeks, at which point Phase 2 begins, in which hairdressers can finally open (to which everyone is cheering Giggle ). Any of Phase 1's gradual lifting of restrictions include outdoor activities (exercise programs, restaurant patios).

We are able to finally have a small family gathering this Sunday, Father's Day, for which we're all greatly anticipating. Grin One of our sons and our daughter will be sleeping over Sat night, and the few times we're inside together, we shall don masks and take care.

Our provincial leadership's main concern is that of the Indian/Delta variant, which is expected will become the dominant Covid variant this summer, so we have a ways to go out of this yet. And then there is the likely matter of an eventual vaccine booster shot, which, of course, the medical leads have yet to determine as time goes on.

The only one in our immediate family who is fully vaccinated is my 94 year old father (yay!); the rest of us have each had the first dose, and we expect we will all have had our second dose by the end of the August: it all depends on supply, which is quite steady now. My hubby and I are hoping for ours before the end of July. Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : June 14, 2021 9:25 am
Courtenay liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Personal news release: we just booked our second doses (either Pfizer or Moderna) for the first full week in July. Previously, they were booked for August 23, but the supply has been steady coming in to Canada, so everything was moved up, hurrah! Also, the province is concerned about the Delta variant, so to have most of the population fully vaccinated asap is crucial. We are grateful.

Posted : June 16, 2021 8:36 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @jo

Personal news release: we just booked our second doses (either Pfizer or Moderna) for the first full week in July. Previously, they were booked for August 23, but the supply has been steady coming in to Canada, so everything was moved up, hurrah! Also, the province is concerned about the Delta variant, so to have most of the population fully vaccinated asap is crucial. We are grateful.

All sounds good. Yes the Delta variant has made landfall in Sydney's East, & it looks like Groundhog Day all over again. Some transport worker without a mask. The bubble we have in NSW with NZ has burst, because one of our silly citizens testing positive flew there, over the Ditch.  Daughter no. 3 has already had her first vaccine & will have her second dose, soon. As she has issues with anaemia, she goes to the top of the list. Their Dad & myself have to wait until August 12th to get our second dose (Astra Zeneca). Our other two daughters might have to wait until September to get their vaccinations. The sooner it is all over the better, I say. Best of luck to all of us. 

Posted : June 23, 2021 6:13 am
johobbit liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

I got my first dose of Pfizer on Sunday.  I've had a sore arm but that's about it.  Second dose tentatively scheduled for August 15 (but it'll hopefully get moved up).  

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

Posted : June 23, 2021 9:04 am
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Good stuff, @glenwit. Likewise with the sore arm after my first dose. Our second doses were moved up from August 23 to the first full week of July, so hopefully yours will be too. Smile  

Thanks for your update, @waggawerewolf27! Any chance of your 2nd dose being moved up?

Here, Ontario is entering Phase 2 of reopening on Jun 30, the day before our Canada Day! This means more outdoor activities will open, along with being able to have five people visiting indoors ... we have not been able to do this in ever so long.

However, much caution is still advised, as we are not nearly done with the Delta variant yet. An area just a half hour way from us (Kitchener/Waterloo) is the hottest spot right now. Still, good news: the previous hot spots, Toronto and Peel, are doing much, much better.

Our positivity rate is 1.1%, the lowest since the end of last Sept. 76% of adults in Ontario have received their first vaccine dose; 29% are fully vaccinated. Grin But I did read that only 22.4% of the world's population has received at least their first vaccine. The low-income countries suffer so much at any time, but even moreso in a crisis such as this. Apparently only 0.9% of people in those countries have received at least one dose. Thankfully some of the countries who are able, are sending thousands of vaccines to help out these struggling places.

Posted : June 24, 2021 12:13 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

After a very nice break with very few cases in my area, we're starting to pick back up here again as the Delta variant is now in our region. I get the impression that even those who have had the vaccine can catch it, they just don't get very sick. However, I got the J&J vaccine and while that prevents serious illness and death, there's a likely chance that if I caught that variant, I wouldn't be asymptomatic. Just continuing to be cautious as my area has let up on all precautions. Only a small handful of businesses still require masks, otherwise everything is pretty well back to normal. 
As far as my family is concerned, we've gotten together with a few small groups of people, but are still avoiding large gatherings, and especially places where there are large groups of kids. 

Posted : June 29, 2021 9:20 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

Sure glad y'all have had a nice Covid break, fantasia, and hoping the Delta variant doesn't ramp up too much. Apparently it is so much more contagious even than the UK mutation.Good plan to stay away from larger gatherings for now.

Here, that variant is currently the dominant strain, 'though our daily case numbers are coming way down, mainly because of vaccines. We will be wearing masks for awhile yet, I'm thinking, but today Ontario moves in to Phase 2, which this link details: https://globalnews.ca/news/7976980/ontario-covid-reopening-plan-step-2-june-30/. Sadly, the area just a half hour away from us, a Delta hot spot now, is the only region in the entire province that will have to wait for Phase 2 until at least mid-July.

There was a provincial survey done recently, where 30% of the responders said that they were in no way following any restrictions. Sad.

And I am receiving my second vaccine dose (Pfizer or Moderna) this coming Monday! Smile  

Edit: But good news, Ontario is reporting 184 new Covid cases today, marking the first time the case count is below 200 in nearly 10 months. Grin   Still, too many daily deaths: 14 today. Sad It keeps hitting me that these are not just statistics: each one is a person with family and friends. May I never forget that!

Posted : June 30, 2021 8:44 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@Fantasia: I get the impression that even those who have had the vaccine can catch it, they just don't get very sick.

We have had an outbreak which has spread like lightning across Australia. All states are in lockdown as a result, though most haven't had too many new results.The worst hit state is NSW. There was a party where everyone got the Delta strain. Except the only 2 people who were fully vaccinated. So far, it is the Astro Zeneca vaccine, where there is some concerns about blood clotting.  But they are bringing in the Pfizer one later this year. 

Posted : July 1, 2021 4:46 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

So far, it is the Astro Zeneca vaccine, where there is some concerns about blood clotting.  But they are bringing in the Pfizer one later this year. 

Victoria definitely has the Pfizer vaccine available — my sister in Melbourne has had it (both doses now). She told my parents and me that she's buying a T-shirt that says "This Girl Is On Pfizer". Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : July 1, 2021 12:17 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@courtenay,  The govt isn't getting back to people who have been tested. Middle daughter was tested last Sunday but still no results. Last August it only took us 2 or 3 days. We have been under lockdown for a week now, only able to go out for shopping, medical reasons or work. 

If the first dose was Astra Zeneca, shouldn't the second dose be Astra Zeneca also? Or does it matter if the second dose gets to be Pfizer, instead? I've been wondering about that.

Posted : July 2, 2021 3:23 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@courtenay,  The govt isn't getting back to people who have been tested. Middle daughter was tested last Sunday but still no results. Last August it only took us 2 or 3 days. We have been under lockdown for a week now, only able to go out for shopping, medical reasons or work. 

Hmmm, it was like that early on in the UK, but they've definitely got the system going much better here now, as I know from being tested for work every week (they get back to us within a couple of days if anyone's results are positive or inconclusive).

We also have rapid result LFD tests that give a result within 30 minutes, which we also have to do twice a week at my workplace. Do you have those available in Australia? They're now accessible to just about anyone in the UK who wants or needs one.

If the first dose was Astra Zeneca, shouldn't the second dose be Astra Zeneca also? Or does it matter if the second dose gets to be Pfizer, instead? I've been wondering about that.

Not sure what you're referring to here, sorry — if you mean my sister, she's had two doses of Pfizer, as I said. My parents both had AstraZeneca for both doses, as did I. I'm not sure if any studies have been done on whether having one of each type of vaccine makes it more or less effective at all.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : July 2, 2021 3:29 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@Courtenay: Not sure what you're referring to here, sorry — if you mean my sister, she's had two doses of Pfizer, as I said. My parents both had AstraZeneca for both doses, as did I. I'm not sure if any studies have been done on whether having one of each type of vaccine makes it more or less effective at all.

Both myself & husband have had the first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine & are due to have the second dose on August 12th, by our GP, whilst Rachel is already booked in to have her first dose three days earlier at our local hospital. Our youngest is fully vaccinated, being considered vulnerable, because she gets IBS (Inflammatory not Irritable). But our middle daughter is trying to time her vaccinations for the end of the school term, so she has the holiday breaks to recover. New South Wales is about to phase out Astra Zeneca by October when it will be Pfizer all the way. I'm concerned about how any changeover might affect her, that is all.

@ Courtenay: We also have rapid result LFD tests that give a result within 30 minutes, which we also have to do twice a week at my workplace. Do you have those available in Australia? They're now accessible to just about anyone in the UK who wants or needs one.

I don't know, & will need to ask. It is easy enough to get tested here, just line up in one's car at the Paceway, over the road from a shopping centre. For a long time we have been getting a bit complacent, given that New South Wales has managed so well so far, & has been less affected than Victoria. We are now lagging behind Victoria in vaccinations, it would seem. This Delta strain is said to be far more infectious, with 31 new cases this morning, but mainly east of Parramatta, so far. Health workers, especially in nursing homes, are expected to be vaccinated compulsorily now, but there was one unvaccinated nurse caught out. That is just the news. 

Posted : July 2, 2021 5:43 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @courtenay

She told my parents and me that she's buying a T-shirt that says "This Girl Is On Pfizer". Grin  

Hilarious!!

Depends on which country's health organization you ask. In the USA, it should be the same one. If you go to Canada, they say mixing and matching is better. As far as I can tell, there is not enough research to make a definitive decision one way or another just yet. 

Posted : July 2, 2021 5:48 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

We have had an outbreak which has spread like lightning across Australia.

Really sorry to hear this, wagga. Sad  

Posted by: @courtenay

She told my parents and me that she's buying a T-shirt that says "This Girl Is On Pfizer". Grin  

LOL

Posted by: @fantasia

If you go to Canada, they say mixing and matching is better. As far as I can tell, there is not enough research to make a definitive decision one way or another just yet.

Yep and yep. In fact, when I get my second dose on Monday, I do believe it will be Moderna, whereas my first was Pfizer. Although as you said, fantasia, I don't believe there has been any conclusive evidence on this, but enough to indicate it may be even more effective to receive a different one for your second dose. As for AstraZeneca, our leadership has stated that an mRNA vaccine is fine to get if you have received AZ first.

Posted : July 2, 2021 6:57 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@johobbit: As for AstraZeneca, our leadership has stated that an mRNA vaccine is fine to get if you have received AZ first.

Oh, OK. I guess that answers my question, so I'll just go with the flow. Thank you.

Meanwhile, I've just found out what a lovely thing a mask is. It allows the wearer to get away with blue murder, even if the mask itself is not actually blue. Our Prime Minister wears one with the Australian flag on it, which may as well identify him as "Prime Minister of Australia". I hope you all have a wonderful Independence Day in USA. Maybe flag designed masks will become a fashion statement around the world.

Down in our nearest shopping centre, with my shopping all done, peering over my mask, almost up to my eyeballs, I passed a nondescript looking mask less man with his young son, who was, of course, wearing a mask. As I passed by, the non masked man said to his son, a little crossly: "No, I don't have to wear a mask". Temptation gripped me as I carolled sotto voce behind my mask: " Oh yes you dooo!" as sweetly as possible. Angel He must have heard me, so retorted "Oh no I don't", as I walked on. Wickedly, I went on my way. Grin Devil   Most people, like myself, were wearing masks today.

The trouble is with this lockdown, is that I never pretended I was fantastic at technical computer things, & though most places have normal sign in lists everywhere, there are these wretched QR codes we are supposed have on our mobile phones, to register contact details. Hubby has a QR code that the girls have patiently explained to him, but he can never find it when he needs it, which annoys him. Mine never got installed in the first place, as far as I can see.

Social non-conformity comes at a cost. 

Posted : July 4, 2021 5:10 am
Page 11 / 18
Share: