Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] History Buffs Unite

Page 3 / 3
Graymouser
(@graymouser)
NarniaWeb Nut

...the early 30's would be my favorite time to live in.

Uh, the Great Depression, 35% unemployment; the rise of Hitler, rearmament of Germany under the Nazis; Stalin's Great Purge, the Moscow show trials and collectivisation; Mussolin's invasion of Ethiopia; Japan attacks Manchuria... :-o

The only period I can think of that's more depressing is the middle and late 30s.

The difference is that people wanted to hear the stories, whereas I never met anyone who wanted to read the essays

Posted : August 22, 2011 1:59 am
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

I was going to say . . . :-

I love Depression-Era art, but I would under no circumstances want to live in that time period. Now, living in a 1930s movie would be fun.

I'd be curious to know why Valiant Lucy would want to live in that time period.

Posted : August 25, 2011 12:55 am
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

To be fair, one can make similar claims about other decades as well that make them appear as atrocious as the 30's have been portrayed. Even so, salient points, and it made me give pause to my time travel desires. I'm sticking with the 50's. ;))

If I know Val, she probably did a dissertation on fashions and social trends of the 30's and liked what she saw. Or perhaps she likes flapper dresses. Who knows? You have to ask her. ;))

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : August 25, 2011 7:30 am
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)
Member Moderator Emeritus

If I know Val, she probably did a dissertation on fashions and social trends of the 30's and liked what she saw. Or perhaps she likes flapper dresses. Who knows? You have to ask her.

Ehhahahahahaha ;)) ;))

SL, you definetly know me too well :P OK, so of course saying I would like to live in practicly any other time besides the last 40 years has it's downsides--wars, depressions, illnesses, lack of hygene, poverty, blah blah. I think it's pretty safe to say most of us saying we'd like to live in the middle ages or whatever are cleverly blocking that bit out from our wishing ;)

That said, I would like to live in the 30's because besides the 60's it's honestly the fashions I love the most. :D Which may seem like a stupid reason, but oh well. I like silhoette (spl?) of the styles of that decade, the hairstyles, etc. I would not want to live in a decade in which I find the fashions ugly or boring. :P It's also my second favorite decade for movies to be set in (besides the 60's), and my second favorite decade for movies to be MADE in (besides, again, the 60's). I love the art deco movement that was popular then too!

P.S. SL, flappers are actually from the 20's, not the 30's ;)

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : August 25, 2011 7:55 am
outlier
(@outlier)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. What is your favorite Era?
I like learning about the 20th century because it wasn't really taught much in school aside from being crammed in at the end right before standardized tests and stuff.

2. If you have a favorite, which country's history is your favorite to study?
American and British history because I had two teachers that really got me interested in them. And then after that I like learning about different countries interactions with each other.

3. Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in?
I'm content with where I am but I've always had a liking towards the 20's... That or any other post-war happiness era.

4. What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present?
Just about most of the "old-fashioned" ways of transportation I can think of. I'd also really think it'd be interesting to be living in a time where not all of Earth had been discovered/explored (I suppose that there are tropics and stuff that haven't been explored but I guess I'm referring to more of a Columbus/Lewis& Clarke type of thing). I'd also like to see phone booths and neighborhood friendliness/some time era where kids just wandered or walked around wherever..

5.Least favorite era?
Ancient civilizations and migration routes of early peoples. Yes they are interesting, but I just feel like they're too over-taught in school to the point where it's not interesting anymore.

Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club

Posted : September 7, 2011 7:33 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: