Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] History Buffs Unite

Page 2 / 3
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

1. What is your favourite Era?

WWII and Cold War. Although, I like any history dealing with wars.

2. If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study?

Good ol' USA!!! I also find Russian history and just about anything European to be pretty fascinating.

3. Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in?

I would love to live in all the eras. Although, I've always thought it really cool that I was alive at the new millenium! I've often wished I'd lived in the 70s or 80s. The 20s also. And WWII just to experience. Although I don't mean to light of it or seem flippant.

Although, I would definetly agree with people who haven't been wanting to live in previous eras with slavery, in-equality, etc. Although I am no feminist, I believe in women having equal rights with men.

4. What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present?

Typewriters. The old manual ones are all but obsolete now. I remember playing with one as a child. It didn't work anymore and it was stored in a shed. My older sister and I would always play with it. We would mash down a bunch of keys at once to jam them all together. :p

5.Least favorite era?

Colonialism. I don't know why. I just don't enjoy learning it that much. I like modern history (1900s and on) so much more.

Posted : August 17, 2011 7:43 pm
georgiefan1
(@georgiefan1)
NarniaWeb Guru

fellow history lover here!!

early 1900's
American history- it means more to me since I live here
3. Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in?
oh this is hard!!! I would love to see the colonial time period, or like the 1950s... hmm....this is hard!
Typewriters :p
5. Which era of history is your least favourite?
like 1600's european history, bored me alot in class

NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!

Posted : August 17, 2011 7:48 pm
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

*dittos Miss R and narnian_at_heart about typewriters* I recently got a typewriter and love the nostalgia about it and am very grateful for it, but while the typed manuscripts look nice and old, the machine itself is dating back to the 80's or 90's. It's the type that perhaps were used before the computer. I really, really love it because it helps me think while writing and has a correct tool, so I don't want to be ungrateful. However, I confess I long for a manual one. We used to have a pretty robin's egg blue manual one, but I have no idea what happened to it. :( But, yes, I wish we still had more manual typewritesr!

EDIT: I correct myself: Cleopatra is Drusilla's great grandmother, not grandmother. Or, actually, it's debated but I believe that the Drusilla mentioned is related to Cleopatra in some way like that.

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Topic starter Posted : August 18, 2011 8:25 am
Graymouser
(@graymouser)
NarniaWeb Nut

1) favorite era- Classical, especially Athens and Republican Rome- love those politics

2)favorite country to study- England

3)era- (with the usual caveats about disease and hygiene), early 18th C England- the Augustinian period, provided I had a seat in Parliament and was able to trade quips with Swift, Pope, Addison and Steele in the coffeehouses; and a country estate where I could indulge myself as an amateur explorer of the "New Learning"

4) airships- a sky filled with zeppelins would be great (followed by steam engines and sailing ships).

5) boring- 19th Century after the US Civil War.

The difference is that people wanted to hear the stories, whereas I never met anyone who wanted to read the essays

Posted : August 18, 2011 4:50 pm
ForeverFan
(@foreverfan)
NarniaWeb Guru

3)era- (with the usual caveats about disease and hygiene), early 18th C England- the Augustinian period, provided I had a seat in Parliament and was able to trade quips with Swift, Pope, Addison and Steele in the coffeehouses; and a country estate where I could indulge myself as an amateur explorer of the "New Learning"

What you say sounds quite nice, especially the seat in Parliament and the country estate. I would not mind one of those myself, especially if it was back in the late 1700s-1910s. ;)

4) airships- a sky filled with zeppelins would be great (followed by steam engines and sailing ships).

Hear, hear! My brother and I have often reflected that it would be lovely to go back to sailing ships, steam engines, and horse and carriages for all sort of traveling needs. Old style trains and perhaps the earliest of automobiles might not be so bad either... :)

long dresses (I know some people wear long dresses, but I mean more like the majority on a daily basis),

I know what you mean, and I'd like that too. What is the fun of wearing long, beautiful dresses and gowns from yester year if you're the only one doing it? It would be much nicer if all the ladies did it, I think. :)

Ah, I only guessed Victorian because the date L.M. Montgomery wrote it was similar to the date that one of the Victorian American Girls is set in. Otherwise, I'm at loss to diffrentiate between Edwardian, Victorian, etc. I did notice that the movie leaned toward a more recent time than the book!

That's okay. ;) Just remember that the Victorian age ended in 1901, at the death of HM Queen Victoria, and the Edwardian age started with the reign of her son, Edward VII, and went until his death in 1911. :)

Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Posted : August 19, 2011 1:50 am
Adeona
(@adeona)
Thursday's Wayfaring Child Hospitality Committee

Favorite era: WWII and Celtic England to the reign of Alfred the Great.

Least favorite era: Ooh - tough. I guess maybe Regency. To begin with, the styles were yucky.
Oh, and the 1970s and 80s. Talk about craziness!

Favorite country (historically): Italy. While it was certainly never the most moral country, Italy does have a fascinating and complicated history and culture. :) Plus, I'm one very strong quarter Italian.
It's really a tough choice between Italy and Scotland. I generally loath the English for their rotten conquest of Scotland and their treatment of the Scottish Covenanters.

Era I'd choose to live in: I'd want to have been born around 1930 thus putting me around 20 years old in the 50s. :D

Item from history I wish was still in use: horse-drawn carriages. Quill pens for purely recreational purposes. Beautifully bound books. Old fashioned soda fountain shops. I could probably go on and on. :p

"In the end, there is something to which we say: 'This I must do.'"
- Gordon T. Smith
avi by Flambeau

Posted : August 19, 2011 4:56 pm
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

long dresses (I know some people wear long dresses, but I mean more like the majority on a daily basis),

I know what you mean, and I'd like that too. What is the fun of wearing long, beautiful dresses and gowns from yester year if you're the only one doing it? It would be much nicer if all the ladies did it, I think. :)

I would like that too but only if I was living in that time period for just a week or two. I am way too much of a tom boy, hiker, adventurer, etc. Skirts would just get in my way and annoy me to no end after a few days. For a while, it would be fun though.

Posted : August 19, 2011 7:37 pm
De_De
(@de_de)
NarniaWeb Guru

1. What is your favourite Era? The 1800's

2. If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study? Russian midevil history, I live it :p! It's so interesting because it's a whole culture that is not so wifespread.

3. Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in? Novgorad, Russia 14th century

Horse-drawn carriges...less pollution :p

5. Which era of history is your least favourite? The 70's and 80's. I really don't get them. I'm not really a fan of disco...those were weird decades :)

Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club

Posted : August 20, 2011 3:30 am
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I wish that I knew how to dance and attended nice JaneAusten-esque balls for special occasions and lived back then! *sighs* :P

Oh I really wish that too :) I actually had a dress made up in the style of that century....the only problem is finding a place where I can learn how to dance in the style of those days :(

I agree :) it would be so much nicer if all ladies wore dresses :p

I would like that too but only if I was living in that time period for just a week or two. I am way too much of a tom boy, hiker, adventurer, etc. Skirts would just get in my way and annoy me to no end after a few days. For a while, it would be fun though.

LOL I guess it could get uncomfortable after a while, but you know I was suprised that actually a skirt doesn't hinder all that much. I lived for a week dressed up Russian 14th century ('twas at a historical festival) and I discovered you can do a lot of things in a skirt, I climbed over fences and up and down steep hills, played games like tag, hauled water, chopped wood and even went swimming in a dress that reached up to my ankles, so though uncomfortable it's actually quite possible :p

Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in? Novgorad, Russia 14th century

How weird that you would like to live in the same century and city as me :p

always be humble and kind

Posted : August 20, 2011 4:10 am
Lion's Emblem
(@lions-emblem)
NarniaWeb Guru

The Three Kingdoms period of China. I've also been getting my feet wet with the early sengoku and edo periods in Japan (I believe it was called the Warring States period).

I have particular interest in the older histories of Great Britain, China, and Japan.

Call me boring, but I'm quite content with the present.

Let me get back to you on that one. I've never really thought about it before.

5. Least favorite era: The birth of America. I never found American history to be interesting (maybe because it was taught over and over again through every year of school).

Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan

Posted : August 20, 2011 6:14 pm
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

LOL I guess it could get uncomfortable after a while, but you know I was suprised that actually a skirt doesn't hinder all that much. I lived for a week dressed up Russian 14th century ('twas at a historical festival) and I discovered you can do a lot of things in a skirt, I climbed over fences and up and down steep hills, played games like tag, hauled water, chopped wood and even went swimming in a dress that reached up to my ankles, so though uncomfortable it's actually quite possible :p

Yea, that's true. I know you can do all that stuff but it's not always very nice. Those old time dresses can be HOT. I knew someone on a mission trip who wore loose knee lenght skirts every day because those are very cool because they let the air flow around your legs. But the long full floor length ones, those can be very hot especially with how much hiking and stuff I do. Plus, some stuff, like rock climbing, you really can't do in a long skirt. Especially not a full one because you have to be able to get against the rock.

Posted : August 20, 2011 6:46 pm
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)

The 1920's-30's and the 1960's. I also quite like the 40's and 50's but just not as much to be my very favorite. As for centuries, I like the 1700's, the Middle Ages (mildly), and the time period of Cleopatra, Ceaser, etc.
Probably England or France?

I would soooo love to be living in England during the 1960's!

Steamer ships instead of planes...and in particular, the idea of dressing up glamorously for travel. No more of this Ugg-and-sweatpant busness, I'm talking pearls, pencil skirts, heels, hair done up, the whole shebang! :P

5. Least favorite era:
I pretty much don't like anything from 1820-1900. I'm not interested in Victorian times, or Civil-War-era stuff...I'm also not a huge fan of the Rennisance time period.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : August 21, 2011 5:52 am
wild rose
(@wild-rose)

Yea, that's true. I know you can do all that stuff but it's not always very nice. Those old time dresses can be HOT. I knew someone on a mission trip who wore loose knee lenght skirts every day because those are very cool because they let the air flow around your legs. But the long full floor length ones, those can be very hot especially with how much hiking and stuff I do. Plus, some stuff, like rock climbing, you really can't do in a long skirt. Especially not a full one because you have to be able to get against the rock.

I agree that full skirts are more ucomfortable :) and climbing rocks would be quite a challange :) I like long skirts but I agree they can be hot, a lot depends of course on the material that you use, but then it all really depends on the person and what his perferred style is :)

Steamer ships instead of planes...and in particular, the idea of dressing up glamorously for travel. No more of this Ugg-and-sweatpant busness, I'm talking pearls, pencil skirts, heels, hair done up, the whole shebang!

Oh I agree with you :) Steamer ships take longer than planes but it makes the traveling funner cause you have more time to meet new people (at least in my opinion) and I too like the idea of dressing up for travel :)

always be humble and kind

Posted : August 21, 2011 6:34 am
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)

but then it all really depends on the person and what his perferred style is :)

Seeing as how we're discussing wearing skirts every day, for everything, I don't really think "his" is the appropriate word here ;) :p

Oh, and I forgot to say I'm also a huge WWII fan, and besides the 60's...the early 30's would be my favorite time to live in.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : August 21, 2011 6:53 am
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

I agree that full skirts are more ucomfortable :) and climbing rocks would be quite a challange :) I like long skirts but I agree they can be hot, a lot depends of course on the material that you use, but then it all really depends on the person and what his perferred style is :)

Very true. :)

Steamer ships instead of planes...and in particular, the idea of dressing up glamorously for travel. No more of this Ugg-and-sweatpant busness, I'm talking pearls, pencil skirts, heels, hair done up, the whole shebang!

Oh I agree with you :) Steamer ships take longer than planes but it makes the traveling funner cause you have more time to meet new people (at least in my opinion) and I too like the idea of dressing up for travel :)

Oh ditto! I never dress up for travel but I don't dress down either. I wear normal clothes.

Posted : August 21, 2011 1:11 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: