Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] History Buffs Unite

Page 1 / 3
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

[if this is not in the right place, then I apologize in advance and ask the Mods to carry on their destined modly job. ;)) ]

So, I remember we had a thread like this in the Old Narniaweb, and thought it'd be nice to have another one here, since we have a substantial amount of history buffs over here on Narniaweb, me being one of them.
(credit for the title goes to whoever started the one on the Old Narniaweb--I just remember the Title being that, so used it here. It isn't mine.)

To start us off, a few questions:

1. What is your favourite Era?
2. If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study?
3. Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in?
4. What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present?

At present, I won't answer these now because my answers are lengthy and I'm feeling lazy. :P Feel free to add any more questions! :)

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2011 5:39 pm
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

I love history, and this is a great thread! :D

What is your favourite Era? I have a few. I love the Punic Wars, specifically the 2nd Punic War. Love those war elephants and Numidian cavalry ;)). I love the American Revolution period. But I love WW2 the most, by far. :)

If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study? I would pick US first, of course...but I have always been interested in English history as well.

Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in? The 1940's and 50's.

What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present?

War elephants, of course. ;))

I'm probably the only person in the world who saw Return of the King in theaters and cheered when the oliphaunts charged. ;))

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : August 17, 2011 1:13 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I would say world war 2 is the most interesting but it feels weird calling it favorite because it was such a terrible advent.

Germany has the most interesting part in world war 2.

3. Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in?

1960's , the war is in the passed and things are getting peaceful again.

I have no idea, really i will hyave to think about that one.

Posted : August 17, 2011 1:21 am
ForeverFan
(@foreverfan)
NarniaWeb Guru

Lovely thread, Bella! :)

I enjoy most the era from the 1760s to 1953 (or, from the beginning of the reign of King George the III to the beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth the II (not that I have anything against Her Majesty, of course. It's the rest of the world, not her, that determined when my liking of history generally ends).

British history, which of course includes the history of sixteen plus countries, colonies, and dominions. :)

The Victorian Age.

Everything. (<--seriously!)

Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Posted : August 17, 2011 2:34 am
Lady Lilliandil
(@lady-lilliandil)
NarniaWeb Nut

I like three! :p Renaissance, Colonial, and Victorian.

I really like England's history, But really anything European.

Victorian, Because I would love to wear those dresses!! :)

Ooh that's hard! Um... hoop skirts?? :D

Avie by:MissAdventure
siggy by:LucyP0104

Caspian + Lilliandil
"Love NEVER fails"

Posted : August 17, 2011 2:37 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Aww, thanks! I'm glad y'all like it! :)
*goes ahead and answers the questions now*

What is your favourite Era? Ooh, this is such a hard question. I really, really love reading World War 2 materlial and have a fascination for that era in general. The Civil War in American History is also a favourite. I really like the dressing of the Victorian Era, Depression Era, Anne-of-Green-Gable-esque time (I think that's Victorian...), the Egyptians, New Testament Mediterranean Area, things pertaining to Native Americans... the list is endless. Like SL and ILF, World War 2 probably wins most favourite.

If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study?
Because I've learnt it my whole life and I like it in general, American History wins first. I love learning about the colonial times, frontier, the Gold Rush time, the Civil War, the Depression and both World Wars. Like Fanny, though, my interest in history declines after a certain period-probably the 60's or 70's.

I really, really love Europe's history. I had the privilege of doing World History in the grade I just completed and I LOVED it.

Too, I like studying Native American history and Egyptian History.

Fun fact! In Acts 24:24, a Drusilla accompanied by Felix is mentioned. This Drusilla is, in fact, the one and only Cleopatra and Mark Antony's grand-daughter. I thought that was rather interesting. (I learnt it from one of those royal dairies books.)

I determine my favourites from historical happenings, artifacts, and lifestyles. :)

Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in? 1860's, Victorian Era, 1930's. The Little House books make me want to live when the books are set in.

What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present? Typewriter, sugar chests, long late-1800's dresses. A lot, but not everything I wish comes to mind. Letter-writing is still present, but I wish that writing letters was more often practiced today as it was in the past.

Topic starter Posted : August 17, 2011 8:16 am
ForeverFan
(@foreverfan)
NarniaWeb Guru

Fun fact! In Acts 24:24, a Drusilla accompanied by Felix is mentioned. This Drusilla is, in fact, the one and only Cleopatra and Mark Antony's grand-daughter. I thought that was rather interesting. (I learnt it from one of those royal dairies books.)

What a fun fact indeed! :) I didn't know that! :)

Anne-of-Green-Gable-esque time (I think that's Victorian...)

You're right, it is Victorian. I always assumed it was Edwardian, as that was the time period in which it was set in the television mini-series (altho' now I do recall that the film makers changed that to be at a later date than the original), but ostensibly it is Victorian. Now I shall have to go back and re-read all the books, imagining the characters in their proper outfits. ;))

Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Posted : August 17, 2011 8:22 am
Shantih
(@shantih)
Member Moderator Emeritus

The rise of communism, from the Russian revolution to the South American uprisings. Also the Napoleonic wars.

Probably Russia, both before and after the revolution.

Am I the only one who wouldn't want to live in a historical era? What with all the diseases, lack of civil rights, slavery and serfdom...:P

Oooh... not so much an item but a practice, I wish we still used portrait painting as often.

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

Posted : August 17, 2011 9:20 am
wild rose
(@wild-rose)

Oh I LOVE history, great thread :D

1. What is your favourite Era? Very hard question :) I generally like medevial Russia, and the Napolean times (early 1800s), WWI and WWII are also a love :) late 19th century is another great favorite oh and viking times that is another personal favorite...and the rise and fall of the Roman empire.... and the list goes on :p
Definatly Russia :) France and England take a close second :)
um, I think, well I wouldn't mind living in Novgorod during the 14th century, it was a rich city and relativly safe to live, provided I wouldn't be a peasant :p I also wouldn't mind living in the English countryside in the early 19th century :)
I wish tabletweaving was used more often, for practical daily use that is, I wish swords were still in used in battle (as opposed to guns :p ) long dresses (I know some people wear long dresses, but I mean more like the majority on a daily basis), typewriters definatly, carriages, oh and traditional shoemaking and professional cobblers, that is a trade really and it is slowly disapearing (at least here in Russia)

thought I'd add another question (hope no one minds)

What Era in history is your least favorite?
for me it would probably be the 18th century, though the reason is very silly :p I hate the style of those days :p anything after WWII also isn't a favorite with me :)

always be humble and kind

Posted : August 17, 2011 10:31 am
malkah
(@malkah)
NarniaWeb Guru

Fantastic thread, Bella! :D

What is your favourite Era? World War 2, the American Civil War, the Oregon Trail/pioneer movement, Old Testament Israel, and early Native American history. I've also been fascinated with ancient Celtic/British history lately. :D

If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study? U.S. history wins for me, although British history is a close second!

Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in? Either the 1940's or the 1870's-90's.

What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present? Typewriters, quill pens, and ladies' hats. I also wish we still lived in a society where everyone knew how to dance. ;)

The Roman Empire and anything after WWII.

the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics

Posted : August 17, 2011 10:46 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

*is glad you all like the thread* :) :D

Thanks, Fanny! I thought it very interesting!

Ah, I only guessed Victorian because the date L.M. Montgomery wrote it was similar to the date that one of the Victorian American Girls is set in. Otherwise, I'm at loss to diffrentiate between Edwardian, Victorian, etc. I did notice that the movie leaned toward a more recent time than the book!

Shantih, your point on not wanting to live in a different era is very sensible. ;))

Ooh, good extra question, Wrose!

This is hard! I think I like a lot of them, but I don't like studying the finding of the New World. I get bored with all the French, Spanish, etc Explorations and all that. ;))

I forgot to add, but Wrose's post reminded me-- I looooove what I've learnt of Russian history. If I could live in the past, Russia is definitely one of the places I'd like to go to. Russian culture and traditions just fascinate me.

Hehe, Mal, I ditto all your answers to the first four questions. ;)) I wish that I knew how to dance and attended nice JaneAusten-esque balls for special occasions and lived back then! *sighs* :P

Topic starter Posted : August 17, 2011 11:43 am
Shantih
(@shantih)

My least favourite would have to be the Tudors. Nothing personal but schools in England love to teach this. Every. Single. Year. Perhaps this is why I enjoy modern history so much, when I was in my final years of school I was able to select modules on the Nazi state and the causes of the Korean War and was ecstatic to drop the Tudors once and for all ;))

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

Posted : August 17, 2011 12:26 pm
Miss Rosario
(@miss-rosario)
NarniaWeb Guru

Fabulous thread, Bella! :D

What is your favourite Era?
World War II wins the place for me. Hands down. I can never read enough books on that time period. Ancient Egypt, the Great Depression, the Victorian era, medieval Russia, and Native American history are all close seconds, though.

If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study?
Egypt. Ancient Egyptian history is fascinating - the Great Pyramids, Valley of the Kings, temples, pharaohs... My family visited a museum exhibit about King Tut several years ago. Apparently, it's the main exhibit that travels around the world, featuring many of the artifacts discovered in his tomb. It was incredible to walk through.

I really enjoy American history (the frontier, colonial times, Civil War, Great Depression, and World War I and II) as well, up to the late-ish 1900's.

Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in?
Um, I'm with Shantih on this one. I'm content living in our current era - to some extent, anyway.

But if I must pick... I'd say the 1930's or 40's. The Victorian age is nice, but I hate to imagine what it would feel like having to wear those dresses. Waaaaay too hot for my liking (or survival, rather). And corsets? BIG no-no.

What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present?
Typewriters. I just have this huge thing for them. ;)) I also looooooove the houses from the Victorian age! It would be nice if most modern houses looked like that. And as I mentioned earlier, the long Victorian-style dresses look absolutely lovely - but I wouldn't want to be caught dead wearing one. ;)

[EDIT: After reading Wolf's post, I'd add horses/horse-drawn carriages to the list as well. And cobblestone streets.

I also wish we still lived in a society where everyone knew how to dance. ;)

Definitely with you on that! It would be lovely to still have occasional balls and such.

I'm with Bella. The discovery of the New World often bores me.

Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci

Posted : August 17, 2011 1:45 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Probably the Middle Ages. There was the Crusades, Feudalism, lots of myth and folklore... and the Americas hadn't been taken over by the colonists yet :P All in all it's interesting just cause there's so much going on.

2. If you have a favourite, which country's history is your favourite to study? Oh that's hard. I'll go with Rome. But it really depends on the time period. I'd say Austrailia, except I'm very bad at Austrailian history. As for the US, it's alright, but it's very close to home for me ;)

3. Apart from the era you're living in now, what time era would you like to live in? Pre-Columbus in the Americas

4. What is one item from history that you wish we still used in the present? Ummm... Classic Cars, Horses, Sled Dogs... lots of stuff I guess

5. What Era in history is your least favorite? The time right after the American Revolution. I can't even remember the name of it :P

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : August 17, 2011 3:49 pm
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

I love art history. It fascinates me how people, like C.S. Lewis for example, use art to grapple with the human condition, and process the events of their lives. It's one thing to read about how something happened on such and such a date, but artists make you FEEL what was happening.

1. My favorite era is the 1930s. Everything from Walker Evans to Mark Sandrich.

2. My favorite country is Egypt. I don't remember back when we lived in Egypt, but, when we were living in Tel Aviv, my family visited and took a cruise down the Nile. It was the most spell-binding experience, exploring the temples, looking at reliefs that were carved thousands of years ago, and still tell a story.

3. I don't know what era I'd like to live in, that's tough. Every era has it's pros and cons. I wish I was living in an era in which children could be raised the way I was raised, running free and having adventures. :ar! Nowadays that's just not safe.

4. I think it's too bad mulled wine has gone out of fashion. :p

5. What era is my least favorite? Hmmm . . . 19th century, I guess.

Posted : August 17, 2011 6:59 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: