Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Favorite Soundtracks, part II

Page 1 / 10
PrinceCor004
(@princecor004)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, here we are again. Another thread to discuss your favorite film, TV and Broadway musical soundtracks. :) Here you can discuss anything from the latest Hans Zimmer, Patrick Doyle or James Newton-Howard film score to the latest album of your favorite Broadway musical.

Please remember to keep all posts within forum rules. (though I really doubt any of you will have a problem with this.) ;)

And so, carry on!

Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)

Topic starter Posted : September 4, 2009 8:13 am
Edmund_is_King
(@edmund_is_king)
NarniaWeb Nut

I'd say my most favorite sound tracks would be:

Lord of the Rings, because the soundtrack can be so peaceful, majestic, sad, haunting, I could use a million worlds to describe it (literally), but in my opinion the Lord of the Rings soundtrack isn't matched by any other movie.

Narnia, because it's so filled with hope, and triumphal (for the most part).

Pirates, because it's so energetic :p , it can help cheer you up if your depressed (imho).

No I don't listen to a lot of different soundtracks, and I do not by any means have a right to be a music critic just my very humble opinion. So I'll shut up now :p :-$

NW bro of Atamar, Hoped4jill, and Georgiefan
NW Younger bro and servant of her highness Ti'ana
sig and ava by me

Posted : September 4, 2009 10:34 am
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

my last post on the previous thread...

here are some links for the ever after soundtrack lys. *happy sigh* i love it. have you seen the movie?

... re=related

eik: i haven't seen pirates or lotr but i agree with the narnia comments. my favorite tracks from the pc soundtrack are prince caspian flees, miraz crowned, and the night raid. they're all fairly dark but i just love them! the battle song in lww is so wonderful, i used to cry listening to it

Posted : September 4, 2009 3:29 pm
Farsight1
(@farsight1)
NarniaWeb Regular

Besides Narnia:

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight
Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Cassino Royale
Lord of The Rings
The Lion King
Mission:Impossible
Spider-Man
Pirates of The Caribbean
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Posted : September 4, 2009 4:50 pm
wisewoman
(@wisewoman)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Nice job on the topic opening, PrinceCor ;)

My husband and I were listening to the Rudy score last night and I was struck by how much some parts reminded me of Rachel Portman's score for Emma. I know we've talked about certain composers reusing their own music (*coughJamesHornercough*), but do you know of any other "sound-alike" scores that were written by different composers? I was really rather surprised at the likeness.

Oh, and Shadowlander, I haven't been able to get Conan the Barbarian from the library. They only have a collection that includes one or two songs from it. I'll try that first before ordering it from SwapaCD. I think my husband objected to the cover art last time this conversation came up!

"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine

Posted : September 5, 2009 5:23 am
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

Oh, and Shadowlander, I haven't been able to get Conan the Barbarian from the library. They only have a collection that includes one or two songs from it. I'll try that first before ordering it from SwapaCD. I think my husband objected to the cover art last time this conversation came up!

You can probably just listen to some tracks on youtube, they've got at least 10-12 on there. I thought it was a very good soundtrack (anything with lots of brass is good stuff!) but like I said, one or two of the track titles you might find objectionable. And I can't be held responsible for the cover art! #:-s Like I said before, I tend to think it's best to see the score played within the movie first, but I can all but guarantee you'd probably not be a huge fan of it...lots of...stuff... in it. ;)

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : September 5, 2009 5:40 am
PrinceCor004
(@princecor004)
NarniaWeb Guru

Thank you, ww. It was an honor to open up this thread. :)

As to the topic of scores sounding like other scores: After listening to Christopher Young's "The Fly II" score, I could pick out moments that sounded akin to "Aliens", a previous Young score (not sure if it's O.K to say the title here) and several Bernard Herrmann scores.

It's still a great horror/sci-fi score, but I did notice the similarities to other works.

Has anyone else heard the score to the 1985 Ridley Scott fantasy film "Legend"? The Jerry Goldsmith score, not the Tangerine Dream score. I stumbled upon this soundtrack several months ago and greatly enjoyed the strange, almost classical feel it had. Needless to say, it's on my "To buy" list. ;)

Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)

Topic starter Posted : September 5, 2009 6:30 am
Mr Anderson
(@mr-anderson)
NarniaWeb Regular

I thought it was a very good soundtrack (anything with lots of brass is good stuff!)

Oh, dear. This makes me doubt whether I'd really like any soundtracks recommended by you. XD I don't really mind brass, but I've never heard anything with lots of it that I really liked. John Williams is very low on my list of favourite composers because of all the brass he uses. ^_^

(Formerly Reep&cheep)

Posted : September 6, 2009 7:45 am
lysander
(@lysander)
NarniaWeb Junkie

*wonders if that's one of the reasons he dislikes most of John Williams as well*

here are some links for the ever after soundtrack lys. *happy sigh* i love it. have you seen the movie?

Yes, but years and years ago, and I only faintly remember some of the music. Thanks for the links! I really liked the Celtic sound of "The Homecoming," and the Main Title music definitely reminded me of the experience of watching the movie. It's not high on my list of to-buys/to-listens, but if ever I see the soundtrack at a sale of some sort, I shall certainly snatch it up.

~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~

Posted : September 6, 2009 8:26 am
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

Wow...I always thought John Williams was one of the greats for the past century. He has a superb gift for creating melody, and ones that stick in your head especially.

Oh, dear. This makes me doubt whether I'd really like any soundtracks recommended by you. XD I don't really mind brass, but I've never heard anything with lots of it that I really liked. John Williams is very low on my list of favourite composers because of all the brass he uses.

I love brass, but then again I played trombone many years ago so I guess I have a bias. ;) I love strings, please do not misunderstand me (Mendelssohn is my favorite Classical composer and he relies heavily on strings for his melodies) but sometimes a score needs a bit more...muscle? Not sure what word to use. But it is very difficult to write a score capitalizing on brass...not many composers can pull it off. B-)

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : September 6, 2009 8:57 am
Mr Anderson
(@mr-anderson)
NarniaWeb Regular

I agree that John Williams has a gift for creating very memorable melodies and themes, but in my opinion those themes are the only part of his music that's good. If you listen to one of his soundtracks, there'll be one or two themes that pop up here and there which are really great and then nothing but really boring and useless stuff in between.

I know what you mean by more muscle, but brass isn't the only thing that can give something muscle. Piano can be quite forceful at times, and obviously percussion. (I'm a drummer, so I might be biased, too. XD)

But I have found that my favourite soundtracks are those that aren't afraid to be strong. There's a lot of stuff out there that just kind of keeps quiet and in the backround, which can be good at times for a movie. But then there are those where the music is allowed to be just as much a part of the scene as the visuals which leads to much stronger, more exciting, and more emotional and beautiful music. John Williams, in my opinion, spends most of his time hovering in the background and only pops up during really important parts. There are exceptions, obviously, but that seems to be what most of his music is like. ^_^

(Formerly Reep&cheep)

Posted : September 6, 2009 10:20 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm a huge fan of soundtracks, I'll just list a few.
Narnia, it has some very moving themes.
All three Lord of the Rings, Howard Shore demonstrating pure genius.
Mortal Kombat, dare you to try to keep still when you hear it.
The Truman Show, it's unique and calming.
Jurassic Park, one of the best movie themes.
Almost all of Hans Zimmer's stuff, he's my favorite.

Glad to see other soundtrack fans out there

Posted : September 6, 2009 2:38 pm
aslanshow
(@aslanshow)
NarniaWeb Newbie

One of my favorites is James Newton Howard. He always writes some beautiful themes. My very favorite is the work he did for "The Village." The beautiful violin playing over the rolling strings, and a gentle piano... it is a beautiful, moody soundtrack.

I agree with Shadowlander - I think that John Williams is one of the greats. While I'm most familiar with his scores for the Harry Potter films, I think the "Prisoner of Azkaban" is a great showcase of his talents, because it shows big and bombastic and then very mellow and beautiful. I'm hoping that he'll come back and return for the 7th and 8th Harry Potter films - what a great way to musically end the series!

Music is what feelings sound like.
- Author Unknown

Posted : September 6, 2009 4:22 pm
Silvertongue
(@silvertongue)
NarniaWeb Regular

I love James Newton Howard's music...I thought he did a fabulous job on "The Village"...and he did a great job on "Defiance" as well! You can tell it's him, as there's bits that sound very much like "The Village"...:D
He teamed up with Joshua Bell for alot of the pieces in "Defiance" that are absolutely breath-taking!!

I loved "The Truman Show" soundtrack as well, TheGeneral. The movie, itself, is one of my favorites. ;)

Posted : September 7, 2009 3:05 am
Lava
 Lava
(@lava)
NarniaWeb Regular

Besides Narnia:

Showboat
Cars
August Rush
Prince of Egypt
Phantom of the Opera
Walk to Remember