Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] What volunteer work do you like to do?

Page 1 / 2
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

I like the CROP Walk Against Hunger. One of the regular projects for the funds raised is the drilling of wells. In many parts of the world, bringing water is considered women's work, so when girls have to walk too far away to get water and bring it back, they can't finish their chores in time to go to school. Boys can't finish their water-related chores such as tending livestock. A well lets the children finish their chores, provides clean water for gardens and animals, and ultimately makes life better for the whole town. I've been involved in the walks for years and they're really easy to join and organize.

What kinds of volunteer work do you like to do?

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

Topic starter Posted : September 4, 2009 7:46 am
Edmund_is_King
(@edmund_is_king)
NarniaWeb Nut

I Volunteer once a week at a dog training place. :) And I enjoy volunteering with animals and stuff to do with wildlife. It's always easier to volunteer if your doing it with people that you know. I've also done some volunteering stuff though our church.

NW bro of Atamar, Hoped4jill, and Georgiefan
NW Younger bro and servant of her highness Ti'ana
sig and ava by me

Posted : September 4, 2009 10:20 am
Peregrin
(@peregrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

I knit winter hats, scarves, socks, gloves, etc for an orphanage in Russia. A ministry called Orphan Cry distributes them to the children.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, ... 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Posted : September 4, 2009 5:37 pm
Queen Susan
(@queen-susan)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hm... Well, when someone needs help moving from one place to the next, or building something such as a shed or a retaining wall, usually a group of men and boys from our church get together and do that. I don't usually help out with the building part or anything, but I have helped people move before.

And I don't know if this would count as work: but we usually try to regularly go to a nursing home and sing/play music for the people there. :-)

Posted : September 5, 2009 9:35 am
Peregrin
(@peregrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

And I don't know if this would count as work: but we usually try to regularly go to a nursing home and sing/play music for the people there.

I would definitely say this would count. A lot of people avoid going to nursing homes. It's great that you are going. I know the folk there love to hear music.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, ... 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Posted : September 5, 2009 9:56 am
MereChristian
(@merechristian)
NarniaWeb Regular

I would volunteer at hospitals for the children at Christmas time. :)

It's nice to see you on here, Peregrin. Two posts in one day, that's great. ;) :D

I bid you all adieu.

The surest way for evil to triumph in the world is for good men to do nothing. - Sir Edmund Burke    

Avvy and sig by Erucenindë.

Posted : September 5, 2009 10:15 am
Queen Susan
(@queen-susan)
NarniaWeb Guru

I know the folk there love to hear music.

Yes they do. :) They love to see the younger-folk we bring along too. Reminds them of their grandchildren I suppose. :) I really enjoy visiting them too, and hope to brighten their day a bit. :)

Posted : September 5, 2009 10:33 am
Peregrin
(@peregrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

They love to see the younger-folk we bring along too. Reminds them of their grandchildren I suppose.

The folk we talk to say they bring back memories of their own children, rather than their grandchildren. Unfortunately most older folk in nursing homes don't have a lot to do other than think. It is hard not to dwell in the past when you have so little going on in the present. I think the older you get, the farther back you look. At least that's the way it is in my family.

It's nice to see you on here, Peregrin.

It nice to see you too, MereChristian. I hope all is going well with your studies.

Posted : September 5, 2009 10:53 am
RamanduDaughter
(@ramandudaughter)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I'm glad to see that this thread made it to the new forum. :) Volunteering is an important part of my life, and an important value to me. Giving of your time and energy to help others without expecting any kind of pay is definitely something Jesus would want us to do, something He demonstrated for us in His life on earth.

I run a hotline to help local immigrant families, which means being available to answer the phone at any time of day or night. The most time-consuming part of my work is organizing "on the street" so to speak, talking to people in neighborhoods and stores, building relationships and connecting people, helping people find resources, and helping organize events.

Something I've learned is that the most important work is usually the work done in the background-- the labor in the heat or cold that nobody notices but that decides whether everything is a success or failure. It is the most exhausting and usually means missing the fun of the event itself, but it really is the most satisfying.

NW sis to LittleTarkheena & AitB, NW twinny to Goldie_Lucy
RL sis to RuralNarniaFan

"I have seen progress in an egg. In Narnia we call it Going Bad."

Posted : September 5, 2009 12:51 pm
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

OK, I posted on this on the old forum, and I am happy to see it made it's way to the new one.

My favorite volunteer work is anything that has to do with little children. They are the best! I mean, they can say the cutest things, like talking about Prince Caspian or pretending they're inside giant bubbles...

I also volunteer at a soup kitchen over the summer.

Posted : September 9, 2009 2:33 pm
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

My favorite volunteer work is anything that has to do with little children. They are the best!

That's the truth, lol. Workin with kids is awesome. One summer (before college) I helped out with 2-3 year olds and man are they great, and funny. ;)
Usually all I do now (if I do anything 8-| ) is random stuff that needs to be done around campus

Posted : September 9, 2009 4:57 pm
littlgriz
(@tina-cat-moma)
NarniaWeb Regular

i lke working with spechal neds children and adults

in aslans paws have a good day

Posted : September 10, 2009 6:26 am
Narnia93
(@narnia93)
NarniaWeb Regular

I enjoy anything that has me outside doing something. I also have my Eagle Scout and for that I, along with the help of many people built 2 benches and four endtables for a nursing home with dementia and alzheimer's. We also trimmed the courtyard so they wouldn't hit their head on anything.

Narnia93 - "It is hard for you, little one," said Aslan. "But things never happen the same way twice."

Posted : September 11, 2009 12:27 pm
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Speaking of nursing homes, my homeroom at school is going to visit a nursing home this Wednesday! I get to play a few violin songs while everyone else sings. Can't wait to meet all of the people living there, and I love that feeling you get when you know you've helped someone out.

Posted : September 11, 2009 3:40 pm
narnialover4
(@narnialover4)
NarniaWeb Nut

I just got into NJHS (National Junior Honor Society) which is a group that does twenty hours of community service.

"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"

Posted : September 26, 2009 5:43 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: