Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 5 / 154
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Not a bad day today. High about 75. but next to nothing for wind. The Mrs., and I were able to do a bit of gardening, and suprisingly we recieved very few bug bites. The sun was a bit on, and off though, and for awhile I thought we might get wet. I felt a couple of drops, but she said that she felt nothing. I guess it was all in my head. 8-}
The weather channel is calling for a chance of rain in the morning, but It's looking real iffy to me. Thankfully the projected highs are all in the lower 80's next week

Topic starter Posted : July 20, 2013 4:59 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Boy did the weather people miss today! Though really it wasn't their fault. ;)) We were supposed to hit 100F today but due to pop-up storm after pop-up storm (that wasn't predicted), we never even made it to 90F today. I think it's currently 84F or so?

Love that rain!

In the weather predictors' favor, the rest of KS was that hot.

Posted : July 22, 2013 12:13 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

More spotty thunderstorms with torrential rains here in southeast Minnesota today; some streets and fields flooded again. Pretty impressive lightning show however!

This is statistically our warmest time of the year, but a cold front coming down from Canada is bringing much cooler air than is seasonal (not that I'm complaining!), with lows here the next few days around 48F/9C. Possible record lows - near freezing - may come north of here.

Even in high summer, winter's not far away. ;))

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : July 25, 2013 11:54 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

This is statistically our warmest time of the year, but a cold front coming down from Canada is bringing much cooler air than is seasonal...

Yeah, about that... ;)) Yesterday's high was 65F. :-o What???? I didn't see the local news, but I'm sure that was a new record. Last year it was 109F which is a good deal more normal for this time of year. But I am not complaining!!! Not at all. ;))
We've been getting a lot of fantastic rain as well which has truly been a blessing after two years of severe drought. :)

Posted : July 29, 2013 4:18 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

One guy said he's been "Sweating like a chicken." ;))

:)) Never heard that one before, lol.

After the super heat a few days ago (posted above) we've been having cooler than normal weather here. ... We've had some of those perfect pop-up thunderstorms where they're nothing but some thunder and rain. I LOVE those.

I can ditto you in all that! The heat around mid-July (see my last post ^) was horrendous, but when it finally broke, it has been cooler than normal, with a number of lovely thunderstorms, climaxing on July 19th when they rolled and roared through the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) for 5-6 hours. Glorious!

Ahh, IlF, -2C sounded lovely when we were in our major heat wave. ;))

Sounds like you're getting the cooler-than-usual summer temps too, Puddleglum and stargazer. Overall, the air is so much more manageable this year, isn't it (except for that nasty spell earlier)? :)

but a cold front coming down from Canada is bringing much cooler air than is seasonal

Our pleasure to oblige in this way. :))

We've been getting a lot of fantastic rain as well which has truly been a blessing after two years of severe drought. :)

Us too, yet your drought was worse than ours. Grateful for all the rain this year. Whereas in 2012 at this time, everything was brown, parched, and ugly; this year, all the vegetation, including the grass, is lush and green and growing so well. Hurrah for consistent rainfall!

This week we remain a bit below average (today is quite below, as it's only 20C/68F), and the upcoming weekend, a long one for us, is only hitting a high of 21C/basically 70F ... so unusual for this time of year. However, I, too, am not complaining at all, no sirree! So thankful for the more refreshing air and, again, for all the life-giving precipitation.

I am still waiting for the nights to get 10C/50F and below before I start up my morning walks again. And August is this Thursday! :-o :D July is always our hottest month, and it's nearly behind us, yay!

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : July 29, 2013 8:27 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Ditto how much nicer this summer has been, with the cooler temps and the lush vegetation. :)

Yesterday morning my parents' small southern Minnesota town set a new record low for the date, 46F/8C. This just after the hottest time of year. And on Saturday, nearby Rochester set a new record for the coolest high temperature for the date...61F/16C. So pleasant! Not to mention the savings on the electricity bill.

Summer-like warmth is expected to return this week, but still not to the extremes we sometimes get.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : July 29, 2013 9:47 am
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Definitly cooler. Far less humid as well. It's nice to go to work, and not feel like I've been in a sauna #:-s
Got back from camping with one of the siblings, and was happy that I took the cold weather sleeping bag. Snoozed right well when I warmed up (-| Though getting out of a nice warm sleeping bag in the middle of the night to check the outhouse door tends to wake me up quick.
I must not complain too much though. My Scout Troop is up in the Boundry Waters Canoe Area this week. Wonder if they remembered the long underwear :-s

Topic starter Posted : July 29, 2013 5:01 pm
Aravanna
(@aravanna)
NarniaWeb Nut

It's so wet for Kansas. What is this? O_o Anyways, I won't rehash what FK has already said, needless to say, it's strange.

Us too, yet your drought was worse than ours. Grateful for all the rain this year. Whereas in 2012 at this time, everything was brown, parched, and ugly; this year, all the vegetation, including the grass, is lush and green and growing so well. Hurrah for consistent rainfall!

Sounds like we've had very similar weather patterns for being in such different climates. :P But yes, it's refreshing for the sky to take care of the plants without human intervention. Last year I felt I was barely stringing my flowers along under the gaze of a resentful sun.

And 46F 'gazer? Brrrrr! Too cold. (I know there are a few people here who will disagree with me.) ;)

Posted : July 29, 2013 6:57 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

46F is perfect camping weather!

The Boundary Waters, Puddleglum? I bet it is cool up there right now...but that might help keep the mosquitoes and flies at bay just a bit.

Last year I felt I was barely stringing my flowers along under the gaze of a resentful sun.

I really like this expression! It paints a vivid mental image for me.

Today is cloudy and cool by summer standards, but extremely humid. I suspect warm southern air is bubbling up, just waiting for the right moment to deposit yet more rain. ;))

Posted : July 30, 2013 7:25 am
johobbit
(@jo)

My Scout Troop is up in the Boundry Waters Canoe Area this week. Wonder if they remembered the long underwear :-s

If it's cool here, I can't imagine what it would be like there. Ahhh, so beautiful. And as 'gazer mentioned, at least the nasty bugs may be few and far between. Hoping they have a grand time!

Sounds like we've had very similar weather patterns for being in such different climates. :P But yes, it's refreshing for the sky to take care of the plants without human intervention. Last year I felt I was barely stringing my flowers along under the gaze of a resentful sun.

So lovely to see you in here, Ara! :D And, indeed ... a cooler, wetter summer for each of us, overall, even though we are hundreds of miles apart and quite different in both longitude and latitude.
*utterly agrees with stargazer how that last sentence compels such imagery in one's mind's eye* (Aravanna, somehow your writing has always really drawn me in, and even this smaller example is no exception.)

And 46F 'gazer? Brrrrr! Too cold. (I know there are a few people here who will disagree with me.) ;)

Ha! And 3 guesses who those folk would be. ;)) :D

Our weather is cool-ish and cloudy today, with sunny breaks, but by Thursday a bit of humidity is building in as the sky dumps rain on us yet again, with more refreshing air on the weekend. Honestly, this latter week of July has felt more like the latter week of August! :D/ And the temperatures at nights this past week have been so very comfy to sleep in (around 14C/57.2F).

Posted : July 30, 2013 8:53 am
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

Ha! And 3 guesses who those folk would be.

*raises hand*

Our weather has been very similar to Jo's (only a few degrees difference really). Overnight temps have been wonderful for sleeping. Looks like the next week will be pretty good too. . . a bit warmer than I'd like, but still bearable (and for July, I'll take it!)

I'm hoping that this heralds an early autumn and a nice snowy winter :D

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : July 30, 2013 11:45 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Ha! And 3 guesses who those folk would be. ;)) :D

I need more than three guesses because I know four of you. ;) ;))

Posted : July 30, 2013 1:02 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

:)) Okay, then, sign in!

1) JO
2)
3)
4)
Does anyone else want to be added to the polar bear list? ;;) ;))

Somehow, even though today turned out very cloudy and began cool, the humidity seems fairly high tonight. One doesn't fully appreciate the glory of non-humid days until they experience humidity once more. Ugh. :P I am going to resist putting the window A/C on, but will be turning on the ceiling fans any moment now.

I'm hoping that this heralds an early autumn and a nice snowy winter :D

That's the way it's looking! :D

I recall way back in the spring (the spring which never was, that is ;))), the Farmers' Almanac predicted a cooler, wetter summer, overall. Bang on! B-)

(P.S. Just passed 12400 posts 4 posts ago. :o) )

Posted : July 30, 2013 1:08 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

Does anyone else want to be added to the polar bear list?

*raises hand again*

I cannot wait for cooler weather. . . so much nicer for sleeping (and the clothing is just so much more fashionable and snuggly)

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : July 30, 2013 2:09 pm
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I guess I must raise my hand when it comes to the colder weather. Though to be perfectly honest, I must say that the current conditions suit me quite well.
Speaking of which. Today was a very pleasant day to get out and do some gardening. Not too humid, with a little wind to cool you. Pulling weeds while the insects buzz overhead is a sort of peaceful way to pass the time.
Still awaiting the possible storms that are supposed to pass by tonight. I really don't want to unroll the hose, and sprinkler again.

Topic starter Posted : July 30, 2013 5:30 pm
Page 5 / 154
Share: