Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 6 / 154
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

... And the temperatures at nights this past week have been so very comfy to sleep in (around 14C/57.2F).

Hate to tell you this, but those are currently early morning winter temperatures down here. :( Although it is nice to have such a mild winter this July, Down Under, especially compared to last year, I'm not looking forward to summer which might be horribly hot, indeed.

Posted : July 31, 2013 12:11 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Our winter has had a couple of cold patches, but generally has been much milder than usual. Last week we had warm sunshine, which is odd for the middle of winter.
Does this mean anything, or is it just a swing in the long-term weather pattern that goes back well before weather was recorded? There has been more snow here in the last few years than when I was young. We've had one lighter snow day this year, one decent fall last year and two substantial falls the year before that.

I recall midwinter being dull, grey and rainy, and late winter having a lot of clear days with frosty starts. Snow was a rarity, falling occasionally but not settling much, and never the sort you could play with. The famous Big Snow of 1992 in our city was a local emergency as the city is right beside the sea and has no snow facilities!
Today is the first day of August, and this is the month I used to look forward to in July, as I knew there would be some early blossoms, some early spring flowers, etc.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : July 31, 2013 11:37 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

The last times I remember us having such a mild winter was back in 1980 and 1982, and after that we had a series of El Nino's so severe that Ethiopia was starving, people were gathering city lawn clippings to feed cows and horses, and our next door neighbour went on a fast to pray for rain. When it eventually came down in bucketfuls, then we had to beg her to stop fasting. ;)

Then the next mild winters were around 2006-9, when there was another El Nino, and when Warragamba Dam was only 35% full and many smaller dams had no water in them at all. Last Summer we had the hottest day ever for Australia, even though it was a neutral year. I rather expect El Nino conditions to arrive once more

Posted : July 31, 2013 1:19 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

Most of our winters have been depressing for a snow lover like me. We haven't had a good snowy winter since 2010. . . it was one of the most gorgeous winters I can remember.

It's been plenty cold in our winters (except this past winters. . . .) but just without much snow.

I'm hoping that that changes this year ;)

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : July 31, 2013 4:47 pm
Aravanna
(@aravanna)
NarniaWeb Nut

Pulling weeds while the insects buzz overhead is a sort of peaceful way to pass the time.

You must have friendly insects where you come from. Thanks to the rain, we've been inundated with mosquitoes here.

Thanks Jo and 'gazer. Ironically, I like writing about the weather and the changing light and moods during the days and seasons more than "interesting" things like people and grand events. But the temperature did seem malicious last year so personification was an easy jump.

You didn't get much snow last year Digs? We got more than usual, but all in late winter. It was very welcome after the drought.

Posted : July 31, 2013 6:42 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)

You didn't get much snow last year Digs? We got more than usual, but all in late winter. It was very welcome after the drought.

No, it was very bizarre! I can remember you and your sister's facebooks being lit up with status updates about the snow though ;)). Last winter we got a good deal of freezing rain, slush, and regular rain, but very little powdery snow. Very bizarre indeed.

Posted : August 1, 2013 4:18 am
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

It's been a little cooler here lately, below 90F/32C and even close to 60F/15.6C in the mornings. That helps to save on the air conditioning. :D

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

Posted : August 3, 2013 8:03 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

but those [around 14C/57.2F] are currently early morning winter temperatures down here. :( Although it is nice to have such a mild winter this July,

Wow, that is mild for winter! Hoping your summer isn't tooo hot, wagga.

Today is the first day of August, and this is the month I used to look forward to in July, as I knew there would be some early blossoms, some early spring flowers, etc.

:) Enjoy the anticipation, coracle. As for our area, we are looking forward to the first colour-changing tinges of leaves. That will not be for awhile yet, though, but as we're in August now, it's closer than it was in July. ;) ;)) And I am keeping a weather eye on any and all sumac bushes. :D

It's been plenty cold in our winters (except this past winters. . . .) but just without much snow.

I'm hoping that that changes this year ;)

Throughout our past winter the snow was quite abundant around here, and long-lasting (well into spring). Hoping it will be the same this year! And more! :D It was the year before that sucked. :P

Yes, indeed, Puddleglum, the weather has been very conducive, overall, for gardening. B-) And I still can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use our hose to water. Thankful for continuing precipitation on a regular basis this year. This is the first summer in a few years where the grass has not turned brown/gone into dormancy at all. Unusually nice. :) And tonight is bringing in more storms, some very heavy, with potential flooding ... again.

Ironically, I like writing about the weather and the changing light and moods during the days and seasons more than "interesting" things like people and grand events.

*Likes* :D

Glad you're getting some relief, Glim, so that the A/C doesn't have to be on so much of the time.

The clouds have moved in, and it is somewhat mildly sticky today (27C/80.6F), 'though not nearly the 44C/111F heat index of a few weeks ago. #:-s The forthcoming rain tonight should break this short-lived humidity.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : August 7, 2013 7:54 am
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

We had a bit of thunder the other day, with reports of power out in the twin cities for a few thousand homes. the news also showed a police car with it's back window broken by hail. thankfully there were no reports of injuries.
Today was actually quite cheerful. Sunny, light wind, low humidity. Picture perfect. As a Marsh-Wiggle I would have to think the other shoe has to drop sometime.
Guess what's in the forecast for tomorrow? 8-|

Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2013 5:47 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I'm loving this cool (for August) weather. Looks like it'll be a great weekend for camping.

I have friends in the area of the Twin Cities hit by that golf-ball size hail the other day. Apparently they will be getting new siding and a roof due to the damage.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : August 8, 2013 7:03 am
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)

It's been insanely humid here today. Fog lasted until noon, and we had MASSIVE showers come through multiple times this afternoon. My sister and I were trying to go some garage sales, but it was raining so hard that we couldn't see the road.

Hoping that this humidity bubble pops before too long. . .

Posted : August 8, 2013 5:03 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

We have had rain, rain, and more rain here. Last week the flood waters finally crossed the farm road at my in-laws' place and filled up their property. Thankfully unlike in 2007 they didn't get any flood water in their houses. We had a break from the rain over the weekend but it's raining again this morning. :P My plants look fabulous. We had a jungle taming day in my backyard yesterday. :P ;))

The more notable weather news from here are the temperatures. :-o It's Summer! And the highs have been in the 80Fs almost constantly the past two weeks with a day or two hitting 90F. These are typically the hottest days of summer though I've been thoroughly enjoying the lack of crazy temps we've had the past two summers. The trade-off is that with all the rain, it's been Louisiana humid here a couple days. And 89F + high humidity is a lot more miserable than just straight up 100F.

Posted : August 12, 2013 3:02 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Glad to hear the houses weren't flooded fantasia. It sounds like you've had the nonstop rain we had earlier this summer, except even more of it. It's actually been relatively dry here the last few weeks, though everything remains lush and green.

Agreed about humid weather being worse than dry weather with higher temps. Unfortunately, summers here tend to be pretty humid (at least by northern standards), with dewpoints commonly in the 70s. And while we've had some of that, I think we've also had more cooler, less humid weather this summer than is usual.

We're in the 'dog days' of summer but even those are cooler and drier than usual. 80F today felt uncomfortably warm. ;)) But the days are becoming noticeably shorter now as we approach my favorite time of year weather-wise: September with its crisp cool days, pleasant evenings full of stars, and fewer bugs and the promise of fall color soon to come.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : August 12, 2013 12:52 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)

Indeed. . . this weather is putting me in the mood for foggy, damp afternoons that come after crisp, cold, frosty mornings, all while the fiery trees disrobe in the howling breeze. . .

Posted : August 12, 2013 1:42 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)

So the weather for the past two days has been brilliant! It's incredibly fall-like. Today's high is only 69 degrees! Overnight lows have been in the mid 40's, which is perfect sleeping weather!. It feels great to break out some of the fall clothing once again.

I'm hoping that this is a harbinger of what is to come this fall and winter. . . if it is, we polar bears are in for a real treat!!! :D

Posted : August 14, 2013 3:42 am
Page 6 / 154
Share: