Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 153 / 154
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Two mornings ago I hustled out to do a few clean up jobs in my garden before the cold weather moved in. It was about 60F. Then the cold front came through and my kids and I watch them temps slowly drop.

Yesterday I had to run an errand in the middle of the afternoon. It was bright and sunny, but as soon as I stepped outside the wind was knocked out of me. My van said it was 28F and I certainly hadn't dressed warm enough.

Today is supposed to be very cold as well, but then it's supposed to start warming up. In fact, there is a chance for a thunderstorm over the weekend!

Posted : February 24, 2023 6:35 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Everything is white again here! Grin But that snow came after some serious freezing rain last week. More freezing rain is expected tomorrow, with strong winds. Snow could move in later. This winter is really quite a disappointing one. Nothing like our usual white winters. But whenever the snow does come, we are thoroughly enjoying it! Smile  

This morning, on my walk, I definitely noticed the difference in the light changing. I am coming home well into dawn, rather than just after dark. Already missing those long nights. But in a couple of weeks, our clocks move ahead, allowing me to walk in the dark again in the early morning hours. Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : February 26, 2023 9:43 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Central southern Victoria (Melbourne and surrounds) is doing its usual "if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes" act again. Last week, up to a couple of days ago, we had almost wall-to-wall sunshine and several days when the temperature was well over 30 C (not something I've missed while living in England, but I spent the first 30 years of my life in Australia and I adapt back very quickly). And now, after some very welcome rain, it's all below 20 C for my final week here and I'm out of the dresses and into trousers and long sleeves again. But I did just check the current weather back home in Cheshire (I'll be landing in the UK this coming Sunday) and it's all below 10 C, so I shall soon have to get used to winter again... Grin  (But I have had a fantastic time.)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : February 26, 2023 5:03 pm
johobbit liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

I actually have close friends who are from Australia, so I know a thing or two about the season differences.

In talking of weather, we were hit with cold weather in Oregon. There had been some snow fall off and on.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : February 26, 2023 5:32 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Gonna be snow-rain-slush at my destination tomorrow apparently!

Posted : February 27, 2023 7:52 am
johobbit
(@jo)

We were supposed to receive yet another snow, then freezing rain, storm yesterday. Thankfully, the latter hardly made its appearance. But the former sure did. It was falling thickly for along time, then eased, as the afternoon went on. Very beautiful! We have another system moving in on Friday. The forecast is for another good dump of snow. Grin Now, this is like the winters I know and love! Dancing  

Posted : February 28, 2023 6:28 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

It was March 1st, yesterday, the first day of Autumn, here in Australia, and rather warm at the moment, though drier than it was last year, when Lismore to the north of Sydney was flooded out, followed by floods right along the NSW coast.  Yes, the North Island of Aotearoa has taken a bit of a pounding with Cyclone Gabrielle plus an earthquake in Wellington, I heard. Nothing like what has happened on the borders of Türkiye & Syria, which was truly terrible, I fear.

Posted : March 1, 2023 9:43 pm
fantasia liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Happy Autumn, wagga! Smile My favourite season of the year (winter's a close second).

We had a wonderful winter storm last night, starting about 4 pm. Blizzard conditions at times. The meteorologists began warning us of this storm early in the week, so there was plenty of time to prepare. Everything was magical this morning, laden with the snow. And—such a treat—we had thundersnow last night! I can't recall the last time I experienced this. Huge flashes of sheet lightning, accompanied by rolls of thunder ... all while it was snowing heavily outside. So cooooool!

Posted : March 4, 2023 2:12 pm
fantasia liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I love thundersnow! It's been a while since I've seen it too.

Incidentally, the Weather Channel's Jim Cantore loves his thundersnow in this famous video.

It's been quiet and rather mild here (highs close to 40F/4C) with some snow melt, but we may replenish it tonight (it may also be rain depending on which atmospheric profile we have when the storm arrives).

Enjoy your snow, and your autumn, Auntie.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : March 5, 2023 12:47 pm
johobbit liked
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Happy Spring, johobbit, stargazer, fantasia, Jasmine & Silverlily, in the Northern Hemisphere, when it soon will be St Patrick's Day next Friday. Whilst you still continue to have snow & cold spells, we started March with a heatwave, & for about a week it was hotter in autumn than it was all last summer, with temperatures nudging 40C, though not a patch on what we got in January, in 2020, when the temperatures were 49.7C, just a fraction under 50C. Now it is raining on and off, and we are back to normal, which, we are told, will be a neutral state of affairs. Neither the waning La Niña nor El Niño, which will let the Pacific Ocean settle down. 

Posted : March 12, 2023 4:56 pm
johobbit and fantasia liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

40C, @waggawerewolf27? Whew! It's going to be a blistering 40F (4C) here by Wednesday.

We may be 2 weeks into meteorological spring and a week from astronomical spring, but we keep getting snow.

Like sports, weather is full of stats. For example, today was the 105th consecutive day of snow cover of at least 1 inch (25.4mm). The average is 80 and the record is 136 days almost 60 years ago.

Also, our snowfall season-to-date is 80.3 inches (2.04m), good for 8th place in the all-time snowfall records. With more expected by the weekend, 5th place is almost in the bag and first place (98.6 inches) is almost in sight.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : March 13, 2023 8:12 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Dear, dear! All that snow but not nearly enough for another ice age? We are due to get another 39.9C (hop, skip & jump off 40C) day on Sunday, which is unusual for March, when the weather starts to cool down. But never mind, I'll look forward for 4C (40F) winter mornings to arrive in late May, which is about normal for us, in Sydney. 

Posted : March 16, 2023 2:53 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Spring is hesitant to come here, despite it almost being April. Our snow is melting, but slowly.

The forecast indicates that it will not reach 50F/10C here this month, the first time without 50F in March since 2001. In fact, the average date for the first 60F/16C high is March 28, and we're nowhere close to that.

I really don't mind; the heat, humidity (and tree pollen!) will be here soon enough.

Posted : March 25, 2023 11:53 am
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Whoowheee, those are oppressive temps, @waggawerewolf27. I hope that, as you entered Autumn a few weeks ago, things will stabilize soon to more comfy weather.

Now, that is quite the thundersnow enthusiast, @stargazer. LOL  

Oddly enough, the most amount of snow we received was in this month ... March! January is typically our snowiest month, but not this year. Now, after a couple of days of above-freezing temperatures and some rain, much of the snow had gone, but today, after starting this morning at 9C / 48F with a mixture of sun/cloud, this afternoon, heavy clouds moved in, and it has been snowing since early afternoon. So-o-o pretty outside! Grin Big snowflakes (and lots of them) swirling and twirling.

Friday may go up to 10C / 50F, with heavy rain, so bye-bye snow, for now, anyway ... we can still get more in April and even early May. Smile I did see my snowdrops appearing around the yard this morning, plus robins have been spotted, along with cardinals and woodpeckers.

But, a fun surprise again this afternoon: more thundersnow! Dancing  

We were in Montréal this past weekend visiting family, and there were some smashing snow squalls there, a couple of which we had the fun of walking in! Grin  

Posted : March 29, 2023 1:51 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

We had pretty energetic thunderstorms last night around midnight - but no thundersnow, as it was raining pretty hard.

But winter's not over yet, and some may call this next chapter an April Fool's joke. A big storm is moving in from the southwest, possibly bringing hail and tornadoes on its warm side - and snowfall rates of up to 3 inches (75mm) per hour on the cold side. And we're likely to be on the cold side. We could get up to 10 inches (255mm) of snow tonight (that would be enough to move us into 3rd place all-time for season totals). And maybe...thundersnow?

Posted : March 31, 2023 11:07 am
johobbit liked
Page 153 / 154
Share: