Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 152 / 152
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Yup, white for us, too.  And drifts?  Hoo, boy, did we ever!  Snow came in early November, and didn't go away again, as it usually does.  Now, the ice is finally almost gone, although there are still piles of snow in parking lots, slowly melting, left over from being ploughed up from the first snowfall.

Looking forward to more sunshine now, as the mountain to the south of town blocks it out during the depth of winter.

This post was modified 1 week ago by aileth

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2023 10:47 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Meanwhile we've passed midsummer here,  but February is often the hottest month. Today and tomorrow will be late 20s C, and the winds have been blowing strongly, spoiling the chance of sitting out on my deck under a sun umbrella!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2023 11:36 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Similarly, we often have a serious cold snap near the beginning of February (despite the arrival of Groundhog Day, which is close to the old cross-quarter day Imbolc, marking the approximate halfway point between the solstice and upcoming equinox).

This next week is no exception, though this has been a generally mild winter so it just seems colder. Lows will approach -20F/-29C and highs will be around 1F/-17C.

We received a few inches of powder snow overnight, enough to push this month into a tie for the 10th-snowiest January on record with about 25 inches/635mm. (Other months tend to be snowier since in a normal winter the cold Arctic air pushes the storm track south of here, sparing us the big snowfalls).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2023 11:48 am
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Nut

I didn't go outside today, but when I went to the garage to get something I was almost hopping on my toes because the concrete floor was freezy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2023 9:36 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
NarniaWeb Zealot
Posted by: @coracle

Meanwhile we've passed midsummer here, but February is often the hottest month. Today and tomorrow will be late 20s C, and the winds have been blowing strongly, spoiling the chance of sitting out on my deck under a sun umbrella!

Over the Ditch to your West, the weather is rather stormy, though hot enough for summer. We've been hearing dire tales of Auckland being drowned in a most savage cloudburst for New Zealand. That was last Friday. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QDQp ... N3dGM/view

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2023 9:43 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Nut

...Yeah I've been hearing from an Aussie friend in an art Discord that her workplace and a bunch of the local streets were flooded out. >.<

Just mildly chilly and soggy here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 30, 2023 4:30 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
NarniaWeb Zealot

But are you in New Zealand, yourself, where it is supposed to be summer? Or are you somewhere further north of the Equator, maybe in USA, Canada, or Europe perhaps, where it is still winter? 

It is still quite warm, but not unpleasantly so, here, in neighbouring Australia, or in this particular corner of it, at any rate. 

This post was modified 3 days ago by waggawerewolf27

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QDQp ... N3dGM/view

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 30, 2023 4:44 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Nut

Uh no, not in your neck of the woods. I'm in the Southeastern bit of the US - officially it's winter here, but my region is also semitropical so it rarely winters much. We do get floods sometimes in my city, we're on a river, but we've gotten lucky thus far this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 30, 2023 4:47 pm
Page 152 / 152
Share: