Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 148 / 154
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Good to hear, Courtenay. Glad you're up and at it again. Smile And that you have received rain!

We are in need of precipitation too, and it looks like later tomorrow and most of Tuesday it will be falling (sometimes stormily), so, yay! This will usher in very comfortable early Autumn temperatures, which will be lovely, as today and tomorrow are hot and humid—a very short-lived stretch, typical for August.

However, Friday night and last night were only 9°C / 48.2F, so walking in the early morning hours (under the night sky and into the dawn) was wonderful! My favourite temp range for walking is between -5C and +5C (23F and 41F), and the latter is well within sight, not too far off, as nighttime temps are forecast to be in the single digits from Tuesday night onwards. Dancing My favourite season is nearly upon us!

While stating my best range for walking, but I still enjoy -10C or so, particularly if there is only a slight wind (vs a bitter, strong one).

I am SO glad we are on this far side of summer for another year. Giggle Grin  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : August 28, 2022 3:02 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

We had quite a bit of rain over the weekend, but it was accompanied with high winds and at least 5 confirmed EF-0 tornadoes (the weakest rating). Lots of property damage but no injuries reported. The torrential rains brought some flooding to the Minnesota State Fair, causing tens of thousands to run for cover.

The rain and humidity have passed, and we're forecast to have a spectacular late-summer week now: highs around 80F/27C and lows around 60F/16C. Still a little above my preferred temperature range but quite pleasant.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : August 29, 2022 5:14 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

We have been having some lovely days now. No need for heaters now it is the first day of Spring officially in Australia. But we are told that we are to have a third La Niña. Hopefully not as strong as the two previous ones were. We could do without more flooding.

Posted : August 31, 2022 7:32 pm
Courtenay liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Here in my NZ city we've got blue sky, sunshine and 19 degrees, with the merest of breezes. Nice!

No more flooding here either, ta!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : August 31, 2022 8:12 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

After a few days of sunshine and blue skies, we're going back to colder days and showers tomorrow. So, probably no gardening in the morning. If my gardening man comes, I want him to dig out a bush that's been dying for a couple of years,  and move a new bush into its place. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : September 3, 2022 11:25 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Meanwhile, here the first week of meteorological autumn was quite pleasant, perfect for outdoor activities day and night. But summer has one more gasp today and tomorrow, with high humidity and temperatures around 90F/32C.

And the past few days have brought high-level wildfire smoke over the northern part of the US, blown in from fires in the Pacific Northwest and northern California. The sky is a pale blue or even milky white color by day, and almost orange at night. Few stars are visible, and even brighter objects like Mars and Saturn are washed out. The Moon has been a spectacular shade of deep orange, even when it's not near the horizon.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : September 7, 2022 2:10 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

We had a teeny tiny taste of Fall a week or two ago, where the temps dropped about 20F overall from what we were used to, and then they bounced back up again. However, this weekend we are looking at potentially record high temperatures, possibly even over 100F. I'm not looking forward to that. Definitely ready for some cooler (and wetter!) weather.

Posted : September 16, 2022 6:12 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

Definitely spring here. We are having our first northwester winds. These make us tired and dry, like the Mistral in France. 

If you were on Narniaweb in 2004, you might recall a 'norwester' atracking things set up on the mountains here. A huge tent (marquee) was basically pulled down and destroyed by the wind  

I'm resting!

Posted : September 19, 2022 8:43 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

One last taste of summer here, with temperatures approaching the daily record of 91F/33C and heat indices approaching 100F/38C. Quite unusual this late in the season.

A cold front comes crashing through tonight, with a chance of snow in northern Minnesota. It could be 7 months before it is this warm again.

This is the 117th consecutive date of daily highs of at least 70F/21C, the longest stretch on record.

Some trees have started changing colors, though that may be drought-related.

Posted : September 20, 2022 2:18 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Here too, summer is giving its most likely final blast today, as we reach a 97°F humidex level - hot for us for this time of year. However, tonight everything changes (hurrah!), as rain sweeps in, bringing more seasonal air, with tomorrow night—the first day of Autumn (and Bilbo & Frodo's birthday Giggle ), bringing a risk of frost! Grin We are eager for this crisp, clean, fresh air to move in. Dancing  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : September 21, 2022 9:00 am
coracle liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Joining the Last-Day-of-Summer club. It's been consistently 100F the past several days thanks to this big heat dome that's sitting on top of us. There is currently a cold front making its way through the state of Kansas (storms to the north) and tomorrow's high is predicted to be 68F. THAT will be a shock to the system tomorrow. Hopefully we can get some rain too. 

Posted : September 21, 2022 11:52 am
johobbit liked
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Whereas at the other end of the world, we are getting yet another La Niña event with a rain bomb passing over much of Central New South Wales at this moment. It is a little warmer during the day, when we are busy, but quite chilly of a morning & evening. At least the NSW hinterland, very often droughtstricken, is getting a decent drop of rain. All the same, at the moment I wish we could send all the extra rain, or at least some of it, somewhere more Northern Hemisphere. 

Posted : September 21, 2022 3:07 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Autumn in Minnesota is something of a wild card.  Some years the nice weather can go on and on, and other years it comes to a screeching halt with the arrival of winter (I'm looking at you, 1991, with your record-setting Halloween blizzard).

This year has been generally pleasant, if a bit warm.  On Tuesday we came close to a record high, reaching 80F/27C.

This morning, less than 60 hours later, we woke up to a winter wonderland.  About 11mm (0.4 inches) of snow fell officially, enough to cover the trees and grass.  It was rather pretty, contrasted with the red and green leaves on the trees (many trees haven't even started changing colors yet). It was gone by noon but was a little wake-up call to what is just around the corner.

Posted : October 14, 2022 12:25 pm
johobbit liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

We have had some gorgeous Fall weather, albeit we're REALLY dry here. Temps have been in the 60Fs-low 80Fs. 

Well the bottom drops out tonight big time. We're supposed to hit 26F overnight tonight and 24F tomorrow night and then we're supposed to warm back up considerably. I did bring in lots of potted plants and my husband helped me throw some sheets over the rest. I like my flowers. They're pretty and I want them to stay that way for a few more weeks. Giggle  

Posted : October 17, 2022 8:29 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

It hasn't been all that warm, when Spring in Australia often means a rapid escalation in air temperature by the first weekend in October, in New South Wales, at any rate. That is the annual Labour Day long weekend & a public holiday. Currently, much of Victoria is experiencing flooding, though the Goulburn River, in the eastern side of that state is receding. More wet weather is to come. But I strongly suspect that after so much flooding, inevitably a drought will follow next year. Let me know if I am wrong. Wink  

Posted : October 18, 2022 5:59 am
Page 148 / 154
Share: