Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 119 / 154
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

We've had summer for a little over a week now. We haven't hit 100F yet, but it's been close. 98F I believe? And pretty humid too (though nothing by the Gulf's standards). I think it's going to cool down just a bit over the next few days which I'm looking forward to, because I've enjoyed being outside this spring. 

Posted : June 7, 2020 2:26 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

The forecast of heat here today was on target, with some suburbs reporting close to 100F (38C) with heat indices around 108F (42C).

Tropical Depression Cristobal is expected to travel almost straight north from the Gulf toward Lake Superior, putting it just to our east, so very heavy rain is expected over the next couple days, and flash flood watches have been posted for parts of western Wisconsin.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : June 8, 2020 3:26 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

90 degree (F) weather here in TX past few days...  Whew  

This has wreaked havoc on my bird watching and sleeping at night.  Also my window AC unit is having a hard time getting the bedroom & bathroom in the low 70's.  I need to invest in a few fans it seems. Giggle   At least it's been sunny, though at this point I wouldn't mind a thunderstorm.

Speaking of thunderstorms, they are so much louder here in North TX than in Upstate NY.  I'm wondering if it's because I used to live in a bit of a valley, and thus was relatively sheltered from weather extremes (except ice... a lot of ice in that valley).  Honestly, though they are even louder than when I went to school on the shores on Lake Ontario... not nearly as much water though, or as windy (and the wind and waves kind of made it hard to hear much in a storm).  Also no thunder-snow.  😛  In fact, barely any snow falls here at all.  There's plenty of heat lighting in the summer though.  Maybe a meteorology expert could tell me why thunderstorms seem louder and more violent here.  Maybe it's just me, even Tongue .

On a side note, I gotta laugh when everyone here freaks out, calls off work, and stockpiles the entire grocery store when we are expecting a half inch of snow Giggle Perspective is everything. Coffee   (Of course in all honesty... NYers do it too, at the first storm of every winter.)  I miss snow Tongue  

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : June 8, 2020 11:41 pm
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @wolfloversk

90 degree (F) weather here in TX past few days...  Whew  

Texas?! I'm on the gulf coast. Was coming in here to mention... We get our first heat advisory of the year today. Heat index is supposed to be 111F. Actual temp, 98F. Got to "love" tropical weather side effects. 

Posted : June 9, 2020 6:15 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

It's hot. It's windy. It's wheat harvest season. Tongue Hoping to be able to help cut wheat this week at the in-laws' farm, and then hoping we get lots of storms and rain afterwards because I feel very deprived of storms this spring/early summer. 

Posted : June 14, 2020 6:02 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Well, fancy that! It's raining again.  Yes, June is a cooler month for us, typically, but for a supposed desert climate, this is a bit much.  There's even fresh snow on the mountains, as I look out the window.  If we were living in Calgary still that would be no surprise; we had snow in both July and August while there, since it is mountain elevation. But here? I guess we're set to lose our reputation as the "banana belt of BC."

We did have a grand thunderstorm a day or two ago.  The rain was pouring down in buckets; curtains of it gusting in the wind.  Then came the hail.  Fruit season must be coming up--Poor farmers!

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : June 16, 2020 10:34 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Happy solstice! It occurred today at 2144 UTC (4:44 PM in my time zone). It's the beginning of astronomical summer in the Northern Hemisphere and winter in the Southern.

It's the longest day of the year as summer begins; here at 45 degrees north latitude we had 15 hours 37 minutes 50 seconds of daylight. We will lose 1 second of that by tomorrow. Giggle  

It was a pleasant early-summer day here, with a high of 75F/24C.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : June 20, 2020 8:39 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

@stargazer The winter solstice has been & gone in Sydney. We did get some rain last Sunday but it is now cloudy, cold & still dry. I can't get warm at all. But never mind. 

Posted : June 28, 2020 3:39 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I've got myself used to managing NZ winter (wear warm clothes inside the house as well as outdoors, no central heating), but after a week of drizzle and grey skies, hey presto, it's real rain for the next week. 

Taking out my raincoat AND umbrella to go out to catch buses this week for my part time work. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : June 28, 2020 2:14 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Still getting used to the TX heat after a year here, though I think I'm starting to get to that point in the year where my body is used to summer actually kicking in up in NY so the heat won't feel as bad until the fall again (unless last year was a fluke and had a mild summer :P).  I'm enjoying the fact that summer is much less humid here, although we've actually had some bad rain recently.  I think it's been cooler than it was with my last post, but some of the AC units still have trouble keeping the rooms cool.  My bedroom AC has been fixed, at least, thanks to a good vacuuming job though so I don't need to worry about my animals over heating anymore... it's much easier to warm up an aquarium than it is to cool it down 😛

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : June 29, 2020 3:18 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

We had lots of rain, thunder, and lightning overnight, with the airport reporting over 2 inches (50mm) of rain, and some areas near here reporting almost 5 times that, with localized flooding.

The sky is about to clear and the heat and humidity will be on for at least the next week, with heat indices around 100F/38C past July 4.

Posted : June 29, 2020 11:05 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

It's definitely summer here! Embracing (or not) the 100+F temps over the next couple weeks. 

We got ourselves a nice sized pool for our family. Not too big, not too small, perfect for the littles. We've been jumping in there almost every night after the sun is behind the trees. Grin  

Posted : July 1, 2020 2:56 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Yay for pools on hot summer days, fantasia! Grin  

Two and a half weeks ago, we had near freezing temperatures at night and lovely, cool days. But starting nearly a week ago, we have begun a long, hot, humid spell (nearly two weeks long), when the humidex will regularly be hovering around 40C / 104F, sometimes a tad lower; sometimes a bit higher. The temp, itself, will be 32ishC / 89.6F. There will be little relief at nighttime. This is July in Ontario, Canada. Whew Tongue

We are quite dry, too, with no significant precipitation in sight. 

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : July 2, 2020 1:08 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Yes, June is a cooler month for us, typically, but for a supposed desert climate, this is a bit much.  There's even fresh snow on the mountains, as I look out the window. - Aileth.

What or where in Canada would I find a "supposed" desert climate? Please tell me? I'm curious to say the least. We have the Great Victoria Desert, the Tanami Desert, the Strezlecki Desert, Sturt's Stony Desert, the Simpson Desert, the Gibson Desert, the Little Sandy Desert..etc.. Up to 35% of the mainland. Most of them are in Western Australia, Northern Territory, Northern South Australia, Western New South Wales & adjoining regions of Queensland.

And despite good rain in January - February, & in May, the drought continues. A lovely cold snap to wake up in a refrigerator. 3 degrees Celsius this morning. Oh well, it is winter still.

Posted : July 5, 2020 4:42 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

What or where in Canada would I find a "supposed" desert climate? Please tell me? I'm curious to say the least.

On the very southern border, at the foot of the Okanagan Valley, in a little town called Osoyoos, we have the final tip of the Sonoran Desert, which starts in Mexico.  It's not a sandy desert, at least not up here--sagebrush and greasewood and rattlesnakes--but it does get rather hot in the summer.  They've seen 45C, though I personally have only seen 42C--we're half an hour west.  Fortunately for us, there's no shortage of groundwater, so our valley is well irrigated, and grows a prolific amount of fruit.  Two years ago we had significant forest fires--the whole mountain above us went up in smoke--but didn't have to worry much because of the green belt formed by hayfields and orchards.

This year, we are off to a cooler than usual start, though it's sure to make up for that soon.  Oh well, the river doesn't really warm up enough for swimming until we've had a week of +40 weather, so bring it on.

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : July 6, 2020 11:08 am
Page 119 / 154
Share: