Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 118 / 154
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

That's a really cool video, Courtenay!

Today is what I call an adventurous weather day. B-) We had rain pre-dawn, then snowsqualls started around dawn. They have coming about once an hour and lasting for 20+ minutes each. Sometimes they have been so strong that I could hardly see across the road or, behind us, across the field. Then in between, brilliant sunshine. It's around 2°C / 25.6°F. Most nights it is still below freezing, and some nights, a good bit below (as in -10C / 14F).

A couple of weeks ago, the hyacinths, daffodils, and crocuses were peaking out of the gardens, but now, since the cold has come upon us again, they're all confused and kind of closing up again. :P

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : April 21, 2020 8:25 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I'm honestly not sure if we've ever had a nicer spring. I've pretty much had the door and windows open non-stop (except at night) for the past several weeks. We've had a couple cold fronts come through that made me close them up, but that's about it. Helps that there are minimal bugs too.

I think it's going to finally get a bit toasty this weekend and next week, so I may finally have to turn on our A/C.

Posted : April 30, 2020 10:22 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Today is the First of May, and yet our weather is still mild and sunny most of the time here. It's one month until Winter, so either it's about to change suddenly, or it will be a very late 'slow cool-down'.
I've begun weeding my garden again, as the weeds love the sunshine. I'm waiting to mow my lawn once more before winter. Yesterday I had a 6-feet-apart picnic in the local park with my sister, whose house is about 2 miles away. We took our own packed lunch and drink, and sat under dappled shade as it was actually hot! I probably got a bit sunburned.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : April 30, 2020 4:28 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Our spring weather has been up and down, but we've had some glorious days, of which today (Thursday) was one. Crystal clear blue skies, low humidity, no bugs (yet) but with a little tree pollen. We had some rain the other day and it may not be too long before lawns need to be mowed here (for the first, rather than the last, time this season).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : April 30, 2020 7:28 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Today is the First of May, and yet our weather is still mild and sunny most of the time here. It's one month until Winter, so either it's about to change suddenly, or it will be a very late 'slow cool-down'.

Well so far, so good. But yesterday (1st May) was the coldest day for this time of year for more than a decade. We have had quite the brush with winter we could have expected this time of year. If those up in the Attic are considering turning on their Air Conditioning to cope with future heat, We Down Under have been forced to consider turning on our own Air Conditioning to cope with unseasonably cold autumn weather.

Posted : May 1, 2020 11:23 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Well so far, so good. But yesterday (1st May) was the coldest day for this time of year for more than a decade. We have had quite the brush with winter we could have expected this time of year. If those up in the Attic are considering turning on their Air Conditioning to cope with future heat, We Down Under have been forced to consider turning on our own Air Conditioning to cope with unseasonably cold autumn weather.

Can't win, can you? ;) I'm just remembering how last year, I went back to Australia in August for my grandma's 100th birthday. (She's since passed away, very peacefully, bless her.) Every other time I've returned to Australia since I moved to the UK, it's been early in the year — summer or early autumn — with weather to match. Then when I came from a remarkably warm (actually hot!) British summer into the middle of a southern Victorian winter — grey and rainy and cold the whole time with occasional howling winds — I realised I'd forgotten how downright awful our winters around Melbourne can be! :-o

We've had some rain here in south-east England — which is good, as it was very dry for a long time — but today it's sunny again and I'll be going out for a walk as soon as my washing has finished in the machine. My favourite tea room in the next village won't be open, of course, but it's still a lovely area to walk in.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : May 1, 2020 11:45 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Then when I came from a remarkably warm (actually hot!) British summer into the middle of a southern Victorian winter — grey and rainy and cold the whole time with occasional howling winds — I realised I'd forgotten how downright awful our winters around Melbourne can be! :-o

Apparently it has been even snowing down there last weekend, especially in the Australian Alps. A nice cold swathe of Antarctic air to freeze the Tasmanians & near Adelaide as well. We even had a nice drop of rain, ourselves, but it didn't last long. An elderly cousin who had a sugar cane farm north of Mackay decided to move to Launceston but soon ended up returning to the Mainland due to the cold.

I'm glad to hear you are okay in UK. Other Narnia Webbers as well.

Posted : May 3, 2020 2:13 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

We had a very cool and sometimes snowy April. The same is turning out for May! The nights are now regularly getting to below 0C / 32F (great walking weather in the early morning hours), and the days are not in any way warm. In fact, after tomorrow (13C / 55F), we are dropping to single digits Celsius during the days for at the very least a week, apparently. And continuing below freezing temps at night. We could even be having snow this weekend. :)) Last year, the farmers had trouble planting their fields because of too much rain; this year they are delayed because of the cold!

I really enjoy the cooler weather, so am not complaining one bit. But many are grumbling about winter hanging on. :P

Posted : May 5, 2020 5:16 am
coracle
(@coracle)

The warmer weather has been hanging on here, but in the last few days we finally had rain. There hadn't been much since I came home a month earlier. I'm hoping the sun today will allow me to do some more gardening, as there are flower beds to weed and replant with bulbs for spring. And I can also go for a walk, albeit a bit bundled up.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : May 5, 2020 10:19 am
johobbit
(@jo)

It is blizzarding here as I type. :-o When I went for my walk earlier this morning, the temp was -8C / 17.6F, and a windchill above that. The clouds were stunning as the storm moved in. I saw a shelf/roll cloud in the SW (not my pic), which was quite breath-taking.

Being a special weekend for me and our family, this is such a fun and unseasonable gift! :D/ The day is playing out like this: snow squall, sunshine, snow squall, sunshine, over and over. ;))

Looks like it's supposed to warm up to more normal-for-this-time-of-year temperatures later next week.

Posted : May 9, 2020 4:20 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Nice, Jo! Enjoy your snow. :)

It is unseasonably cool here as well, with freeze warnings out for the southern third of Minnesota (the northern part is excluded because the growing season hasn't begun there yet).

There is a chance of snow by morning, which would make this the first Mother's Day with measurable snow here since 1946.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : May 9, 2020 9:34 am
johobbit
(@jo)

Still similar here: well below freezing at night; mostly single digits (Celsius) during the day. But that is changing by Friday, as temperatures sore to normal for May here in the southern half of Ontario. Next week, the forecasters are saying, we could be having a heat index! What a contrast. ;))

We, too, had a small accumulation of snow on Mother's Day. Quite something.

I was thinking this morning when walking in another heavy frost, that we have had more snow in April and May than we had in February this year. :-o /:)

Posted : May 13, 2020 5:39 am
johobbit
(@jo)

So, my post above was less than two weeks ago and we have flown from winter right to summer (no spring!). We had snow and freezing temps twelve days ago; today we are sitting at 27C / 80F with a humidex of 33C / 91.4F. :-o Tomorrow and Wednesday will be even hotter, with nights not giving the wanted relief. Showers arrive sometime on Wednesday, giving way to much more seasonable temperatures the week following, and down to single digits at night again. :)) Honestly, this oppressive weather these few days now is for July ... not May (here, anyway)!

Posted : May 25, 2020 11:19 am
coracle
(@coracle)

It's 20 days since I posted about getting the first rain in about 6 weeks. Now we have had two nights and a day of wet weather, and I'm trusting the weather forecast to be correct, as I want to hang out lots of washing on the outdoor line. I don't have a dryer, and the indoor options are airing/drying racks of the sort that fold out to look like wings. With shorter days and not so much sun/warmth, I need to have washing out on the line by about 10 am to get it mostly dry by 3.

Posted : May 25, 2020 12:16 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Welcome to the new forum!

We received lots of rain last night, with some impressive thunder and lightning.

Summer arrives with a vengeance tomorrow, with highs predicted to range from 94 to 98F (34-37C), with plenty of humidity. I know some other areas routinely get that hot, but we're more known for snow and cold.

Posted : June 7, 2020 1:31 pm
Page 118 / 154
Share: