Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Matthew Goode as CS Lewis

Page 3 / 3
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

They're starting to put screenplays from 2023 online to read for award consideration and guess what. The script for Freud's Last Session is one of them. I haven't read it myself because I'm not that interested in Freud, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone on this forum would like to give it a read.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2023 8:08 am
icarus liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @col-klink

I haven't read it myself because I'm not that interested in Freud, 

For what it's worth, the original play is at least 50/50 split between Lewis and Freud's intellectual viewpoints. Undoubtedly they will be adding some content for the movie adaptation, but I can't see the balance shifting too far in either direction.

Anyway, there is also a new trailer out... 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 4, 2023 4:26 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

So... a writer I find interesting did a review of this movie and I'm reluctant to bring it up because it's a negative review and I don't want to bring everybody down. FWIW though I actually don't agree with this writer on a lot of things, particularly movies. There are plenty that he wouldn't recommend that I would and vice versa. That being said, movies like this have an appeal for him they don't have for me, so his review probably speaks for a sizeable chunk of the target audience. He does praise some aspects of the movie, particularly Hopkins's performance, and his criticism is interesting even though, like I said, he's probably wrong. Giggle  

‘Freud’s Last Session’ Imagines A Debate With CS Lewis On The Existence Of God (religionunplugged.com)

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2023 7:48 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

To be fair, most of his comments seem pretty much in line with most of the mainstream reviews - that the inserted flashback scenes, far from elevating the stage-bound source material into the cinematic realm, simply serves to distract from the main head-to-head debate and disrupts the pace and momentum.

Also, based on the original play, i would also agree that the debate never really goes into a great deal of emotional or intellectual depth - its more of a surface level jaunt through each of their "greatest hits" as he says. Still, i quite enjoyed the repartee of the original play's dialogue, which whilst not quite Aaron Sorkin levels of quippy back-and-forth, was still entertaining and engaging all the same, so i'll probably go and see the movie regardless,.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 14, 2023 1:16 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @icarus

To be fair, most of his comments seem pretty much in line with most of the mainstream reviews - that the inserted flashback scenes, far from elevating the stage-bound source material into the cinematic realm, simply serves to distract from the main head-to-head debate and disrupts the pace and momentum.

FWIW, the stuff about the flashbacks in reviews has actually made me respect the movies' marketing more. Giggle I thought it was silly how they were making a movie about a philosophical discussion look like a horror movie. But some of the stuff in the flashbacks sounds like it could be considered kind of horror-esque. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2023 7:21 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

So does the movie mention that Jill Flewett, a teenager who stayed with C. S. Lewis during air raids, much like the four Pevensies did with Prof. Kirke, later married Sigmund Freud's grandson, Clement? I'm kind of assuming they don't mention that since no Narniawebber who has seen the play has. But they totally should have mentioned it. LOL  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2024 3:14 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

So although this movie kind of disappeared into oblivion as far as a theatrical release was concerned (I think once Sony Pictures realised it wasn't going to be a serious contender in the awards season, they decided not to push for wider release) apparently the film has now dropped on Netflix... in the US at least.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/freuds-last-session-confirms-netflix-streaming-debut-in-the-us/

If anyone in the USA therefore does get a chance to watch it, I'd be intrigued to see what the reviews are like from a more Narnia / CS Lewis fanbase perspective.

I'm probably not expecting anything drastically different from the core set of critics reviews, as most of them are fairly consistent, and overall they are reflective of the reception the source play got as well, but I'm intrigued none the less.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2024 5:07 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: