Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Is “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” a Xmas Story?

Page 1 / 2
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Hello everyone! With the Christmas season upon us, now seemed a good time to ask the forum: Do you consider The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to be a Christmas story? Why or why not? I have my opinion, but I’d like to read your thoughts.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 3, 2018 5:06 pm
King_Erlian
(@king_erlian)
NarniaWeb Guru

I would say yes, it is a Christmas story. The Narnians are constantly going on about it always being winter and never Christmas... and then Father Christmas shows up, implying that it is Christmas. Although, even when I first read the book when I was about 7 or so, I was confused as to why it was "Christmas" and not "Aslanmas". Maybe King Frank and Queen Helen instituted the holiday in Narnia?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2018 9:21 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

It is definitely a Christmas story imo, for the same reasons as Erlian expressed. Some people (even in my family) think of it as an Easter story though because of Aslan being resurrected. But the snow pretty much confirms its Christmasness to me. :D

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2018 12:10 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I think it definitely qualifies as a Christmas story, so that's what I voted for in the poll, but to me it's essentially a blend of Christmas and Easter... there's a lot of Christmas themes and visuals, but so much of Easter as well. Perhaps a more obvious and direct link to Easter in the climax of the story, but the wonder of Aslan's arrival, the promise that the true king will upend the evil in Narnia, and the Pevensies' travels to meet him are also quite evocative of the birth of Jesus, the angels heralding the newborn king, and the people that followed the star to Bethlehem to see the Christ Child. And of course it's Aslan's arrival that makes it Christmas in the first place.

But honestly, an excuse to read it twice a year at Christmas and Easter is certainly welcome. ;))

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2018 5:41 am
Artorius Pendragon
(@artorius-pendragon)
NarniaWeb Newbie

So, I know that people have expressed that they think that this book is a Christmas story because Father Christmas shows up, and while that is a super big clue towards us looking at it as a Christmas story, it's much more than just a fun cameo.
You see, Jadis made it always winter and never Christmas. As someone who lives in MN, which means that it's winter usually at least 6 months out of the year. The only good thing about winter is that Christmas is coming!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Also keep in mind, that winter, though it can be fun, often isn't. Since my house is heated with wood, I've had to get up early in the morning, or stay up late at night to make sure that my family stays warm. (I'm not the Dad, btw, it's more just a chore) There have been times when our family snowplow has broken down, and we've had to shovel out snow drifts that are five feet tall. This isn't a pity party, it's just case and poit, winter can be tough. And like I said, Christmas is the best part of winter.
So, if it were winter, and never Christmas, then that would mean that the best part of this mostly uncomfortable thing would be gone. In other words, the hope of winter would be gone. The hope of CHRISTmas would be gone.
The White Witch's rule has caused the hope to be gone from Narnia. There is no positives to her reign. The other thing to point out is that many animals go into hibernation during the winter, and it's almost as if the spirit of Narnia has been put to sleep.
However, with the return of Aslan, and the fulfillment of the prophecy, it doesn't just elminate winter, oh no. It's much better than that. Instead, the Narnians, (and specifically the children) receive the benifit of the best thing that winter has to offer. They get to have a Narnian Christmas. People have pointed out that isn't it weird that the Narnians have Christmas, and my opinion is, "not really". First of all, we know that Aslan is known by another name in our world. (Jesu-) The other thing though is that there are certain things that come with the idea of "Christmas" that another name, such as Winter Solstace, or whatever, wouldn't carry.
The book really is about the coming of Christmas. Not just that one scene, but the entire book! Why so? Because the whole thing is about the return of hope, and joy, and love to Narnia, and that is what Christmas, and Christ, are all about.

(To all who are interested, you can check out my book youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC__yqP ... _as=public)
Further up and further in!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2018 3:13 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Well ironically I'm reading it to my kids right now because it definitely works as a Christmas book, but the more I think about it, the more I lean towards an Easter story instead.
Yes it has snow, yes it has Father Christmas, but the whole point of the second half is the return of Aslan, his death, and resurrection, so I lean Easter myself. :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2018 10:10 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I don't really consider it a Christmas story myself because only one three and half chapters take place during Christmas and they aren't the climactic chapters either. (They're a little way past the middle.) For me, a story has to either mostly take place around Christmas or have Christmas be the climax for it to count as a Christmas story. But if you consider The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe one, I don't care enough about the subject to argue with you.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2018 2:27 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm actually am in the middle of watching/reading LWW right now, and the thought occurred to me... why not do half the story now, ending with the Witch's Winter, and then pick up again in Easter? The first half has me totally in the mood for Christmas anyway. :D
But could I possibly wait till Spring to find out how it ends? :-s

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2018 10:42 am
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

I've never thought of LWW as a Christmas story at all. You could've read almost the whole thing without getting many Christmas vibes at all. The fact is that it doesn't revolve around Christmas, and the Pevensies goal is not related to Christmas. While reading it during Christmas would certainly remind you of a Christmas story, I don't necessarily think of it as that.  In fact, I would never had known the book took place during Christmas had Father Christmas not arrived. Yet I always thought of it as a book to be read during winter. Grin

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 21, 2021 7:55 pm
coracle liked
Geekicheep
(@geekicheep)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hey guys, I know I'm very late in this one (so late that it's mid-summer, lol) but I definitely consider LWW to be a Christmas story.  Is it *just* a Christmas story?  Of course not.  It's about so much more.  But it's got snow, sleighs, Santa Claus, even Turkish Delight (which I've heard was a popular Christmas dessert in the UK back then).  The Disney movie also came out in December 2005, so it was very much a Christmas thing for me that year.  So IMO it has more Christmas stuff in it than the movie "White Christmas" (which my mom recently wanted us to watch cuz it was one of her all-time faves).  Now I wouldn't put it on the same level (in terms of overall "Christmas-y-ness") as Rudolph, or Christmas with the Kranks, or the Grinch, but I think it totally counts.  And in some ways it counts more, because it's less about Santa and presents than those others, and actually touches a bit on the true reason for the season.  Or at least that's what I tell myself as an excuse to watch LWW again. 🙂

But all joking aside, whenever tis the season to be jolly, LWW is absolutely in my rotation of Christmas movies.

Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2021 7:44 am
Courtenay liked
Mrs Smooshy
(@mrs-smooshy)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @artorius-pendragon

So, I know that people have expressed that they think that this book is a Christmas story because Father Christmas shows up, and while that is a super big clue towards us looking at it as a Christmas story, it's much more than just a fun cameo.
You see, Jadis made it always winter and never Christmas. As someone who lives in MN, which means that it's winter usually at least 6 months out of the year. The only good thing about winter is that Christmas is coming!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Also keep in mind, that winter, though it can be fun, often isn't. Since my house is heated with wood, I've had to get up early in the morning, or stay up late at night to make sure that my family stays warm. (I'm not the Dad, btw, it's more just a chore) There have been times when our family snowplow has broken down, and we've had to shovel out snow drifts that are five feet tall. This isn't a pity party, it's just case and poit, winter can be tough. And like I said, Christmas is the best part of winter.
So, if it were winter, and never Christmas, then that would mean that the best part of this mostly uncomfortable thing would be gone. In other words, the hope of winter would be gone. The hope of CHRISTmas would be gone.
The White Witch's rule has caused the hope to be gone from Narnia. There is no positives to her reign. The other thing to point out is that many animals go into hibernation during the winter, and it's almost as if the spirit of Narnia has been put to sleep.
However, with the return of Aslan, and the fulfillment of the prophecy, it doesn't just elminate winter, oh no. It's much better than that. Instead, the Narnians, (and specifically the children) receive the benifit of the best thing that winter has to offer. They get to have a Narnian Christmas. People have pointed out that isn't it weird that the Narnians have Christmas, and my opinion is, "not really". First of all, we know that Aslan is known by another name in our world. (Jesu-) The other thing though is that there are certain things that come with the idea of "Christmas" that another name, such as Winter Solstace, or whatever, wouldn't carry.
The book really is about the coming of Christmas. Not just that one scene, but the entire book! Why so? Because the whole thing is about the return of hope, and joy, and love to Narnia, and that is what Christmas, and Christ, are all about.

I'm just north of the border of Minnesota so I totally understand the 6 months of winter reference! haha Seeing that first snow does bring excitement to my kids (and let's face it, myself) that "Christmas is coming!"  The worst of the ice and wind seems to come afterward so I can imagine that dreary, never-ending feeling of "always winter but never Christmas".  I was pregnant with my daughter over winter and she was due in the spring but that was the winter with the "polar vortex" and we had snow into early May.  It made it feel like spring, and thus, my daughter would never arrive.

But I am not sure I have ever considered the book LWW a Christmas story.  I haven't considered it an anything story when it comes to holidays, I suppose.  I think it has a closer connection to Easter but I never thought it FELT like either of those holidays.  I did think it made for a great Christmas movie because that's a great time for a family outing and Christmas seems to have people more interested in fantastic and magical tales.  That's not really pertinent to this thread though.  I can see what people are saying.  I just had never considered it before.  It is a good reminder that Christmas and Easter are intricately connected/related in the Christian faith.  You can't have one without the other.

The Mr, the Mrs (that's me) and the little Smooshers....plus our cats

Fancy Signature pending......

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2021 11:28 pm
Courtenay liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @fantasia

Well ironically I'm reading it to my kids right now because it definitely works as a Christmas book, but the more I think about it, the more I lean towards an Easter story instead.
Yes it has snow, yes it has Father Christmas, but the whole point of the second half is the return of Aslan, his death, and resurrection, so I lean Easter myself. :)

I'm very much with you on this one. There is winter (with Father Christmas), but then there is the restoration of the seasons, all because Aslan is on the move! The children experience spring and summer in quick succession, and there is new life, and joy....  These are all part of Easter.

Because I live in the southern hemisphere, Christmas comes in summer. There is joy and sunshine and the long summer holidays for children, and we go on journeys and camping.

But LWW does not really belong in this for me.
Instead it fits into the Autumnal part of our year, when the plants are dying off and we are picking the late fruit and vegetables from our gardens. 
Meanwhile northern people have spring, with the delight of growth, flowers, and the return of warmth.  Easter incorporates both seasons - dying and new life - and so does LWW.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2021 6:16 pm
Courtenay liked
Mrs Smooshy
(@mrs-smooshy)
NarniaWeb Regular

I wonder if Lewis considered he would one day have people in the southern hemisphere reading his works and that the spring/winter symbology in relation to the holidays would be somewhat lost in translation.

The Mr, the Mrs (that's me) and the little Smooshers....plus our cats

Fancy Signature pending......

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2021 9:01 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@mrs-smooshy  probably not, although he did get letters from all sorts of places.  I wonder what his stepson's children (Douglas Gresham's children) thought, as they grew up in Australia?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2021 11:15 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

You could make that argument. Since the Christmas story is about God's redemption plan, it would seem that The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe could be view as both a Christmas and Easter story.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2021 7:43 pm
Narnian78 liked
Page 1 / 2
Share: