Clear all

Is anyone else tired of the 'problem with susan'

Page 3 / 3
Tigryph
(@tigryph)
NarniaWeb Newbie

@col-klink 
Hello!

It wasn’t my intention to bring up politics, rather to point out that those most likely to find offense with “The Susan Issue” tend to be of that mindset. It’s pretty common for progressive ideals to be at odds with traditional ideals and I think that’s the root of this conflict in regards to Susan and her fate.

I honestly don’t think that critics will ever be happy- there’s no way to write a materialistic character (or any character if we’re honest) without someone taking offense for some reason!

Check out my DeviantArt!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2021 5:33 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

There is no problem with Susan.

The problem is with the people who criticise a writer for saying something that they don't like, or condemning a writer for what they assume he said (when he did not say it).

The problem is with people who failed to read the whole series, and to understand the links between our world and Narnia, or Christian faith and belief in Aslan.  Not all readers or lovers of Narnia have Christian faith, but if people have open minds they can see what was really said in the books. (Nowhere do the Seven Friends of Narnia accuse Susan of having a string of boyfriends, being nasty, or anything more than denying what she once believed, and acting like an empty-headed girl at her worst age !- perhaps to fit in with a different crowd?)

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2021 7:40 pm
Courtenay liked
Page 3 / 3
Share: